Everton Summer Transfer Thread - 2022

Status
Not open for further replies.
….ha, ha, I read you struggling to see how they’d all fit into a system & I’m similar.

The club appears to be raising Gordon’s profile, lots on their social media platforms of him being given no10. Does that mean Lampard seeing his future as a conventional no10, I know some coaches always felt that would ultimately be his position. Probably not, but who knows.

Given financial restraints, maybe it’s MGW or Gallagher. Indication from that link is Gallagher might not be available until late in the window or not at all. Regardless, they are all attack minded who could be most effective in more central positions. We might be reliant on width provided by wing-backs.

Would imagine IF Gallagher becomes available, it'll only be a loan

….ha, ha, I read you struggling to see how they’d all fit into a system & I’m similar.

The club appears to be raising Gordon’s profile, lots on their social media platforms of him being given no10. Does that mean Lampard seeing his future as a conventional no10, I know some coaches always felt that would ultimately be his position. Probably not, but who knows.

Given financial restraints, maybe it’s MGW or Gallagher. Indication from that link is Gallagher might not be available until late in the window or not at all. Regardless, they are all attack minded who could be most effective in more central positions. We might be reliant on width provided by wing-backs
When Lampard was at Chelsea, he often used Mason Mount as one of the wide front three in a 433 - I'd bet he sees MGW as being able to do the same thing (he did play on the right a fair bit for Wolves last season)

That still leaves room for a Gallagher type as a number 8, a spot for Dele, Iwobi or Doucoure and a gap behind them for a number 6

Given financial restraints, maybe it’s MGW or Gallagher. Indication from that link is Gallagher might not be available until late in the window or not at all. Regardless, they are all attack minded who could be most effective in more central positions. We might be reliant on width provided by wing-backs.
It's a bloody hard one, as we obviously do want MGW, and can't see a world where if Gallacher comes available Lampard isn't gonna be all over that.

Wondering if we do play say a 4-3-3, 4-1-2-3 4,5,1 4-4-1-1 (for example yes I have no idea what we'll play ?) we'd have Gordon on the right still? Dele left (if Patterson and Mykolenko are the fbs kinda makes sense that way around) with MGW and Gallacher with a more holding player behind?

Would be incredibly attacking though and relying on a high press that type of setup.

When Lampard was at Chelsea, he often used Mason Mount as one of the wide front three in a 433 - I'd bet he sees MGW as being able to do the same thing (he did play on the right a fair bit for Wolves last season)

That still leaves room for a Gallagher type as a number 8, a spot for Dele, Iwobi or Doucoure and a gap behind them for a number 6
Using that idea would presumably be MGW right, Gordon left DCL centre.

With Gallacher and a less attacking player alongside him (Allan only one we have like that now) with Deli kinda given more or less a free role ahead of them to influence play?

Yeah, I absolutely can't see them selling Gallagher. I suspect our own financial issues will mean that we end up with a couple of loans. He'd be one (if possible), but I could still see Harry Winks being the other
Think Gallacher will be the save one loan spot in case he becomes available right till the wire - unless he obviously in pre season is being a central part of their plans

It's a bloody hard one, as we obviously do want MGW, and can't see a world where if Gallacher comes available Lampard isn't gonna be all over that.

Wondering if we do play say a 4-3-3, 4-1-2-3 4,5,1 4-4-1-1 (for example yes I have no idea what we'll play ?) we'd have Gordon on the right still? Dele left (if Patterson and Mykolenko are the fbs kinda makes sense that way around) with MGW and Gallacher with a more holding player behind?

Would be incredibly attacking though and relying on a high press that type of setup.

I think the high press thing is exactly what the idea probably is

If you look at a lot of the players we've been linked with in forward areas - Dennis, Broja, MGW, Gallagher etc - they all have good pressing numbers. Plus Gordon, DCL, Gray, Iwobi, Doucoure etc are all capable of playing this way. It also allows for a more playmaker type as the number 6 rather than a traditional ball winner (which would explain the links to Winks, Gilmour etc)

Using that idea would presumably be MGW right, Gordon left DCL centre.

