Farhad Moshiri

7+ Years On... Your Verdict On Farhad Moshiri

• Pleased

Votes: 105 7.7%
  • Disappointed

Votes: 1,250 92.3%

• Total voters
Actually it is directly his fault that we’ve ended up with this manager and squad. Every single thing that goes on at the club can be traced back to him, because he is the owner.

I agree. Ultimately the buck stops with Moshiri because he is the Chairman. It's the reason I can't stand Kenwright ie we won nothing and he failed to deliver a stadium. The only thing I would say is that I'd still give Moshiri another couple of years to turn things around and show he has learnt how to run a club.

I blame him for how we've ended up in a position where we get spanked at home by relegation fodder.

Let me ask you this... Moshiri has been owner of Everton for over 5 years. What is Everton's identity?
Well, for a start, it's such a wishy washy question that it doesn't really have a point other than acting as a strawman for perceived problems people are clutching at. What is any teams "identity" and does it last for any sustainable amount of time?

We have problems, this is not in question. Are some of them a symptom of the direction we have taken since Moshiri took over? Undoubtedly. Was that direction widely lampooned when it began? No, not at all. In fact, because of the years of austerity, it was welcomed.
Unfortunately, we hired the wrong manager in an attempt to do the wrong thing that everyone called for. Instant success. Had Moshiri decided to wait, patiently build, and refused to lean towards the fans hostility to the then current manager, he would've faced just as much criticism.

We have essentially gone down the some would say foolish route of gambling and doubling down 2 or 3 times in an attempt to claw back what we had lost. If any one of those gambles had paid off, he would've looked like a genius, but they haven't, so it looks bad and we instead have to regroup.

For every decision he could've made, there was at least 1 other option that may or may not have stood us in a better place than we are today. And with hindsight being 20/20, it's easy for any of us to point out which particular 1 we would've/could've/should've done differently.

Regardless of what you think of him, and the current onfield situation, which is as a result of a combination of poor fortune (missing a host of our best players in quick Succession) and overspending in an attempt to do things quickly rather than patiently, we are where we are. We may have appeared to be in a better situation before he arrived, but punching above our our weight, albeit fairly consistently, was not sustainable long term, just as the overspending we tried to cure it with was as well.

We need a good few years to turn this around. It was never going to happen overnight. People need patience and to apply a bit of reason rather than reacting to every event like its ushering in the end of days.

Last edited:
Well, for a start, it's such a wishy washy question that it doesn't really have a point other than acting as a strawman for perceived problems people are clutching at. What is any teams "identity" and does it last for any sustainable amount of time?

We have problems, this is not in question. Are some of them a symptom of the direction we have taken since Moshiri took over? Undoubtedly. Was that direction widely lampooned when it began? No, not at all. In fact, because of the years of austerity, it was welcomed.
Unfortunately, we hired the wrong manager in an attempt to do the wrong thing that everyone called for. Instant success. Had Moshiri decided to wait, patiently build, and refused to lean towards the fans hostility to the then current manager, he would've faced just as much criticism.

We have essentially gone down the some would say foolish route of gambling and doubling down 2 or 3 times in an attempt to claw back what we had lost. If any one of those gambles had paid off, he would've looked like a genius, but they haven't, so it looks bad and we instead have to regroup.

For every decision he could've made, there was at least 1 other option that may or may not have stood us in a better place than we are today. And with hindsight being 20/20, it's easy for any of us to point out which particular 1 we would've/could've/should've done differently.

Regardless of what you think of him, and the current onfield situation, which is as a result of a combination of poor fortune (missing a host of our best players in quick Succession) and overspending in an attempt to do things quickly rather than patiently, we are where we are. We may have appeared to be in a better situation before he arrived, but punching above our our weight, albeit fairly consistently, was not sustainable long term, just as the overspending we tried to cure it with was as well.

We need a good few years to turn this around. It was never going to happen overnight. People need patience and to apply a bit of reason rather than reacting to every event like its ushering in the end of days.

Patience is only worthwhile if we are on the right path.

People can't seriously believe we are on the right path under this manager and this DOF?

I'm impatient to see us make the right appointments and start to recover. Patience is a losing virtue in sport.

At the moment, I really can’t stand anyone at the club.
In the five years there’s been no progression on the pitch, squandered finances and no connection with the fanbase. But we have a ‘lovely new stadium on the way lads’. Not worth a [Poor language removed] if they haven’t got it right on the field. No point in saying it was always going to take time, this that and the other.. there hasn’t been a glimpse of the club turning the tide in five years. They made a terrible choice in Koeman, Allardyce, Silva and Ancellotti.
We’ve turned into a nothing club and I fear we are one chronic decision away from meltdown.

Patience is only worthwhile if we are on the right path.

People can't seriously believe we are on the right path under this manager and this DOF?

I'm impatient to see us make the right appointments and start to recover. Patience is a losing virtue in sport.
Maybe on a game by game basis, but football never stops. And 143 years in, we are hardly on the verge of extinction.

Football is and has always been cyclical. Because it is almost impossible to remain at the top, for a host of reasons. Everton in particular, seems to have very sporadic periods of success rather than sustained peaks.

Timing, luck, planning, other teams rising and falling, its all a rich tapestry. Its cause and effect. Liverpool winning the league could be the catalyst for an Everton resurgence. 1 young lad who supports Everton and hates losing, who grows up to be a future captain could be the difference between midtable mediocrity and glory. We will literally never know until it happens.

In the meantime, the backing of Moshiri, be it financial backing for players, or the soon to be built new stadium, gives us a much steadier platform to build than the charity shop outfit we were before.

