Football Disillusionment

Status
Not open for further replies.

bazza86

Player Valuation: £750k
I’ve been supporting Everton for over 60 years, through great times, good times, not so good times and dismal times but I’m now getting really disillusioned with football in general and with Everton in particular. Covid lockdown hasn’t helped and has probably just brought this disillusionment into focus. However, after yesterday’s abysmal performance I sat and thought about the main causes of my discontent and these include some major issues and minor irritations (not necessarily Everton based) but I’m sure everyone can add to this list (including me!).

• Ridiculous transfer fees: you could build 5-6 primary schools for the cost of one iwobi* (£28M)
  • Obscene levels of wages: You could employ 74 nurses for one Iwobi* annual salary (£2.6m)
  • VAR: where do I start?
  • Feigning injury: the obligatory scream of agony and the holding of the head, thigh, knee, shin, ankle after every hard (and not so hard) tackle. Mainly to disrupt the oppositions progress when you’ve just lost the ball!
  • Throw-Ins: players from both sides holding up their arms and yelling ‘our ball’ every time there’s a throw-in, even when it’s clearly obvious who the ball last touched.
  • Commentator’s terminology: ‘high press’ ‘low block’ ‘high line’ ‘tiki-taka’ ‘false number nine’ ‘box to box player’ ‘playing in the pocket’………..meaningless phrases that make me cringe every time I hear some half-wit commentator and his Stan Laurel side kick trying to appear ‘knowledgeable’.
* = or substitute any other expensive, overpaid, not very talented premier league player.

Of course if we beat Man City next Saturday all will be forgiven until next time!

Football was changed by money years ago (1992) Everton can now compete to a certain point financially if we can get to the next level and actually win things i am pretty sure no one will complain about the money in the game

American sports wages are disgusting.
Worse than ours.
And look how they treat their citizens ,healthcare etc.

We could curb the pl.
Cancel your subscription.
Stop going.
Empty stadiums after lockdown will look awful.
It'll take time .

If we won yesterday and got champions league or fa cup win these worries would be gone...

I get your point but, this new muted European league is the latest bug bear of mine, when is enough enough.

Fans and the majority of clubs should have begged for a Salary cap like they have in the NFL, the focus then would be on developing our own players and being screwd in the market. City can keep pumping 50m on defenders until they get it right.......

The Bosman case and the no limit on foreign players changed football.....

I wonder if it's the better for it.

Worse than ours.
These things are pretty unrelated. I don't think LeBron making less would convince the aholes to fix our healthcare.

But as to the point of the thread a lot of this could be fixed with a little desire to do it. Not the money part unfortunately.

Yeah I’m getting increasingly less arsed with football and Everton year on year. Eventually I’ll likely can it all together as I have many interests that are probably already above football

I’ve been supporting Everton for over 60 years, through great times, good times, not so good times and dismal times but I’m now getting really disillusioned with football in general and with Everton in particular. Covid lockdown hasn’t helped and has probably just brought this disillusionment into focus. However, after yesterday’s abysmal performance I sat and thought about the main causes of my discontent and these include some major issues and minor irritations (not necessarily Everton based) but I’m sure everyone can add to this list (including me!).

• Ridiculous transfer fees: you could build 5-6 primary schools for the cost of one iwobi* (£28M)
  • Obscene levels of wages: You could employ 74 nurses for one Iwobi* annual salary (£2.6m)
  • VAR: where do I start?
  • Feigning injury: the obligatory scream of agony and the holding of the head, thigh, knee, shin, ankle after every hard (and not so hard) tackle. Mainly to disrupt the oppositions progress when you’ve just lost the ball!
  • Throw-Ins: players from both sides holding up their arms and yelling ‘our ball’ every time there’s a throw-in, even when it’s clearly obvious who the ball last touched.
  • Commentator’s terminology: ‘high press’ ‘low block’ ‘high line’ ‘tiki-taka’ ‘false number nine’ ‘box to box player’ ‘playing in the pocket’………..meaningless phrases that make me cringe every time I hear some half-wit commentator and his Stan Laurel side kick trying to appear ‘knowledgeable’.
* = or substitute any other expensive, overpaid, not very talented premier league player.

Of course if we beat Man City next Saturday all will be forgiven until next time!
Amen. Been feeling the same fir a few years now. The sport is dead to me, all that's left is a TV focused pantomime

Tbh the lockdowns killing footy to me. Its pointless without anyone there.
Might sound hyperbolic but it's something I've been thinking on since everyone's been playing behind closed doors, it all feels so distant and alien. Everton feels part of my history and culture, my dad went there and his dad before him.
I lost my dad a whole ago and the distance from the club (as in going the game) and me feels horrible, I've never not been the game this long in my life.
Everton is something that's existed within the city for over a hundred years and despite it being a 10 minute car ride away it feels a million miles away.
Even the game being on doesn't feel real, when we were first for that spell it was a weird mix of euphoria, melancholy and nea.
Hard for me to describe and I dno if this makes any sense, I find it really depressing being so far away from something that means so much to me.
It feels like theirs a glass separator between football and reality, I miss football being a part of reality.

I'm probably just burned out from lockdown and miss social activities, I dno.

Used to be an affordable afternoon out back in the 60’s when I started going. In the 70’s you could take your son out of the way of his Mum for the afternoon, without breaking the bank. I guess these days, by the time you’ve bought the lad a coke and a burger you’re spending the best part of £100?

I wouldn’t mind but we used to win stuff then as well.

These things are pretty unrelated. I don't think LeBron making less would convince the aholes to fix our healthcare.

But as to the point of the thread a lot of this could be fixed with a little desire to do it. Not the money part unfortunately.
Just an outsider looking in.
Never said they were related.
As iwobis transfer fees v building social buildings.

Worse than ours.

We could curb the pl.
Cancel your subscription.
Stop going.
Empty stadiums after lockdown will look awful.
It'll take time .
Its subscriptions that are key. Stadia should be full of fans.

If we do a bit of social engineering and deride, alienate and make sky/bt subscribers feel the same way we make drink drivers, smokers, sugar eaters, non-vegans, motorists, white males, feel - then the football cash would soon dry up.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back