Everton v Crystal Palace. 30 Sep at 2000.

How long did your Christmas selection boxes last?

• Boxing Day

Votes: 73 41.5%
  • New Year

Votes: 58 33.0%
  • Back to school

Votes: 13 7.4%
  • March

Votes: 32 18.2%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Why oh why do our players not feel that they need to work hard?

We've been out worked 3 straight matches. It's not good enough.
Spot on,the initial effect of Koeman and the "pressing" game barring Barry and Gueye appears to have fallen on deaf ears again within our squad,hopefully RK has enough about him to sort this out in the short term and in January.

Though I'm sure many won't want to admit it, we're not challenging for top 6 with that squad just yet, we're the same as Palace, filling out the remaining top half places. Our teams really aren't very different, the reality is we bought into the hyperbole Martinez bestowed on the players, and the 'best squad of prem era' nonsense.

We've got a long way to go, and as such Koeman needs the whole of this year to rectify the mess he inherited. He also didn't get the luxury Klopp had last year. As long as we finish top half and he clearly knows what needs to happen in the summer then I'm happy, slow progress is likely and a sense of perspective is needed here. You don't unlearn bad habits, pick up all the new good ones, and turn into world beaters overnight.

Palace fully deserved the point if not all 3, given that I saw nothing wrong with their second. Try and grab a point vs City, then try beat Burnley. Onwards.
Indeed - good points mate ...we need to fully "De- Martinez "the squad, and as you say it will take time. Having said that, Gueye buries that chance and we are 2-0 up - different game. Draw the right result on balance of play, and Palace will upset a few sides this season if they keep up their 2nd half display. Could have been 1-2 in the end though..what was their goal disallowed for? Not seen it again on tele and my seat is in the U Bullens towards the street end - Offside? or foul?

We lack a final ball in the last third, we played the much better football all game, Palace scored by putting the big man against the little fullback and lumping it to him.

We've lacked a proper creative centre midfielder for a long time, Barkley can do it in spurts, buts he's not consistent enough at present.

Bolaise by far has improved our chances of scoring, he's putting quality ball in from the wings so far this season, should have a few more assists.

T
Indeed - good points mate ...we need to fully "De- Martinez "the squad, and as you say it will take time. Having said that, Gueye buries that chance and we are 2-0 up - different game. Draw the right result on balance of play, and Palace will upset a few sides this season if they keep up their 2nd half display. Could have been 1-2 in the end though..what was their goal disallowed for? Not seen it again on tele and my seat is in the U Bullens towards the street end - Offside? or foul?

That was indeed a very good chance for Gueye. Should have been a goal, really. I feel that is a big problem with the squad. We don't have enough scoring players. I'm already afraid something might happen to Rom since we obviously have no suitable backup for him, but also because he's the only real scoring player we have. Attacking midfielders should really score up to 10 goals a season. We don't really have those. Ross might and Mirallas as well, but that's about it. Bolasie and Del score way too less for their positions and the rest of the team probably doesn't really know what a goal is.

I only saw the replays once but I think it was for a really contentious 'interfering with play' from one of their other players but if that's it then it was incredibly harsh - we'd of been fuming with it anyway!

First half we were brilliant bar not creating enough against a dogged defence. Ross was playing the ball to feet early, excellent hold up play by rom, whole team pressing and Oviedo was brilliant.

Benteke's header was world class. Gana should have scored and moss is a bell. I'm on 58 minutes. Bolasie having a field day

And you know what, we're third. The lowest we can be by the close of the weekend is sixth. It's been a great start even with a little stutter in the last week.

I trust us to re-find our form quickly enough.

Pint of what this guys on please; Technically accurate...as far as it goes...up to a point - (and you've missed out the fact that with 14Pts and only 7 Played we only need 26 Pts more...less than a point a game, for the elusive 40Pts.)

Different from the last 2 games and Bournemouth in particular nobody was actually bad, they all just hit the low portion of bang average...whoever said we only had 13/14 'real' players might be spot on.
These early League positions might be our high water mark for this season...yeah we've all turned into Blue and White Veruca Salts...'I want it now'.

We may have to settle for a 3rd 11th place on the run and comfort ourselves that, hopefully, the slide is/has/will be arrested and we can start the upwards movement...Sort of the football equivalent of those super tankers that take half a day and half the Irish sea to slow down and turn into the Mersey. Juggernaut is the word that comes to mind

That us that is; The once and future Royal Blue Juggernaut.

Palace are a good at what they do ! a player will go down easy ! or they take ages to take a freekick / throwing ! all disruptive techniques ! they lump it up to the big lad ! doesnt make for a great game but they're good at it and will take points of other sides ! we did ok in the first half ! nothing to shout home about tho i didnt think ! 2nd half we looked better when we went to a back 3 ! but didnt really trouble them much !

One of their players was in what is now called a - 'technically offside' position, but, as is the norm now, deemed to be 'not interfering with play'...until as the ball was going over his head...well over... he flicked his head at it...maybe by instinct, who knows or cares.
The 'Lino' then, technically correct flagged it
#we get out of jail.

Can't be bothered going through the match thread, but have people called out Alan Smith on being a beaut?

The high feet occurs before the hand ball, so the free kick is given correctly for our goal. Otherwise, when Oviedo is brought down in the box, the penalty is given despite the offside happening first - same principle.

Disappointed with a draw after losing to Norwich and Bournemouth. Failed to capitalise on the few chances we created. We seem to be really good at wasting promising positions too which is frustrating.

Hope we pull something out the hat against City.

Spot on,the initial effect of Koeman and the "pressing" game barring Barry and Gueye appears to have fallen on deaf ears again within our squad,hopefully RK has enough about him to sort this out in the short term and in January.
Because we can't press with both Rom and Barkley in the team. Pressing requires the whole team otherwise it's a liability.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back