With Gallacher and a less attacking player alongside him (Allan only one we have like that now) with Deli kinda given more or less a free role ahead of them to influence play?

Maybe, yeah. A Winks or Gilmour type.

I'm not saying this is what I'd be going with personally as I'm far from convinced we are good enough to play this way, but I can see the thought process which might get to this point

If you look at a lot of the players we've been linked with in forward areas - Dennis, Broja, MGW, Gallagher etc - they all have good pressing numbers. Plus Gordon, DCL, Gray, Iwobi, Doucoure etc are all capable of playing this way. It also allows for a more playmaker type as the number 6 rather than a traditional ball winner (which would explain the links to Winks, Gilmour etc)

Yeah makes sense, even the early link to Zinchenko fits that model too.

Also fits in with what Lampard said about recruitment of the right attitude, mentality, hard worker etc. Which given his career as a player and how he seems to be as a manager is no surprise really.

Also think he'll be fully aware how important that group who basically ran the Chelsea dressing room was fir Mourinho version 1 and will want to recreate that core group of English players who do a lot of the motivation/problem solving internally

I'm not saying this is what I'd be going with personally as I'm far from convinced we are good enough to play this way, but I can see the thought process which might get to this point

If you add in those players though then vs a lot of teams can see us especially at home being good enough - v the very top teams we'd I guess switch it up a bit
The way DCL can play when fit as that focal point up front though, can see that team being a nightmare to play against for a lot of the sides in the league.

Could also then see v the 'big' sides, switching to a back 3 and using Mina in almost the same way spurs did King his last 3-4 seasons - pick 10-14 games a season that you want him to play in when we'll be on the back foot more

After watching the women's football last night, we should put in an offer for Beth Mead. Sensational.

I do seriously wonder though if we're reaching the point where we drop the gender divide in football. Why not have someone like Beth playing alongside other quality players, whatever their sex?

I'll leave a little space here for someone to make a joke about DCL's dress sense.

Gibbs White, Gallacher, Dele, Gordon

We seem to be trying to add some goals to the midfield at least

Gibbs whites interesting as is Gallacher - both number 8s in essence but both young enough to perhaps mould into a different role going forwards.

A team containing those 4 and DCL up top - only issue is what bloody formation would they fit into...

What I do like though is targeting players who've gone out on loan at a good standard and become at 21/22 the key player for that loan team - shows they have a decent character and desire about them on top of the talent. Both MGW and Gallacher won the player of the seasons award and players player ones too (which shows their character a bit in the squad).

Same way mount did the same at derby, Lukaku at both us and west Brom on loan, de bruyne at Hamburg etc a few other Chelsea players have done that too who went on to really develop well.

It's a good strategy to employ imo, it shows the players got a but of a hunger about them to go and make himself invaluable to a team he's only a temporary addition too.

Being 'conservative' here but youve got four names:

Dele
MGW
Gordon
Gallagher

If they were all rotating in 2 positions then thats a good thing for competition.

You make some very good points regarding top performers on loan about MGW and Gallagher -- although so far all we know is that were only keen on one.

As for formation:

Pickford
Patterson Mina Tarkowski Mykolenko
Gallagher ??? Dele
MGW DCL Gordon

If we add in a DM like Garner from United (Going with the young English theme) then that looks like 5 players pressing in front of a midfield anchor.

For the addition of Tarkowski (Free) + MGW (£25mil?) and Gallagher (Loan with opttion?) its a low cost improvement in 3 positions...

This makes sense and i noticed it too when Broja was mentioned. In fact, we'd almost 'need' to sign Broja as the whole pressing system falls apart if DCL is out.

The other idea may be to use MGW (or perhaps Dele?) as a false 9 which keeps players in the side who press from the front.

Makes no sense if Rondon plays and of course Gray probably isnt suited either.

If we see Lampard as going 433 or 4141 or something similar with a high press and a sitting player acting as an 'anchor' then the links and signings start to make sense.

In theory for this to work well we'd need MGW + CF + CM + DM with perhaps 2 loans used and u21s as backup.

It's starting to get a bit depressing this now. Why do we always leave everything till the last minute with our signings. You would've thought that there would be a plan in place knowing who to bring in as soon as Richie went!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.