Everton Youth Teams Thread

Indeed , who knows , but for me it’s got to be the right policy. Yep it probably affected u18/u23 results with more u18s playing u23 than ever before , but it cascades down in terms of opportunity e.g. Joe Anderson is a capable defender at u23 level but unfortunately not good enough. Playing Campbell at u23 instead of u18 allowed schoolboy Ishe Samuels- Smith to play left back and left centre back at u18s.

And right on cue ….

This was perhaps the most telling statement from Tait. :
“I think the real positive from this season would be the progression of the Under-16s group into the Under-18s.
“I’ve never had so many Under-16s players competing in the Under-18s league for us.”
Its fantastic seeing Lawrence, Sherif, Samuel-Smith close to the top in terms of number of starts .
Thats all well and food, but if every club takes up the same mantra like Chelsea, City etc, does it not just turn it into an unofficial under 16 league?
Abit like the under 23 league, most clubs only play under 18/19 year olds. So its basically an under 19 league with knowere for anyone over 19 to go

Would be a bit disappointed to lose either of them to City to be honest. Galvez and Smith in Man City's 18s are both very good and in ISS' positions whilst City's 18 averaged 3.5 goals a game this season so obviously have a bit of class without even including Delap, Mcatee and Palmer etc. above them. Obviously the coaching and facilities are the best in the world and they'd win every week but it'd probably mean at least another year as a U18 for both. Hopefully the Chelsea ownership situation muddles with their signings a bit longer.
Young lads look at city & chelsea acadamys abit like how american kids treat colleges for sport.
Its not about game time or pathway to first team. But the facilities, coaches & experience are that elite that they are more than happy to go there for 2/3 years and then with that experience & coaching under there belt go and find another club for there next stage of there career. Sure the cream will come through like Foden & Mount but these too are perfectly happy, and more impirtantly honest to the kids about what going to these acadamys entails.

Remember Louis Barry too? Trouble when you not a top team but have a decent Academy , they all bugger off, Leo and Harper were given a chance and played for a while but the biggest one to throw it up the wall was Siado Berahino, what a numpty he was.
Wasent there a kid that went to Chelsea too? Came up in the same team as Solanke?
Izzy Brown?

And obviously we nicked Thierry Small off West Brom at 11.
I think Morgan Rogers at City who was excellent at Lincoln last year but stalled at Bournemouth this year under Parker was at West Brom too

Yes Izzy Brown, released by Preston yesterday so no club as we speak. Morgan Rogers was with us but at least we got 7 million for him from City. This Cleary lad actually walked out on us before in the 2019/20 season but couldn't find a club so we agreed to take him back, I'm hearing he got no club lined up at the moment so he taking another risk .

I'm faster than him and I'm 62 with a metal hip ?
Cool, you’re faster than Rondon , can you make the bench Sunday?

Its a strange business with Academy players , we could lose two of our best u16s which doesn’t seem right , but could be poaching another Academy’s player. Views then differ , depending on which end of the transaction you are on.

We don’t often pick up young players when it’s signposted in advance , usually it’s a done deal by the time it’s public knowledge. I would say though that usually we like to be fair and agree a price often over the odds with add ons, as opposed to letting it go to a Tribunal for a cheaper price. I quite like that, it shows integrity, but part of me wishes we had a more ruthless, money making approach like others have.

Cool, you’re faster than Rondon , can you make the bench Sunday?

Its a strange business with Academy players , we could lose two of our best u16s which doesn’t seem right , but could be poaching another Academy’s player. Views then differ , depending on which end of the transaction you are on.

We don’t often pick up young players when it’s signposted in advance , usually it’s a done deal by the time it’s public knowledge. I would say though that usually we like to be fair and agree a price often over the odds with add ons, as opposed to letting it go to a Tribunal for a cheaper price. I quite like that, it shows integrity, but part of me wishes we had a more ruthless, money making approach like others have.
We loose about half a dozen a year and most go to Villa, Cleary is a strange one as he not got a club yet unless he just making out he hasn't

He certainly offers something different in terms of his energy, and carrying the ball forward from the back. It’s League2 stuff so we can’t get carried away but he‘s earned a further contract - and refreshingly from his Tweets he’s committed to our club and the relegation fight.

should be an opportunity for him to win a place in the squad next season, i expect a lot of turnover this summer whether we stay up or go down.