Match Thread Everton v Crystal Palace - Preview, Match Report & MotM Poll

Your Everton MOTM vs Crystal Palace

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Everton ~ Leeds
Everton have a one point advantage Because Leeds' goal difference is vastly inferior (by 18 goals) Everton need 2 points from 2 games (or, if Leeds to fail to win at Brentford on Sunday, no points will be required)

Everton ~ Burnley
Everton have a 2 point advantage - there is a scenario whereby Everton can draw tonight (or Sunday) and still finish above Burnley if they get 3 points.
If Everton lose say 0-1 and draw 0-0 (for example) and finish on 37 GD - 21. Burnley, presently on 34 -18 could lose by 4 and win by 1 in their two games. (e.g. Villa 4-0 loss and Newcastle 1-0 win). Precisely only a 1 goal win/defeat for Burnley/Everton if we assume a 4 goal defeat at Villa (as 5 or more is slightly unrealistic). Burnley need at least 2 points from the 3 games (and, should they lose tonight, definitely a win on Sunday)

Summary

Everton 0 pts from 2 games: Need Leeds to fail to win Sunday or Burnley to get 0-1 point from 2 games - 2 pts would be enough to save Burnley on GD

Everton 1 pt from 2 games: Need Leeds to fail to win Sunday or Burnley to get only 1 or 2 point from 2 games - or 3 pts if the net goal difference is less than +2 in Everton's favour over the 4 games involving these 2 clubs

Everton 2 pts or more Everton will be safe.

Last edited:
Everton ~ Leeds
Everton have a one point advantage Because Leeds' goal difference is vastly inferior (by 18 goals) Everton need 2 points from 2 games (or, if Leeds to fail to win at Brentford on Sunday, no points will be required)

Everton ~ Burnley
Everton have a 2 point advantage - there is a scenario whereby Everton can draw tonight (or Sunday) and still finish above Burnley if they get 3 points.
If Everton lose say 0-1 and draw 0-0 (for example) and finish on 37 GD - 21. Burnley, presently on 34 -18 could lose by 4 and win by 1 in their two games. (e.g. Villa 4-0 loss and Newcastle 1-0 win). Precisely only a 1 goal win/defeat for Burnley/Everton if we assume a 4 goal defeat at Villa (as 5 or more is slightly unrealistic). Burnley need at least 2 points from the 3 games (and, should they lose tonight, definitely a win on Sunday)

Summary

Everton 0 pts from 2 games: Need Leeds to fail to win Sunday or Burnley to get 0-1 point from 2 games - 2 pts would be enough to save Burnley on GD

Everton 1 pt from 2 games: Need Leeds to fail to win Sunday or Burnley to get only 1 or 2 point from 2 games - or 3 pts if the net goal difference is +2 in Everton's favour over the 4 games involving these 2 clubs

It’s the getting point at the Emirate’s and Leeds turning over Brentford that frightens me.

Has anyone mentioned that this could be a "must win" game yet?

I'm thinking it will be a nail-biting (not that I've got any nails left to bite) 1-0 to the Blues, but I'm hoping for a comfortable 3-0 with Palace happy with their position in the table and looking forward to next season. ?

The permutations seem to suggest that a draw is no better than a win. Or at least a defeat still keeps us in with a shout, while a win secured us.

With that it mind I hope we tear at them from the off.

What’s his name so I can lump on first goal scorer?
This comment is way too real. I recall that Sheffield united game last season where 17 year old Daniel Jebbison scored and made history as the youngest starting player to bag a goal in the premier league. Now on loan in league 1 and of course in classic Everton fashion was his only goal for Sheffield lol

Everton ~ Leeds

Everton ~ Burnley

Summary

Everton 1 pt from 2 games: Need Leeds to fail to win Sunday or Burnley to get only 1 or 2 point from 2 games - or 3 pts if the net goal difference is less than +2 in Everton's favour over the 4 games involving these 2 clubs

Of course by the same token Burnley might win 1-0 tonight and lose 4-0 on Sunday!!

Not sure how you will do that, i cant do that on any game, never mind a game that would make us safe if we won it
Only times in 50 years I have been detached from the Everton game to the point of no news:

1. Early 1970s - week in isolation with Russian Flu (too stupid to ask an adult) - drew 1-1 with Sheffield United
2. 1976 (after a 1-4 reverse to Coventry in 1st game of season) - 3 weeks in India with absolutely no press news (restricted back in the day). Too young to think of perhaps finding a way - eventually found a copy of the FT with some results and a league table and delighted to learn we were (I think) 4th
3. Coventry 1998 Gareth Farrelly - on a flight from Venice - 3 hours of sheer agony. Called home to learn it was 1-0.. then nothing.. NEVER AGAIN

Occasionally I might be doing something but these days there are constant updates on your phone so no need to call the Everton club secretary 5 times for a midweek game (1970s) "It's still 0-0"...

Status
Not open for further replies.