Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
A Supporter would support.

You seem hateful.
Bang out of order.

Anyone is free to have an initial opinion on any transfer - there is no sense at all in demanding unconditional support for every transfer made. Such blind obedience would verge on cultish behaviour.

I agree with @Gerbs on this particular transfer. It seems wasteful to me to spend £12m+ of our limited funds on a striker who is older, less effective and less of a fit for our system than our current staring striker: all the more so when DCL has current injury issues and a looming contract situation to deal with before next summer.

Additionally it's entirely valid to look at a transfer individually and form an opinion on it, but that doesn't mean a different opinion won't arise when the transfer is viewed in a wider context (such as alongside other transfers in the same window).

Do I hope Maupay thrives here? Definitely.

Does analysis of his career to date SUGGEST he will thrive here? No.

Given the choice of spending £12m+ on Maupay, £17m+ on BB Diaz or £25m+ on Che Adams (with our budget and current squad) I would prefer Diaz. But at least Maupay is a wiser choice than Adams I suppose.

The bigger issue arises from looking at transfers in combination. If we have £20m to buy McNeil and £12m to buy Maupay, I would have preferred to see us add another £3m or £4m to the kitty and buy Terrier from Rennes. Maybe we tried, maybe not. Who knows?

Hard to get excited about Maupay. I fear he'll underwhelm until DCL comes back, then just sit on the bench where he'll get 25 minutes every so often instead of Rondon.

Hope I'm wrong, and he slots 14 in all competitions this season for us... But did ANYONE honestly look at Brighton last year and envy them for having Neal Maupay in their squad?

Frank also emphasized yesterday the 5 subs and needing to have genuine options when competitors have them.

Perhaps he meant Maupay as the forward we'd definitely get (and that there was money available for) but if Gana arrives, then I still expect one further loan and that has to be with the aim of adding goals surely.

Do we have 2 loans left available(1 domestic, 1 international) ?
From my understanding we have for certain 1 more domestic loan spot which cannot be from Wolves as the only restrictions to it now.

We have 3 more loan spots from abroad we can use.

The only caveat to this is you are allowed a complete maximum in one session of six loans - so if we use them all now that's us unable to loan in January.

The rules on loans are as follows.

You are allowed only two domestic loans at any one time and 4 total over a season (you can thus cancel or msje a loan permanent and thus use that loan spot again to the maximum of 4 loans during the season etc)

There's no restrictions on the number of foreign loans.

But the league restriction is a maximum of 6 loans total allowed to be made in one season by a club.

Not sure if that explains it better

I am on the fence to be honest. I like the strategy of bringing in leaders and scrappers because make no mistake we are going to be fighting in the bottom half so having big characters will help. However, outside of Onana and the failed Kudas attempt there has been little imagination shown. We have opted for tried and tested where the ceiling is pretty much known. I thought if we were to bring 6 in it would be 3 tried and tested and 3 younger high potential from the continent
I see what you mean, but we were very close to going down last season.

What we need IS tried and tested, this summer was never the window to be risky and sign players who may take 12 months to adapt- by that point we could be down

Well, yes, but its only saved if they are replaced with nobody.

But for example, cos im bored.

Rich 80
Allan 70
Gomes 120
Dele 50
Gmblammo 25
JJK 25
Tosun 70
Number 10 120
Delph 100
2 loans 100k Hide and seek, El Hidey

760k "saved"

Onana 60
Tarks 100
Maups 70
Dwighty 70
Coads 80
Ving 50

430k spent so far
These sorts of issues don't get enough attention from the types on here who just wail endlessly about wanting Bill/Mosh/Kev/Frank to "just sign SOMEBODY, anybody!"

We have to get the payroll under control, but it appears that we are adding to it nearly as fast as we're reducing it.

Didn't cost much. We need an out an out goal scorer - possibly that Diaz, or Kudus - each will cost in excess of 30 million.
What?
Bang out of order.

Anyone is free to have an initial opinion on any transfer - there is no sense at all in demanding unconditional support for every transfer made. Such blind obedience would verge on cultish behaviour.

I agree with @Gerbs on this particular transfer. It seems wasteful to me to spend £12m+ of our limited funds on a striker who is older, less effective and less of a fit for our system than our current staring striker: all the more so when Dominic Calvert-Lewin has current injury issues and a looming contract situation to deal with before next summer.

Additionally it's entirely valid to look at a transfer individually and form an opinion on it, but that doesn't mean a different opinion won't arise when the transfer is viewed in a wider context (such as alongside other transfers in the same window).

