Everton Youth Teams Thread

Well that was a decent result from the kids ( and Godfrey) , it is so nice to se us coming back and winning it in the final minutes . Sometimes you need a bit of luck , but apart from their goal they rarely troubled our defence and Welch controlled the line well from the middle of a three . Paul Tait has done a great job improving these youngsters , thought he had his tactics wrong with a back three and playing Mills in a different position but heh ho we got there ?

Well that was a decent result from the kids ( and Godfrey) , it is so nice to se us coming back and winning it in the final minutes . Sometimes you need a bit of luck , but apart from their goal they rarely troubled our defence and Welch controlled the line well from the middle of a three . Paul Tait has done a great job improving these youngsters , thought he had his tactics wrong with a back three and playing Mills in a different position but heh ho we got there ?

Yeah set up was all wrong first half and not much in it 2nd half but fair play, they stuck at it and that'll be a great feeling winning that match with 2 late goals.

A game that was paid entry and was barely at all mentioned at that
There was quite a good turn out, looking around the Upper Bullens stand I reckon there was a good 2000 or so there with maybe a couple of hundred from Mansfield, for such a cold night that wasn’t bad at all.

As for the game apart from the exciting end I wasn’t impressed with any of Everton’s players on the night and as for any plan by Paul Tait, if he had one I couldn’t see it, playing out of defence was boring and tedious with seven or eight passes between defenders then long diagonal passes out to the wings, a lot of them going straight out of play or to the opposition, occasionally reaching the winger stretching himself right on the touch line to keep the ball in play.
I know they were playing men but I expected more endeavour from these lads, a lot of them on three year contracts, they seem very generous contracts to me, seems that might make them they have already made it when on tonight’s showing they have got an awful lot to learn. Ben Godfrey was just playing to get back to full fitness, he rarely stretched himself but some of his passes were dreadful with a lot going out of play although one, early in the game put Cannon in a good position but his shot was straight at the keeper. I was happy with the result but the performance left a lot to be desired.

Yes I was not sure on a back 3 but maybe had to play Godfrey without leaving Anderson and Welch out

Yes I was not sure on a back 3 but maybe had to play Godfrey without leaving Anderson and Welch out

The thing with that defensive line up last night. If you didn't know Godfrey was a first team player already, you'd think he was the weakest of the 5 that started at the back. Obviously coming back into fitness but I just mean generally when you watch a player receive the ball and body shape, awareness, control of a ball, organisation etc. You wouldn't think he was in front of Welch and Anderson in the pecking order. He's going to really need to work on multiple parts of his game to get back into the 1st team reckoning as he just hasn't kicked on at all after a very encouraging first season.

The thing with that defensive line up last night. If you didn't know Godfrey was a first team player already, you'd think he was the weakest of the 5 that started at the back. Obviously coming back into fitness but I just mean generally when you watch a player receive the ball and body shape, awareness, control of a ball, organisation etc. You wouldn't think he was in front of Welch and Anderson in the pecking order. He's going to really need to work on multiple parts of his game to get back into the 1st team reckoning as he just hasn't kicked on at all after a very encouraging first season.
It was a subdued performance from Godfrey I thought, whereas Welch ran the show at the back from the centre, Anderson did what he does best , pinging balls forward from the left , providing the aggression. At times Welch covered for Godfrey when he was out of position. There was no real link up on the right between Godfrey and Dixon , so Dixon was subbed at half time. He’s still working his way back to full fitness I guess , so hopefully he‘s ready for the further step up .