Everton's Managerial Options

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well said. People need to realise that you can play good football and not conceded a hatful of goals as a result. Martinez's refusal to work on the defensive area ultmately cost him his job and has compounded the overly pragmatic view of many of our fans that has been cultivated by years of dour football and the 'plucky little Everton' mentality of David Moyes.

Martinez was asking for trouble with his refusal to do anything to sort the defence but he was trying to build something and his first season has been my favourite to watch as an adult Evertonian. I said at the time he went that he has probably brought it on himself, but I have the feeling that, this being Everton, we would regress and live to regret it.

We need a progressive manager who trusts youth, plays good football, likes to pick up the tempo and who is capable of very occasional pragmatism that doesn't sacrifice a philosophy of good football.

Smith to Moyes was a similar style manager and style
Moyes to Martinez was not
Martinez to Koeman was not as well.

What we are doing is going from one extreme to another.

We need to go back to our history as the School of Science. We need to use this as the direction we take and for the style of football we want to see on the pitch. We then fit everything into that. Players, Coaches and Managers.

Not sure anyone would disagree with that.
Well you say that but a lot of blues I know were banging the Dyche drum (which admittedly does sound euphemisitic) because they wanted another Moyes as if he oversaw some halcyon days, rather than days that were merely better than much of the idle dross that preceded it.

Plus, an alarming amount of fans (though a clear minority) are still advocating giving Allardyce a summer to sign HIS players, as if a dinosaur like that could evolve. Many people also sounding 'better the devil you know' warnings any time something new and unknown appears on the horizon. Football is about winning, not existing. People have forgotten that. The best teams have taken risks. We do not. Hence, we have stagnated. Time to change.

Well you say that but a lot of blues I know were banging the Dyche drum (which admittedly does sound euphemisitic) because they wanted another Moyes as if he oversaw some halcyon days, rather than days that were merely better than much of the idle dross that preceded it.

Plus, an alarming amount of fans (though a clear minority) are still advocating giving Allardyce a summer to sign HIS players, as if a dinosaur like that could evolve. Many people also sounding 'better the devil you know' warnings any time something new and unknown appears on the horizon. Football is about winning, not existing. People have forgotten that. The best teams have taken risks. We do not. Hence, we have stagnated. Time to change.
Football is a game and not a matter of life or death.....and there is the guy who started the cult mentality over there.....

I’m warming to the idea of Silva, but I can’t help but worry about defensive frailties under him. The fact that we beat Watford while we were as bad as we were at that point is a cause for concern!

I’d still try go for Rafael, don’t care about his past he is a top manager with a proven track record and imagine the reaction to him getting us above them lot

I really hope we don’t go for Silva, I just feel that will be a massive mistake. Allardyce has to go though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back