Match Thread Everton v Man United - Preview, Match Report and MotM Poll

Everton Man of the Match

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't give the ball away casually in dangerous areas to a team built to counter attack.

100%

But also we're not man city, we're not deep into the final third when we give it away, so some thought has to be given to how Man United like to score their goals. These are goals we gave away last year as well. Mistakes happen so you have to do things like send Antony wide right, or have Gana a little deeper or 3 at the back or whatever. I was fine with the players picked before the game, because they were in form, but on reflection and seeing how the game played out, I don't think we got it right.

We made 2 basic errors, which lead to our goals conceded. Dalot seemingly making countless errors but we could not capitalise on it.

Overall, it wasn't a good performance. But is it really that bad? Nope. I see some positive signs. I feel like this match was just an off day. A lot of things the players were trying to do didn't pan out. A lot of our play relies on our No. 6. but Gana didn't seem to recover from his mistake in 1st half. 2nd half was better but I see him seemingly looking daze on the pitch.

I do feel like our final ball should improve and having a Plan B with existing players on the pitch would help.

It's a good reminder to the team & coaches that a lot more work needs to be done. Some of the players scouted make more sense now.

We made 2 basic errors, which lead to our goals conceded. Dalot seemingly making countless errors but we could not capitalise on it.

Overall, it wasn't a good performance. But is it really that bad? Nope. I see some positive signs. I feel like this match was just an off day. A lot of things the players were trying to do didn't pan out. A lot of our play relies on our No. 6. but Gana didn't seem to recover from his mistake in 1st half. 2nd half was better but I see him seemingly looking daze on the pitch.

I do feel like our final ball should improve and having a Plan B with existing players on the pitch would help.

It's a good reminder to the team & coaches that a lot more work needs to be done. Some of the players scouted make more sense now.

Yes, it really was “that bad”.

It was dire…reminiscent of some of the worst displays last sesson.

We could have been 4-1 diwn at half time and it wouldn’t have flattered them.

Talking points:

1. We played too expansive and players don't show for the ball 80% of the time, leaving player with the ball with little options and often pressured and caused costly turnovers.

2. We glaringly lacked fitness and stamina (clearly reflected by Gordon) to keep up with higher tempo games. We can't press long enough before we ran out of gas. Just look at current form of Arsenal players in contrast. Age maybe a factor but not an excuse for not putting in more training efforts.

3. Defensively we must set up and anticipate those lethal fwd runs around the box often executed by teams like MC, MU, Chelsea which caused havoc as crosses ensued. We have not been so chaotic at the back since start of the season.

4. Everyone just need to wake up from feeling too confident and back to working hard. Period.

Yes, it really was “that bad”.

It was dire…reminiscent of some of the worst displays last sesson.

We could have been 4-1 diwn at half time and it wouldn’t have flattered them.

hmmm thinking back - especially the 1st half. The way the performance dropped after conceding the first goal, was definitely some last season flashback. And it was the new signings who started to doze off after!

Maybe the positive sign I was thinking was the first 10 minutes and then the final 10-20 minutes. Something I appreciate is we were still fighting until the last second - just without much quality. Definitely not enough and definitely a lot of work to do.

United played on Thursday away from home.

How did we not have the energy to deal with them?

Appalling if so.

The real issue was that we have players in dangerous situations trying to play football when they are technically incapable of doing so.

I do hope that isn't Lampard telling them they can play. Ludicrous if so. We played ok so far this season precisely because we had players not arseing about in the danger zones.
The energy lark,It happens Dave unfortunately from time to time,we were off it last night,along with villa away far and away our worst performance in my humble opinion,the first was on Gueye,loathe to blame Iwobi as he was ten/fifteen yards in their half trying to create for us,was a similar situation to at West Ham last season,we should be organised enough to not concede from there.

Typical Everton..just when with a win we could of moved up to 7th we throw in a shambolic performance like that and with 2 very difficult away games coming up we will be looking down the table again instead of up!!

I was disappointed with the overall display, totally agree with the lack of a press. Felt a bit sorry for Maupay. Felt like He was chasing almost cause on his own upfront. Coleman defended well but was tongue tied with the ball. I thought we looked much better when we shuffled the pack,brought Garner and DCL and put Iwobi at Right back. We got much better control of the ball. This coupled with Eriksen coming off for them which swung things in our favour. DCL definitely provided more threat. I just wish we had gambled with changes 10 minutes earlier as I think we could have salvaged a point so not all bad.

Two individual errors gave MU victory. Without them, they wouldn't score till Christmas. Didn't feel we played with MU. more like Southampton or Palace. This was to take. And think players must feel the same. Heads up and keep fighting.

Absolutely zero threat in the final third as usual. I don't remember De Gea having to make a single save.

I'm sure Maupay will score another 5 or 6 goals this season, maybe even 7 or 8 if we're really lucky, but unless our midfielders start attacking with greater intensity and conviction, we will finish nearer to the relegation zone than amongst the European positions.

Luckily Southampton and Forest are utterly terrible this season, while Villa and Leicester aren't that much better, and Brentford, Fulham and Bournemouth will surely drop off sooner rather than later.

Two individual errors gave MU victory. Without them, they wouldn't score till Christmas. Didn't feel we played with MU. more like Southampton or Palace. This was to take. And think players must feel the same. Heads up and keep fighting.
Hmm, not sure about this myself. They had two marginal goals disallowed (correct decisions, mind), and looked very dangerous on the break at the end when we were pressing, as our defence isn't set up to handle pace. First half it was looking very sad indeed, they were passing around us very easily.
We didn't look like scoring until the end when we were throwing bodies into the box... I think they were better than us. No harm in admitting that. I think their defence can be got at, but their midfield was good and less lightweight than I thought it might be. Gana and Onana didn't have good games and got shown up a bit. Hopefully we can be less sloppy against Spurs

OK, so a 7pm Sunday kick-off feels like BT Sport's version of Newcastle playing in the Saudi Arabian team kit. We all know the Prem is about cash and frankly a watchable game at this new time probably did nothing to dispell this happening again. It wasn't the reason we lost.

Giving up the ball cheaply in midfield when under no pressure whatsoever. Step forward Gueye, Onana, and Iwobi (the latter otherwise had a good game as he generally has under FL). Game in our hands, lack of concentration. Handed a platform to what is an expensive Europa league team, but still not a bottom half team.

Gueye and Onana coasting straight into the first team - with let's face it hardly anything of major threat to their place in Doucs and Davies - really shows and we need to continue to cull the dross in our squad to create more competition and cover for that central birth. Having another CF would help!

But only Everton threw the momentum in those Sunday league errors. And failed to re-establish ourselved. Gordon quiet, fair enough. He's human. Myko and Coleman do not pose a threat in the final third (I love 'em both, one's learning, the other's been a legend). But that was us. No-one and nothing else to blame.

The positive is, these things are well within our power to control. Give 'em absolute hell in training this week Frank... they'll be better for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.