Do I hope Maupay thrives here? Definitely.

Does analysis of his career to date SUGGEST he will thrive here? No.

Given the choice of spending £12m+ on Maupay, £17m+ on BB Diaz or £25m+ on Che Adams (with our budget and current squad) I would prefer Diaz. But at least Maupay is a wiser choice than Adams I suppose.

The bigger issue arises from looking at transfers in combination. If we have £20m to buy McNeil and £12m to buy Maupay, I would have preferred to see us add another £3m or £4m to the kitty and buy Terrier from Rennes. Maybe we tried, maybe not. Who knows?

Hard to get excited about Maupay. I fear he'll underwhelm until Dominic Calvert-Lewin comes back, then just sit on the bench where he'll get 25 minutes every so often instead of Rondon.

Hope I'm wrong, and he slots 14 in all competitions this season for us... But did ANYONE honestly look at Brighton last year and envy them for having Neal Maupay in their squad?
Is he being brought in to replace Dom? If not then why are you comparing them, especially their age as he's just turned 26??
And also how would you determine if he 'thrives' or not for us... his career to date, more importantly his PL career to date gives him an average return of 9/10 goals a season.. for £12-15m would that not be a decent signing?

I am on the fence to be honest. I like the strategy of bringing in leaders and scrappers because make no mistake we are going to be fighting in the bottom half so having big characters will help. However, outside of Onana and the failed Kudas attempt there has been little imagination shown. We have opted for tried and tested where the ceiling is pretty much known. I thought if we were to bring 6 in it would be 3 tried and tested and 3 younger high potential from the continent
Technically the Kudus move hasn’t failed yet, it could still happen if Ajax refuse to sell Antony to United and/or they bring in Ziyech in from Chelsea

From my understanding we have for certain 1 more domestic loan spot which cannot be from Wolves as the only restrictions to it now.

We have 3 more loan spots from abroad we can use.

The only caveat to this is you are allowed a complete maximum in one session of six loans - so if we use them all now that's us unable to loan in January.

The rules on loans are as follows.

You are allowed only two domestic loans at any one time and 4 total over a season (you can thus cancel or msje a loan permanent and thus use that loan spot again to the maximum of 4 loans during the season etc)

There's no restrictions on the number of foreign loans.

But the league restriction is a maximum of 6 loans total allowed to be made in one season by a club.

Not sure if that explains it better
Spot on, thanks

These sorts of issues don't get enough attention from the types on here who just wail endlessly about wanting Bill/Mosh/Kev/Frank to "just sign SOMEBODY, anybody!"

We have to get the payroll under control, but it appears that we are adding to it nearly as fast as we're reducing it.

I don’t know the wages specifically of each player coming in. I’d imagine Tarkowski and Onana might be on a decent wedge, but I doubt that Vinagre Coady McNeill Maupay are anywhere near the types of contracts we were handing out to Siggurdson Tosun Digne Delph Richarlison James etc. If we can get Gomes and Mina off the books it brings us back into a decent position compared to the one we used to be in where 100k a week five year deal was the going rate for any new signing.

Not all of them. Most seem good, it's really just Maupay and McNeil that have work to do to be viewed as value for money. It will be a real let-down if they spend most of their time as rotational players.
Massive part of our problem last season was the standard of the rotational players. If we’d played our best eleven all year we’d have been fine. Reason us and Leeds were battling relegation was number of injuries and quality of replacements.

Doesn’t set the pulse racing, and I think we still need some out and out proper quality even if it’s on loan, but over a season guys like McNeil and Maupay are important floor-raisers.

What?

Is he being brought in to replace Dom? If not then why are you comparing them, especially their age as he's just turned 26??
And also how would you determine if he 'thrives' or not for us... his career to date, more importantly his PL career to date gives him an average return of 9/10 goals a season.. for £12-15m would that not be a decent signing?
The point is that we've just paid £12m+ to upgrade on Rondon. But Rondon is still here, so we've paid £12m to add another player to the payroll who may only play when DCL is injured, unavailable or needs a rest.

We aren't in the healthy financial situation that grants the freedom to pay £12m+ to upgrade the subs bench. That money should have been used to put towards a striker who would genuinely compete with DCL for the starting spot: Dembele, Watkins, Terrier, someone like that.

He hasn't been bought to replace DCL, I agree. He's clearly not good enough.

My point is that we SHOULD have bought someone who at least has the potential to replace DCL, because DCL may well be off in ten months.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back