Everton Youth Teams Thread

He was the best goalie for his age at the club and he’s much better than what we’ve got now.

Schalke are desperate for money and have just been relegated. If hes any good then we could bring him back next summer I guess?

A bit of an odd place to want to move to if he is a highly regarded keeper.

Everton actually have a huge opportunity to become the go to place for youngsters given (1) the age gaps in the squad (2) the lack of transfer budget for the next 2 years at least.

Brands should be full time on making that happen imho.

Indeed. But my biggest disappointment with Brands is that he hasn’t been making this happen . Everybody in our u18 and U23s squad today has been with us from at least 16 years of age, nobody has been brought into those teams from outside. (I know we have Jagne and Okoronkwo not involved today) . We’re just not competing with other clubs to become this “ go to place” .

For years we’ve known we have an issue with Right Back in the first team , but we've never brought in a young right back to move on up. In the QPR game when our ex player Duke- Mckenna scored his penalty, I thought “ Ah yes, another speedy right footer we tried at right back in our u18s” . That seems to be our only strategy , to try to convert someone who’s quick and right footed, John, Quirk , Mills all originally midfielders have been tried at RB and it seems the only natural RBs we have are Mallon and Quintyne. Yet we are no nearer solving the issue, letting players like Livramento pass us by and making half hearted offers for the two young RB s at Rangers and Aberdeen . It’s a frustration that I’m resigned to .

Hes brought in a few kids but not been proactively targeting players it seems.

Really bizarre that hes not gone and brought in Livramento or someone else for the right back spot...nor has he signed a player for the u18s or u23s to be Colemans replacement once his contract elapses.

Seems very lazy.

He did exactly what Small did. They had no choice.

Our Academy keepers are poor but I think they know that and I expect they’ll do something about it very soon.

Youre expecting alot to leave and new ones brought in?

Small was offered the pro and turned it down Where's Dan Rose asked the club for a pro inclusive with the scholarship and the club refused so the agent moved him elsewhere so completely different to small

How does that work?

Everton u18s team [TBC as different teams everywhere again]

Leban, Mallon, Tierney, Jones, Wright, Melcalfe, Barker, Apter, Heath, Sherif, Lawrence
Subs Graham, Coughlan, Djankpata, Smikle-James, Ebere
Seems from other posts that Ebere played for the U16s.
Official site lists only 'Trialist'... Ring master, did you see any other names?

Here are Highlights of West Ham u23s 3 -1 win v Everton u23s yesterday

Schalke are desperate for money and have just been relegated. If hes any good then we could bring him back next summer I guess?

A bit of an odd place to want to move to if he is a highly regarded keeper.

Youre expecting alot to leave and new ones brought in?

How does that work?
In personally don’t think Dan Rose is that good so I wouldn’t bring him back and I doubt very much that we will after what he did but he’s been brought through our academy and they certainly didn’t want him to leave when he left.

I do think new keepers may be brought in at scholar level. They’ve got to be really as ours aren’t the good enough in my opinion.

If someone gets offered a scholar but they know they’re in demand they can ask for a guaranteed pro contract when they’ve completed there scholarship. It’s just a negotiation. If you’re highly rated and the club really want you they’ll usually agree to it.

Seems from other posts that Ebere played for the U16s.
Official site lists only 'Trialist'... Ring master, did you see any other names?
They can play for both as has happened even a few weeks ago, Ebere played for the u16s then was a sub for the u18s,plus as said he scored 3 for the u16s

Cheers for posting that, interesting listen. So are these B team sides just playing friendlies with whoever they manage to arrange a fixture with?

Pretty much. They play all over Europe wherever they can get a game. Lots of teams like playing them as they're a real test compared to the often casual U23 matches.

They do a lot on their YouTube channel for the side like player interviews on their progress, matches etc.

Interesting chat based on something I've discussed here previously with our academy.

It is interesting , and thought provoking, sometimes the first reaction is “ Ah but that’s Brenford, it won’t work for us”. They are certainly innovative in their approach which appears to go right through the club. The big difference I see , may be wrong, is that their innovation is driven and backed by the owners . I don’t see anything innovative in our club.

I noticed Small played for what they internally call “ Southampton B” team last week, despite being in PL2 Division 2 U23s league. I‘m not clear how that works as they play in a league unlike Brentford. Maybe that’s a model to follow, an Academy/ u21/23 teams but with a B team playing fixtures against older opposition, just who we’d play though I don’t know.

It is interesting , and thought provoking, sometimes the first reaction is “ Ah but that’s Brenford, it won’t work for us”. They are certainly innovative in their approach which appears to go right through the club. The big difference I see , may be wrong, is that their innovation is driven and backed by the owners . I don’t see anything innovative in our club.

I noticed Small played for what they internally call “ Southampton B” team last week, despite being in PL2 Division 2 U23s league. I‘m not clear how that works as they play in a league unlike Brentford. Maybe that’s a model to follow, an Academy/ u21/23 teams but with a B team playing fixtures against older opposition, just who we’d play though I don’t know.

…I suspect it will revert back to an open-age reserve league at some stage, even one that’s regionalised. It’s the proper way to test and develop your best youngsters, playing with and against seasoned professionals.

Last edited:
guardian have gone for Jenson Metcalfe as our one to watch this year. personally think he should be more involved with u23s already
Was just about to post this. They’ve been fairly accurate with previous years I think. They have updates each year on each player. Actually a really good feature.

guardian have gone for Jenson Metcalfe as our one to watch this year. personally think he should be more involved with u23s already
Excellent choice, I think it was Welch last year. Certainly he’s been a consistent standout for the u18s and the clip of his goal against Burnley highlights his talent . While they all play slightly differently, he’s against the likes of Price, Butterfield, Warrington , and Onyango when he comes back, in the U23s , Owen Barker too from his year. You’d think he’d be promoted to the U23s at least after Christmas if not before.

Then it’s take a deep breath time. Metcalfe is no Rooney who could pull the U23s out of the relegation spot on his own, indeed his inexperience at U23s may add to the problem. For me its a question of “ Trust the Process! “. Get these youngsters involved even if we do get relegated, it’s all Unsworth’s fault anyway for playing 28 year olds.

That Guardian piece has players born in 2004-05. A lot has been made of England's 2000-2003 generation. Anyone know if the 2004s and 2005s are any good?