Forgive me Farhad, for I have sinned.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That week wads the highlight of the last 2 decades! We finished 4th ahead of that lot and qualified for the champions league....qualifiers
Like i said, mustve been a different game a different year then. Deffo the arse, early 2k's. 5-0?

As I live in Brum I went to quite a few Birmingham City games back in the day, with a season ticket holder mate of mine. Usually league cup games when the ground was half empty. I was sat in the Tilton road end for one such game and the few that were there started singing "Tired and Weary", which is their main song. Well, as I knew the words, I sang along, mainly cos it was a pathetic effort and I felt sorry for them, honest. At half time a bunch of lads sat a few rows below us came over and asked politely if it was ok to come and sit by a "proper Bluenose". I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I have an Everton tattoo on my hand, so I had to stick my gloves on to avoid a long explanation or a possible pasting. Sorry Everton.

I turned the radio off when we went 2-0 down to Wimbledon in "that game".

I had a season ticket from 1978 to 1989 but had to move away for work and had a young family and couldn't afford to go more than a couple of games a season.
The radio and grandstand were the only ways of keeping up with the scores. That and teletext (remember those days?)

Anyway, that lasted for about a minute. I switched back on as I had to share in the misery but also in hope we'd turn it around.
Fortunately we did.
9 months later our youngest was born.

My boy lives back up in Liverpool now and is a season ticket holder.
I'm now fortunate enough to see about 30 games a season although last season was challenging to say the least.

It wouldn't have stopped me going to as many as I can this season but the signs are looking better this time round.

First game I went to was Liverpool in the kop with my older brother, I think against Notts Forest, when I was 9. Couldn't see a thing, people pissing in each others pockets and on the floor where they stood, rolling forward every time there was an attempt on goal. Hated every minute.

Second time was Liverpool v Bayern Munich in 1970. My dad had tickets for the whole family (7) (6 kopites and me) and the only reason I went was because I knew he would be fish and chips for everyone. I was already seeing the light and leaning towards EFC but to get my Fish & Chips I had to sign a declaration written by my brother in green spirograph ink that I would follow Liverpool from then on.

I duly signed, went the game, sat in what is now the centenary stand, got my fish and chips, went home and started supporting Everton from the next morning. My father disowned me, refused to give me pocket money until Sunday so I couldn't spend it on watching Everton, wouldn't buy me football boots and never came to watch me play for the school, where at 16, I was playing for the first team.

Anyway, that was my Dad's loss, he could have come to Goodison with me. Once a blue, always a blue. NSNO.

I sinned.

Sat in a pub some time in the early 2000s watching us get embarrassed 7-0 or something by the Arsenal after an already bad run of miserable awfulness.

The thought crossed my mind, only for the swiftest, slightest part of the tiniest femtosecond: "find another club"

I went hone and showered myself in scalding water for the thought, and still haven't felt properly clean since, but the thought, however transient, was there, I cannot deny it.

Forgive me.
This was the week after we qualified
for champions league

First game I went to was Liverpool in the kop with my older brother, I think against Notts Forest, when I was 9. Couldn't see a thing, people pissing in each others pockets and on the floor where they stood, rolling forward every time there was an attempt on goal. Hated every minute.

Second time was Liverpool v Bayern Munich in 1970. My dad had tickets for the whole family (7) (6 kopites and me) and the only reason I went was because I knew he would be fish and chips for everyone. I was already seeing the light and leaning towards EFC but to get my Fish & Chips I had to sign a declaration written by my brother in green spirograph ink that I would follow Liverpool from then on.

I duly signed, went the game, sat in what is now the centenary stand, got my fish and chips, went home and started supporting Everton from the next morning. My father disowned me, refused to give me pocket money until Sunday so I couldn't spend it on watching Everton, wouldn't buy me football boots and never came to watch me play for the school, where at 16, I was playing for the first team.

Anyway, that was my Dad's loss, he could have come to Goodison with me. Once a blue, always a blue. NSNO.

Don't know why I gave fish and chips capital letters the second time, must have been really important to me!!

Last season when we played Liverpool in the FA Cup I had a £5 bet on Gylfi Sidurdsson to score outside the area and Virgil Van Dijk to score a header - it won me a grand and I celebrated like a man who had just won a grand. Spent the remaining five minutes hoping I could have my cake and eat it and that we would get an equaliser but I think big sam was happy to take a 2-1 loss.

I can remember sitting in my Uncle Alan's sidecar on the day of the 1965 cup final wearing a red and white rosette with a plastic football stuck on to it.By the time of the '68 final my Uncle Ed had set me on the right path.

44 yrs man and boy born blue die blue never sinned cried my eyes over the years hating them but loving them with a massive passion aswell

Used to go to other grounds frequently but never to support the other side (excepting the visitors on the rare time I would go to The Pit, only Arsenal ever seemed to oblige). Just a youthful interest in football. Orient, Arsenal, QPR, Wrexham, Newcastle, Sunderland, Darlington, Hartlepool, Partick etc (wherever I was working at the time).

I have had my moments, I am sure we all have, where after a defeat against some rank ordinary side or a turgid display you say "that is it for me. No more worrying about a football team over whom you exercise no control". You convince yourself that come next week you won't care about them. Then 24 hours pass and you start to find ways to make excuses, tell yourself things will improve. The "hope" sucks you in. The "hope" is a strong and unrelenting force.
It survived Fat Sam.

We lost 7-0 to Arsenal straight after qualifying for the Champions League. Slightly embarrassing but Moyes greatest season. Not a run of badness.

Remember that one.......Richard Wright in goal, who was probably the worst goalkeeper I can recall playing for us. I think we bought him from Arsenal as well.

On Nov 28th 2018 I lost all interest in my club of over 30 years and until May 16 2019 I didn't enter GOT, read an article, check a score, watch highlights or a full game. Not planned but the interest was totally killed that day after the club spent the season and a half previously nurturing my indifference. I barely watched any football at all during this time and missed a fair few games at camp nou.

I wondered if I'd get the same interest back at any point. Thankfully on May 16 my wife called me at work with the glorious news and took me out for dinner that evening to celebrate and all the glorious nonsense involved with being an obsessive football fan came flooding back.

The main change afterwards is that I trust the baxtards about as far as I could throw them now.

Coybbaxtards

Status
Not open for further replies.