Everton Youth Teams Thread

Isaac Heath’s second-half strike secured victory over Wolverhampton Wanderers at USM Finch Farm to make it back-to-back Premier League North wins for Everton Under-18s.

Right-back Mathew Mallon had given Everton an 11th-minute lead after good work from striker Katia Kouyate in the box, squaring for the defender to tap home from close range.

The young Blues were helpless to prevent Wolves from restoring parity on 24 minutes, however, as forward Tyler Roberts powered home his header after a stunning cross from Ethan McLeod.

Manager Paul Tait’s side were almost back in front just two minutes later, as Kouyate rattled the upright after the ball had broken loose from an Everton free-kick.

Heath (pictured) also came within inches of restoring Everton’s lead in a first half the Blues shaded, the 16-year-old working the ball onto his left foot and firing just wide of the mark.

Equally, Wolves could conceivably have gone into the break ahead but Roberts, dangerous all afternoon, fired over the bar in first-half stoppage time.

Everton came flying out of the traps following the restart, forcing Wolves into mistakes with their pressing, and were rewarded for their positivity when Emilio Lawrence and Heath combined for the latter’s second goal of the season.

The two were a thorn in Wolves boss Steve Davis’ side throughout the game and Lawrence showcased his creativity to cross low for Heath to side foot Everton back in front.

Lawrence almost added a third for the Toffees on 62 minutes, the young Scottish international picking the pocket of Dexter Lembikisa before being denied by goalkeeper Palmi Arinbjornsson.

For the second successive game, Everton defended resolutely to protect a lead and that resilience was illustrated by a heroic block from captain Elijah Campbell to prevent Roberts from getting his second of the match in the 67th minute.

The Blues' organisation and discipline enabled them to see out the closing quarter relatively scare free.

The victory moves Everton up to seventh in the table ahead of a trip to Burnley next weekend.

Our first loss in the average age battle.

Last game: PL2 - Everton (18.6) vs Manchester United (18.3)

PL2 - Blackburn (18.7) vs Everton (18.3)
PL2 - Everton (18.0) vs Liverpool (19.1)
PL2 - Crystal Palace (19.7) vs Everton (17.8)
PL2 - Everton (17.7) vs Derby County (19.0)
PJT - Morecamble (N/A) vs Everton (17.7)
PLC - Everton (18.4) vs Sheffield United (18.8)
PL2 - Leicester (19.4) vs Everton (17.9)

Barrett 19
John 20
Welch 18
Astley 19
Branthwaite 19
Anderson 20
Hughes 20
Butterfield 17
Price 18
Mills 17
Whitaker 18

Average: 18.6

Kovar 21
Wellens 18
Mengi 19
Fernandez 18
Hardley 18
Svidersky 18
Savage 18
Shoretire 17
Iqbal 18
Hoogewerf 18
Elanga 19

Average: 18.3

Barrett 19
John 20
Welch 18
Astley 19
Branthwaite 19
Anderson 20
Hughes 20
Butterfield 17
Price 18
Mills 17
Whitaker 18

Kovar 21
Wellens 18
Mengi 19
Fernandez 18
Hardley 18
Svidersky 18
Savage 18
Shoretire 17
Iqbal 18
Hoogewerf 18
Elanga 19

Think you need to include the subs mate, pretty sure our second half age was younger with Utd‘s 35 year old on the pitch. :)

Barrett 19
John 20
Welch 18
Astley 19
Branthwaite 19
Anderson 20
Hughes 20
Butterfield 17
Price 18
Mills 17
Whitaker 18

Kovar 21
Wellens 18
Mengi 19
Fernandez 18
Hardley 18
Svidersky 18
Savage 18
Shoretire 17
Iqbal 18
Hoogewerf 18
Elanga 19

Couple of 18th birthdays recently for us too, Welch and now price

I said next time in my original post which I thought would have been understood as next game when we hopefully have some sort of striker available. However I've been misunderstood before so I guess it's how I write things. I was thinking more of Garcia in the number 10 or moving Hughes inside. Maybe had McAllister at 10. Anything but 5 at the back for me as it just seems to lose every game at every level. Particularly when the LWB is a CB by trade.
Simms should be ready soon even if it is to come on as a sub, as he comes back from a four month lay off, plus Dobbin when DCL and Richarlison resume playing again, no disrespect to Dobbin, his time will come but not as a starter yet!!

My usual moan, why are we so hopeless with the u18s, no “official” team sheet and just over 90 secs worth of action with only the goals shown , yet the match report said it was a good game with a number of chances created , so surely worth a few more minutes on the video.

There were some nice pieces of play around the goals though from Kouyate, Heath and Lawrence , and Owen Barker was involved in both goals with a couple of deft left foot passes.

Its early in the season for the u18s, but given the number of games the u21/23s currently have it would be great to see some of these younger players making an early step up tonight or Friday at u21/23 level.