You can criticise individual decisions all you want, but if you can't see the bigger picture, then you are choosing not to.

I don't think it's knee-jerk to suggest he is failing as owner. We've been on the slide for 5 years and seem to fail in every new "project".

The question of identity is not wishy washy. It highlights an owner who thinks that failing in one strategy means you have to go polar opposite and try again. That is why we have such a poor squad. It is a mishmash of different styles that will never gel. A Frankenstein's monster of a team, thrown together from odd parts.

Brands gets blamed and for some of it, is culpable. But, when you have an owner making transfer decisions (tosun, Walcott and iwobi) and going against the rest of the organisation when it comes to appointing the manager (every manager has been 100% a moshiri appointment), you're in trouble.

Maybe on a game by game basis, but football never stops. And 143 years in, we are hardly on the verge of extinction.

Football is and has always been cyclical. Because it is almost impossible to remain at the top, for a host of reasons. Everton in particular, seems to have very sporadic periods of success rather than sustained peaks.

Timing, luck, planning, other teams rising and falling, its all a rich tapestry. Its cause and effect. Liverpool winning the league could be the catalyst for an Everton resurgence. 1 young lad who supports Everton and hates losing, who grows up to be a future captain could be the difference between midtable mediocrity and glory. We will literally never know until it happens.

In the meantime, the backing of Moshiri, be it financial backing for players, or the soon to be built new stadium, gives us a much steadier platform to build than the charity shop outfit we were before.

You can criticise individual decisions all you want, but if you can't see the bigger picture, then you are choosing not to.

I much preferred the version of Everton we had prior to the takeover, and I'm not alone. You knew they weren't very good but they were committed and gave what they could.

I respect the enormous financial backing that has been given, but it has been poor decision after poor decision. It's frightening how much money has been wasted. We've lost our entire identity and have the least likeable squad of my lifetime. There is no evidence that someone who has overseen a multitude of poor decisions, will suddenly start making lots of good decisions. We will only improve when football people are brought into the decision making process.

I much preferred the version of Everton we had prior to the takeover, and I'm not alone. You knew they weren't very good but they were committed and gave what they could.

I respect the enormous financial backing that has been given, but it has been poor decision after poor decision. It's frightening how much money has been wasted. We've lost our entire identity and have the least likeable squad of my lifetime. There is no evidence that someone who has overseen a multitude of poor decisions, will suddenly start making lots of good decisions. We will only improve when football people are brought into the decision making process.
I agree about the make up of the squad, but once you have it, there's not a lot you can do about it in the short term, which is where the patience comes in.

The key is having the patience to stick with something long enough to get things right. People talking about Moyes now and the job he's doing at West Ham, how that could've been us, etc. He was walking a tightrope early last season, and then turned it round. They were actually pleased he wasn't able to turn up to our cup game because of COVID. The comeback against Spurs away changed their season and now they are looking like a team some want us to emulate.

Saturday was an absolute Horror show, but these things happen in football. We are struggling with injuries in an already stretched squad. As people have pointed out, we have already had 9 of our small pool of 1st team players miss out and we are 10 games in. Yes, the squad being small and not good enough is a symptom of previous errors in judgement, but we have to deal with what we have and regroup. And for what it's worth, if it was not for PL rules being breached, I believe Moshiri would've Bank rolled us further to get it right again.

It will take time, but people need to accept that we are going to take a few years to fix the mess that Koeman and Walsh left us with, and the results in the meantime are going to be up and down.

Not sure, 25 trophyless years and continuously being knocked out of cup competitions by lower league clubs I think patience is now wearing thin.
Been 5 years now since takeover and from what I see we don't seem to be any better off now than we there then.Think it goes a lot deeper than blaming it on poor fortune to be honest.

I agree about the make up of the squad, but once you have it, there's not a lot you can do about it in the short term, which is where the patience comes in.

The key is having the patience to stick with something long enough to get things right. People talking about Moyes now and the job he's doing at West Ham, how that could've been us, etc. He was walking a tightrope early last season, and then turned it round. They were actually pleased he wasn't able to turn up to our cup game because of COVID. The comeback against Spurs away changed their season and now they are looking like a team some want us to emulate.

Saturday was an absolute Horror show, but these things happen in football. We are struggling with injuries in an already stretched squad. As people have pointed out, we have already had 9 of our small pool of 1st team players miss out and we are 10 games in. Yes, the squad being small and not good enough is a symptom of previous errors in judgement, but we have to deal with what we have and regroup. And for what it's worth, if it was not for PL rules being breached, I believe Moshiri would've Bank rolled us further to get it right again.

It will take time, but people need to accept that we are going to take a few years to fix the mess that Koeman and Walsh left us with, and the results in the meantime are going to be up and down.
The situation is a never decreasing circle. Patience is worthless if crazy decisions keep getting put in the mix

Five years is a long enough honeymoon in my opinion

Not so sure about this. Plenty of clubs keep their ex players on as coaching staff. Unsworth seems content to manage the youth squad and Big Dunc seems content to be an assistant. (Plus of course, the optics. Not sure any incoming manager or owner particularly wants the PR of sacking the legends when its easier to keep them on at the side).
Unsworth leaving would be a decision that the fans would embrace as we all would love to see our academy produce players like we have historically. He has stunk the academy out for far to long and is more interested in preserving his reputation by winning PL2 than he is in developing players good enough for the first team. Each team in the top 6 has numerous players from their academies playing week in week out whilst our under 23 side was using overaged players which halts the development of any potential talent.