Match Thread Everton v Aston Villa - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

MOTM vs Aston Villa

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Form between Matchday 8 and Matchday 23 has us bottom....

In this time:-

Watford have got 2 more points
Burnley have 3 more points
Brentford have 6 more points
Newcastle have 7 more points
Brighton have 9 more points
NORWICH HAVE ACCUMULATED 10 MORE POINTS, and everyone considered them dead and buried, if both clubs continue in this form they will finish above us, as will Watford, Burnley and Newcastle. We would finish bottom!!!

Massive massive trouble!!! All the signs are there.......

View attachment 153025
I haven't got the words to express how utterly depressing that is, as far as football goes, that is!

Dire.

I can sort of understand it today. It was a big game because of our situation, in all respects. mykolenko needed taking out of the firing line after the cup game. Patterson, is more questionable.
They'll get their chances. And prove their worth.
Hope you’re right!!

Yes when the game started the crowd we’re up for it cheering every pass and tackle, but then it dawned on us although the effort was there , no plan was attached to it and the crowd became mostly muted with that realisation and also that Pickford was the main supplier of the passes to the forwards with his long punts down the field.

wWe improved slightly when Gordon and Allan came on but the two or three chances we created were wasted because DCL and Charlie never had the composure to put them away and as the time ticked away we looked less and less like getting anything from this game.

Hard to see were we are getting the points necessary to keep us up.
Ouch. This is spot on but it's brutal to see it in black and white.
We are simply not good enough and are kidding ourselves if we think we have the players to get us out of this.
I think our only hope is the Goodison crowd who can raise our game if we stumble on the right blend.
I don't know why he picked Kenny or Holgate - neither add anything to a team wanting to play on the front foot.
Gomes is too slow - but it's clear we were overrun in the middle. Villa shut us down in every dept.
I normally have some old bollix to say what we need to do after we've played poorly - but I'm nonestly speechless and have een for a while. I have no idea how to fix this with the players we have. I can't even bring myself to open the 'R' thread.
My only hope is that we start scoring soon - as we are always going to let a few in with this team.

i think what was really dissapointing about today was that villa didn't even have to be that good to beat us fairly comfortably

yes we had 15 shots but they limited us to just 1 on target, you could blame poor finishing for maybe not getting more on target but defensively we looked as bad as ever. If you allow tyrone mings to play a hail mary from the half way line and just lob one over our defence to give watkins a one on one chance you may as well start preparing for bristol city and millwall next season.

that first half is up there with one of our worst first half performances this season, we didn't create anything at all

we also still can't defend corners and just seem allow near post flick ons in every game

the only players who tried to do something were gordon and gray but no one is supporting them

also gomes can't play in a midfield two, the amount of shirt grabbing he was doing in that first half was embarrassing

we can't keep conceding the first goal every match, i can't remember the last time we actually scored the first goal

technically the players ability are so poor, we can't pass out of a press or play out of tight situations we revert to knocking it back to pickford and him launching it onto tyrone mings noggin everytime

Disappointed to see us make the ITV News at Ten for all the wrong reasons. Matty Cash and Lucas Digne probably exaggerated the extent of their injuries but it doesn’t look good when missiles are being hurled onto the field of play and players are on the floor in pain from a head injury. It just makes us look bad, both as a club and a city.

And it gives the reds all the ammunition they need to defame us thuggish and scummy.

If you see someone do something like this please report them to the nearest steward or police officer. They are doing untold damage to our reputation.

For my money we would have been better with James Rodriguez and Lucas Digne than Patterson and Mykolenko in the squad.
It would've been a better season just with James in the squad, and I'm not interested in hearing those who say he didn't want to be here.

He was on good money, not playing in Qatar and would almost certainly still be here if not for Benitez' stubborn stupidity.

i think what was really dissapointing about today was that villa didn't even have to be that good to beat us fairly comfortably

yes we had 15 shots but they limited us to just 1 on target,
you could blame poor finishing for maybe not getting more on target but defensively we looked as bad as ever. If you allow tyrone mings to play a hail mary from the half way line and just lob one over our defence to give watkins a one on one chance you may as well start preparing for bristol city and millwall next season.

that first half is up there with one of our worst first half performances this season, we didn't create anything at all

we also still can't defend corners and just seem allow near post flick ons in every game

the only players who tried to do something were gordon and gray but no one is supporting them

also gomes can't play in a midfield two, the amount of shirt grabbing he was doing in that first half was embarrassing

we can't keep conceding the first goal every match, i can't remember the last time we actually scored the first goal

technically the players ability are so poor, we can't pass out of a press or play out of tight situations we revert to knocking it back to pickford and him launching it onto tyrone mings noggin everytime

The 2 parts in bold are quite frankly bizarre.

Villa didnt "limit us". It was our own players that missed 5 or 6 good chances and were guilty of cocking up 2 through balls for DCL.

It was our poor finishing that cost us

yes we had 15 shots but they limited us to just 1 on target, you could blame poor finishing for maybe not getting more on target but defensively we looked as bad as ever. If you allow tyrone mings to play a hail mary from the half way line and just lob one over our defence to give watkins a one on one chance you may as well start preparing for bristol city and millwall next season.

Every time the ball was with Holgate you knew it was going back to Pickford...

The 2 parts in bold are quite frankly bizarre.

Villa didnt "limit us". It was our own players that missed 5 or 6 good chances and were guilty of cocking up 2 through balls for DCL.

It was our poor finishing that cost us
Absolutely correct...sometimes I find it strange how people on here describe a match situation to suit their own agenda.

Have to say Dunc could have done better with his selection (watching FSW too much). For me a chance should have been taken with Myko and Patterson (how could he think Kenny was any good? They would have been quicker and more upto getting their tackles etc in. CBs should have been Godfrey and Mina. Gordon should have been on from start not Townsend that may have helped MF but that was weak. Upfront okay with the 3 but DCL should have been replaced by Dobbin at 60 mins.

Cannot understand how Dunc selected that team and thought those individuals mentioned were better?????

Sorry but shows poor judgement, cannot be full time.
Agreed. We were all hoping for a bit of a gung-ho approach. Which with a very defensive back 4, wasn't the case. I guess he planned to have a solid base with which to let the ball players, play. It would have made more sense even to have matched them up as a 4-2-3-1. With Richie as a 10, dropping in when needed and Gordon and Gray wide.
Think the pressure was too much today. Now, the first one's out the way, hopefully we'll see a more measured approach. That, said, a draw would've been a fair result.

If only the pass from Doucoure to Richy was a better one on the break. That really was a golden opportunity and shows how low on confidence we are. That was a game changer.

Status
Not open for further replies.