2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can't help but feel flat after that match. Safety is still in our hands and a result against Brentford could do it.

Trying to avoid conceding is a pretty sensible platform but I'd like Frank to have other options up his sleeve for when the game is there to be won.

Do something to stop Erikson and work out a way to attack them.
That will all come when we are safe. Which could happen on Sunday, meaning lampard can be more adventurous in the final games. Risking a point by opening ourselves up would be foolish right now.

Make us hard to beat, hard to score against has to be the primary task, especially when our defence makes as many mistakes as they do.

But then the attackers need to have more composure at the same time for when they do get chances. Of which, there were numerous yesterday.

I do think he would have risked it more had mina even fit and not Keane on the pitch.

We played some of the best attacking football i've seen at everton in the first 10 games of last season and then against the top teams got into the rut of sitting back and grinding results (easiest way to play against the top teams). Never managed to get out of it and I hope it doesn't happen to Lampard.
No mate, what happened after the first 10 games was injuries. Players started dropping like flies and then the replacements could simply not do what Ancelotti wanted. We dropped a lot of points.

He tinkered with formations and personnel and nothing was working. We then played every away game sitting in our box, as unit and looked to counter and score. It worked away from home and we were second at Christmas.

When the onus was on us to break teams down we couldn’t, because the players are utter garbo

I get the feeling he's recognised the plight we're in, assessed the squad and gone for players who have the character, work rate and the bottle to dig in and get us safe. I suspect that some of the players being used sparsely have not shown the same fight. It will be a very interesting summer in terms of transfers and even more interesting to see how he sets us up early next season with all to play for and his own signings

I get the feeling he's recognised the plight we're in, assessed the squad and gone for players who have the character, work rate and the bottle to dig in and get us safe. I suspect that some of the players being used sparsely have not shown the same fight. It will be a very interesting summer in terms of transfers and even more interesting to see how he sets us up early next season with all to play for and his own signings
Some will and have to fit into Franks future plans, some will be unable to and will been outed. We just have to make sure we survive then Frank can really get to work and we can see what he can sort out with this team.

That will all come when we are safe. Which could happen on Sunday, meaning lampard can be more adventurous in the final games. Risking a point by opening ourselves up would be foolish right now.

Make us hard to beat, hard to score against has to be the primary task, especially when our defence makes as many mistakes as they do.

But then the attackers need to have more composure at the same time for when they do get chances. Of which, there were numerous yesterday.

I do think he would have risked it more had mina even fit and not Keane on the pitch.
Yes, I think that's fair. It's why I feel flat rather than angry.

Probably an important point and another step to safety.

In hindsight the team probably needed freshening last night, more than a few looked leggy. Its hard to change a winning side especially when 3 pts last night would've put us in a very strong position.

I'm loathe to criticise him but he was a bit nieve not to change it earlier last night. 2 big lads up top and lash the crosses in on top of them.

It’s amazing how quickly people’s opinions can swing after one game, especially when we look back at the schedule expecting us to lose to United, Chelsea, and Leicester. What this team was before he arrived, Frank has overachieved in his short tenure here.
I don't think it's that people's opinions are changing mate. It's just that all the nay sayers crawl into their caves when we win but come out in their droves whenever we don't pick up the full 3 points.

Frank was over cautious last night , but, understandably so. He has realised that the defence just can't be trusted as a 4 and rightly decided to keep t tight and try to nick one. It nearly worked, because we did have the chances to win the game. The main thing, in our current position, was not to lose, we just have to keep at least matching Leeds and Burnley's results and not suffer any morale sapping defeats.

With hindsight, perhaps Frank should have gone for it in the last half hour, but, had we have gone for it, we may well have conceded. A point was ok last night, let's just hope that the crowd and the adrenaline can get us a win against Brentford.

Come Sunday evening, if Leeds have already lost I’m more than happy for us to play out the most boring draw ever, because then we will be safe down to Leeds poor goal difference.
Agreed, it wasn’t very exciting but it’s just about survival.
There was a brief time Burnley were above us in the league because they had lost less matches than us. They have 13 draws and we have 6, meaning 7 more points because they put in low risk performances like that.
Does anyone think Leeds will win both their remaining games? Even if Leeds pick up four points we just need two draws from three and our two home games shouldn’t be losses.

Playing to not lose is something I usually hate, but I can see why he’s done it last night.

Tbh i dont think we have anything else other than that. There's very little or no quality waiting in the wings. I'm very mixed about last night as we could have more or less put it to bed. Im usually very wary but i dont feel leeds or burnley will get much from the next 2 games. Thats why i think those two extra points last night would have been great. But we never got them not because i think we were cautious. But because we lack quality.
If we stay up we have to recruit otherwise i think we're down here again next season.

I've seen enough from lampard so far to have a lot of confidence in taking us forward, depending on financially if he can start to rebuild (sales more than anything)

This team deserves to be where it is, no question on that. We can't attack , we struggle to defend and midfield is not imposing at all.

Over the last several weeks we have seen some intensity , pressing , pressure and even a will to win be installed into these players. That can only go so far when your players are terrible so you can't really expect them to turn into a top 6 side. There has been elements of players being dropped along side that , rather than sticking and suffering.

Whether lampard is a success here just depends on to what extent the club is willing to back him. If we can ship out 4-5 players on top of the contract ones and bring some players in, even some loan ones then maybe we have a chance of turning this around. If we hamper expectations and aim for 10th next season whilst installing a philosophy within the spine then it makes it easier going that next step.

We need fight and passion as a minimum now.

Exhibit one: Iwobi.

Been transformed under Lampard whos, tasked him with getting round the pitch trouble shooting.

In fact - I'll praise Lampard - he's made us hard to beat - I'm sure he'd rather play expansive football and perhaps we will when we have more points to play for (and better centre-back / midfield options).

Errr just don’t know if I can agree there. I wouldn’t say we were hard to beat lately as most of our good results have required Pickford to enter the Matrix.

Status
Not open for further replies.