2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe that's because Lampard actually showed enthusiasm to be in the job, didn't try to alienate the fans, hadn't previously referred to Everton as a small club, and wasn't a legend across the park.

Lampard also got the players running and showing far more commitment, and Goodison will always back teams who try to fight and compete.

Call a spade a spade mate a significant proportion of the fanbase were gagging for Benitez's first defeat so they could pile on with their hatred.

If you cant accept both he and Lampard came into difficult jobs for different reasons then there is no point going around in circles.

@Saint Domingo

Agreed but why is context only given to Lampard?

Benitez walked into a job where over half of the fanbase hated the fella - to say that wouldn't have rubbed off on the players is laughable. The atmosphere wasn't a patch on what it was under Lampard which again gives the players a kick up the arse.

The reality is both managers came into difficult jobs but only one is given any context and the other laughed off "pfftt 9 injuries, £1.7 million budget and an angry fanbase why didn't he have uz top half!"
The atmosphere wasn't that bad at the start of the season. Most fans went with it. "If Benitez does well Everton do well". That was also my feeling despite not wanting him to get the job.

I think it's telling that Lampard, someone from down south with no Merseyside connection, understood far more how to connect with and set up a positive rapport with the Everton supporters than Benitez, someone who has lived in the City for years, did

Lampard seems to understand the importance of reaching across the aisle and getting the supporters onside

Benitez was either too arrogant or just too plain stupid to realise similar

When you're going to a club where the supporters have a predisposition to not liking you then you need to work extra hard to get them onside. Benitez didn't even try, and thus he was the architect of his own demise

Maybe that's because Lampard actually showed enthusiasm to be in the job, didn't try to alienate the fans, hadn't previously referred to Everton as a small club, and wasn't a legend across the park.

Lampard also got the players running and showing far more commitment, and Goodison will always back teams who try to fight and compete.

Lampard came in mid season with 0 of his own players rather than having a full pre season under his belt too. But no, they got the same results herp a derp.

Agreed but why is context only given to Lampard?

Benitez walked into a job where over half of the fanbase hated the fella - to say that wouldn't have rubbed off on the players is laughable. The atmosphere wasn't a patch on what it was under Lampard which again gives the players a kick up the arse.

The reality is both managers came into difficult jobs but only one is given any context and the other laughed off "pfftt 9 injuries, £1.7 million budget and an angry fanbase why didn't he have uz top half!"
The part about the fanbase, he has no sympathy from me, he knew fine well what he was signing up for but still had the hubris or narcissism to take the job. His tactics were what killed it for me like, absolutely awful, for a supposed defensive manager we were like a tetley tea bag at the back.

Call a spade a spade mate a significant proportion of the fanbase were gagging for Benitez's first defeat so they could pile on with their hatred.

If you cant accept both he and Lampard came into difficult jobs for different reasons then there is no point going around in circles.

@Saint Domingo

I never wanted him but I never wanted to lose football matches either. I'm just glad we've moved on now. You need to move on too and try and support the current manager. Who knows how things will turn out but he achieved last year's target so he gets a chance to build on it this year. We need a long term boss to overhaul the squad.

The atmosphere wasn't that bad at the start of the season. Most fans went with it. "If Benitez does well Everton do well". That was also my feeling despite not wanting him to get the job.

Thats all well and good mate but thats because we were winning games of football and some still were moaning even when we were winning games 3-1 & 2-0.

Soon as we lost a game the atmosphere quickly turned which was the most disappointing aspect of last season for me - some fans cared more about their own ego than getting behind the club.

The part about the fanbase, he has no sympathy from me, he knew fine well what he was signing up for but still had the hubris or narcissism to take the job. His tactics were what killed it for me like, absolutely awful, for a supposed defensive manager we were like a tetley tea bag at the back.

I think his biggest mistake was not trying to get the fanbase onside the minute he showed up

A comprehensive apology for the small club comment was an absolute must

He didn't have to bag on Liverpool or anything, but just make it clear that he said what he said in anger and that he apologised and wanted to start off on the right foot

I can maybe speak only for myself here, but that would have satisfied me and I would have been far more likely to stick up for him during tricky times because he'd done it

To not do so was a complete lack of courtesy and contrition on his part, and the relationship was never going to work from that point on, especially as it made the "just get over it" shouts from his defenders all the more hollow. It's very hard to just "get over" something if the other party makes zero effort to try and resolve it. I'm not having the half-baked "my comments were misinterpreted" nonsense either. He knew what he said and why, and the fact he tried to dance around it was all the more insulting. He should have owned it and apologised

I never wanted him but I never wanted to lose either. I'm just glad we've moved on now. You need to move on too and try and support the current manager. Who knows how things will turn out but he achieved last year's target so he gets a chance to build on it this year. We need a long term boss to overhaul the squad.

I never mention Benitez I just get people responding to my every post bringing him up and when I respond to them they go "ahhhh lad get over him" lol ?‍♂️

The Benitez obsession certainly isn't with me it seems many still can't get over him.

Thats all well and good mate but thats because we were winning games of football and some still were moaning even when we were winning games 3-1 & 2-0.

Soon as we lost a game the atmosphere quickly turned which was the most disappointing aspect of last season for me - some fans cared more about their own ego than getting behind the club.
The fans were always going to react like though. It was so obvious. Football fans will be football fans. The fact that the owner/board didn't see that coming shows how utterly useless they are.

The board/owner should have never offered him the job. That's where the blame lies for last years mess. Football fans will behave very predictably, they're not going to suddenly change their view on him over night, so I think it's moronic to think it would have panned out any other way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back