Everton Supporting Campaign to Kick Homophobia out of Football

• Thread starter Thread starter Deleted member 28206
  • Start date Start date
Status
Not open for further replies.
"it's Adam and Eve not Adam and Steve" classic bit of Alan there.

Not even arsed myself but there would be a small section of a footy crowd who would use it as a weapon if a player came out. It's the same with racism really - peoples attitudes have changed for the better but there's still a few knuckle dragging bigots knocking about.

I honest to god do not think it would be an issue these days. In fact, and please dont take this the wrong way, I think if a player came out as openly gay, there would be 5 minutes of interest, then utter disinterest. I just cannot imagine crowds making the sort of chants and stuff that black players copped years back, as being gay is just not of interest to anyone these days.

If anything, being the first to break cover could mean that player being seen as the coolest player around.

It was an open secret in rugby circles that Alfie Thomas was gay. Massive shrug of collective shoulders all round.

Perhaps, though some of the antics of some fans in this country - chants about Munich, the Hillsborough disaster, the snide gas chamber references when some clubs play Spurs, chants about players families etc - would suggest that the first high profile gay footballer wont just be accepted after five minutes, especially if its just him who comes out.

Then you have the players and managers, most of whom - witness how much Baines stands out from the rest of the England team for instance - havent exactly demonstrated a solid grasp of decency down the years.

But why is it that gay people need people to know they are gay. I personally dont understand why its such a big deal on both sides?
It's not so much a matter of checking off a yes/no on the gay check-box; it's more about being able to be open with your relationships. While you may not go around announcing you are hetero I'm sure you do a lot of things every day which "announce" your preference that you never think of (saying "my girlfriend" or "my wife!" ... going out in public holding hands with a woman etc.) that you would have to modify if you didn't want anyone to know you were hetero for some reason.

At this point it's probably the hassle of being one of the first athletes in a team sport and the resulting attention you'd get putting people off more than anything. I think it would be more attention than most people think ... I agree I think lots of *people* wouldn't care but sadly the media isn't run by people, it's run by evil machines who will turn anything, let alone something as "juicy" as an out PL player, into a huge story. Especially the first time one moron in a crowd of 40k screams some slur.

Perhaps, though some of the antics of some fans in this country - chants about Munich, the Hillsborough disaster, the snide gas chamber references when some clubs play Spurs, chants about players families etc - would suggest that the first high profile gay footballer wont just be accepted after five minutes, especially if its just him who comes out.

Then you have the players and managers, most of whom - witness how much Baines stands out from the rest of the England team for instance - havent exactly demonstrated a solid grasp of decency down the years.

You might be right, but in these days what exactly would someone shout at a player about their sexuality that is more offensive than "you fat/ginger/snidey etc w*****"? It would make who ever shouted it an utter bell IMO.

Time will tell I guess

Last edited:

I don't think there'd be a problem in terms of their acceptance by the vast majority of fans, the media etc etc.

But I think this campaign looking to provide an environment where footballers can feel comfortable admitting to their sexuality is a tad naïve. As, as much as the vast majority would be totally meh about it, it still wouldn't stop them becoming the victim of 'banter' from the terraces, as I think football sits apart from other sports in that regard, as there's still many chants that are very close to the knuckle & I'm certain an openly gay high profile player would be seen as an easy target.

The majority of football fans use homophobic shouts while playing or watching football. It happens so often and comes so easily most probably don't even give it a thought or realise.

Get stuck in you f*cking ........... etc, etc.

For a heterosexual man to question anothers sexuality is still an easy way to get under their skin. No one will really be arsed, but it will be difficult to eradicate as most won't feel as strongly as they do about racism etc.

I think everyone should just leave them alone and stop hounding them. If they don't wanna come out leave them to it ffs.

Classic reverseal of blame there from E**NIK. Who's hounding them? We're hounding the hounders.

Let's apply your own logic to your little hobby horse, Nikolas. "I think everyone should just allow Muslims to get on with their lives and leave them alone. If they don't want to play darts with Nik, so what?"

If they did, they'd probs get ripped for a couple of weeks and then everyone would forget about it coz let's face it MOST people don't hate people for being gay anymore.

Let's face it, gay men are still easy targets, and they know it. It's not so much about hate as casual humiliation or degradation. It's more complex that just being about "hate." Let's have it right, here.

It's not about hounding gay footballers to come out - it's about making a comfortable and accepting environment within their workplace where they can be openly gay. Gay people do not want to go around saying they are gay constantly but they would want the ability to go out with their partner without constantly being harassed as the gay football couple.

A lot of the campaign isn't just focussed on gay footballers becoming accepted, anyway, it is quite clear that using one of the most prominent leagues in the world in the most prominent sport as a way of promoting acceptance in society is quite useful.
Homophobia is still a fairly major issue in football and in society and we have a long way to go.

Great to see. Think homophobia is as bad as racism (although certain groups would never let you believe it).

Just hope they don't go overboard with it like that laughable liverpool thing where 'that's gay' and 'get up you girl' was 'criminalised'.

Fags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back