Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

Everton Transfer Thread 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have a strong squad, with strength in depth for a good bench, and we have strengthened further. I'm not sure who you would have liked to have offloaded to strengthen further, because we aren't a club with unlimited finances. If the manager uses the players we already have to best advantage we can match any team on the day. Until we get a buyer we're only likely to be able to improve the squad incrementally, and that's what we've done. Losing the key players that Leedslee mentions (Stones, Lukaku and Barkley) would have been a far bigger blow than not having brought in any new players imo, because that would have left us with a WEAKER squad. Whether we keep them in the summer window is of course another matter, but for the time being we have strengthened, it's a step forward, so why not celebrate the fact rather than chasing some elusive perfection?

Good response, my opinion in summary was just that people shouldn't just want to keep players and I stick by it, as you said, for now, we've strengthened.

Interesting debate this one

Essentially, Martinez has introduced a style of play that is completely alien to your typical Evertonian.

As long as I can remember, Everton have been a very typical British team. One or two big lads up front, players throwing themselves into tackles, fast-paced and direct. The quality of the football on display has varied wildly at times, but essentially our style of play hasn't changed for 30 years or more (I'm too young to remember the Catterick sides etc).

The football we play under Martinez is like nothing we've ever played before in my living memory. Everything is about possession of the ball - build from the back wherever possible, if there is no forward pass available, play it sideways or backwards but retain possession of the ball until there is an opening. Very rarely will we play a "percentage" ball into an area for a player to win a flick-on etc unless we have targeted a specific weakness in the opposition (last night against Newcastle, Lukaku targeted Mbemba in the air in the first half - obvious tactical plan), rare though.

It's a cultural revolution for your typical Everton fan though - the patient style of play means there's far less blood and thunder and 50/50 balls to win - Goodison has thrived in the past when players have won meaty challenges on won an aerial duel or legged it all over the place trying to close the ball down. It gets fans up and noisy.

Like it or not, that sort of thing isn't going to happen under Martinez. He wants the players to have most of the ball and control a game and your typical 50-odd year old season ticket holder, brought up on a diet of Latchford, Gray, Reid, Ferguson, etc just can't get excited about it.

Personally, I enjoy the football we play under Martinez more than I've ever enjoyed watching Everton before. At times I think it's just wonderful to watch, but I'll talk to my dad who's also a season ticket holder and he's bored to tears by it all. Fellas behind me at the game want Ryan Shawcross types in defence and two strikers up front winning flick-ons etc, it's what they've been brought up on and they can't get excited about 65% possession of the ball and the most goals in the league from open play - they want "passion" and "fight".

I'll sit there shaking my head and think how they're living in the past, but to be completely fair I think that's the case with the majority of the crowd, so maybe it's me who is wrong. There's noticeably less atmosphere at Goodison under Martinez because the style of football isn't conducive to getting the crowd going in the way they've been used to since they've been going the game.

As much as anything, I think people hold this against him

EDIT - probably belongs in the Martinez thread, in all honesty

I'm 34... But you have pretty much summed up how I feel... I feel as though we are playing a training game constantly. I used to love derby games and the 100mph pace they were played at.. I used to hate when we lost obviously.. But could handle defeats if we were putting effort in and flying in with tackles...now when we loose I can't take it as it looks as though we haven't even tried

I'm 34... But you have pretty much summed up how I feel... I feel as though we are playing a training game constantly. I used to love derby games and the 100mph pace they were played at.. I used to hate when we lost obviously.. But could handle defeats if we were putting effort in and flying in with tackles...now when we loose I can't take it as it looks as though we haven't even tried

we haven't lost a derby in two years though? That 4-0 was horrid, but we definitely did try...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back