2021/22 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can see him gone by xmas. He somehow stumbled over the line thanks in no short part to the fans especially at home. His away record both in points total and performance were truly shocking.
Took him 5 or so weeks to realize our CB struggle with defending never mind given the extra responsibility of playing out from back. Stumbled upon Iwobi in the 8 then promptly dropped him to RwB.
It's a pity because I like his passion but he just seems clueless

jesus christ. not even started and we have this seriously

He’s not the specific manager I hoped for but he’s the type of young and attack minded manager I hoped for.
We’ve changed too many managers in a short space of time one more change may finally break my spirit with regard to Everton F.C.
Considering the (very) shortlist we had last time and remembering that Kenwright almost lumbered us with a part time Martinez, I think Lampard was definitely the right choice.

Vitor liked to play pretty open final iirc. Frank tried that. We got walloped everywhere. Frank changed his tactics. Would Vitor have or would he be another Martinez essentially?

We really weren't much better from Rafael to Lampard where we? Lampard was 20 in 18. We had 19 in the rest and Dunc had a couple of games in between.

Anyway I said before I don't care what our total is so much as I want us to play better. Again better, not prettier.

Manager tiers:

Pep, Conte, Klopp

Tuchel

Moyes, Potter, Ten Hag, Arteta (I guess? He's hard)

Then it's a whole mess which I'd include Frank in.

And then in the pit of despair is Steve Bruce.

I genuinely don't get people who make this argument

It utterly ignores the context of what came beforehand, which was the worst run of form in the history of the club

Yes, Lampard picked up 20 points from 18 games, however to put some context around that - split the 18 games in half and Lampard picked up 6 points in his first 9 games, picking up 14 in his 2nd 9 games. Is it really so terrible to suggest that he had a real job on his hands to turn around the form of a club coming off the back of the worst 14 game run in its history?

Eddie Howe, who was lauded for turning Newcastle around, got 7 points from his first 9 games.

I don't see anyone claiming that Lampard is the messiah, but equally I think there's plenty of scope to suggest that he needs to be cut a little bit of slack when you analyse his performance so far.

I genuinely don't get people who make this argument

It utterly ignores the context of what came beforehand, which was the worst run of form in the history of the club

Yes, Lampard picked up 20 points from 18 games, however to put some context around that - split the 18 games in half and Lampard picked up 6 points in his first 9 games, picking up 14 in his 2nd 9 games. Is it really so terrible to suggest that he had a real job on his hands to turn around the form of a club coming off the back of the worst 14 game run in its history?

Eddie Howe, who was lauded for turning Newcastle around, got 7 points from his first 9 games.

I don't see anyone claiming that Lampard is the messiah, but equally I think there's plenty of scope to suggest that he needs to be cut a little bit of slack when you analyse his performance so far.
I've pointed out the howe at newcastle situation a few times. It took him 9 games and 100m in a transfer window to turn it round. But he was hired when they had enough time to allow him to do that. But there was no new manager bounce and it took time.

We hesitated on sacking our previous manager and allowed him to sell one of our best players 2 days before we did. Also leaving zero time for lampard to make any moves in the transfer window.

Can see him gone by xmas. He somehow stumbled over the line thanks in no short part to the fans especially at home. His away record both in points total and performance were truly shocking.
Took him 5 or so weeks to realize our CB struggle with defending never mind given the extra responsibility of playing out from back. Stumbled upon Iwobi in the 8 then promptly dropped him to RwB.
It's a pity because I like his passion but he just seems clueless

I hope he makes a success of it here but I am equally apprehensive that he's not at the level required just yet.

Some of his in game management / tactics are very questionable.

The reality is the fans kept us up last season - without that same atmosphere next season it'll be all on the players/manager and I don't have a lot of faith in either truth be told.

I've pointed out the howe at newcastle situation a few times. It took him 9 games and 100m in a transfer window to turn it round. But he was hired when they had enough time to allow him to do that. But there was no new manager bounce and it took time.

We hesitated on sacking our previous manager and allowed him to sell one of our best players 2 days before we did. Also leaving zero time for lampard to make any moves in the transfer window.

For what it's worth, had Lampard been able to maintain the sort of results we got over the 2nd half of his 18 games here, that works out to 59 points over a full season - equalling what Ancelotti managed and it would have been good enough for 6th place last season. There's a lot of "what ifs" there, but again, all I'm really suggesting here is that we keep an open mind when analysing his performance.

I hope he makes a success of it here but I am equally apprehensive that he's not at the level required just yet.

Some of his in game management / tactics are very questionable.

The reality is the fans kept us up last season - without that same atmosphere next season it'll be all on the players/manager and I don't have a lot of faith in either truth be told.
Yesterday it was the fans fault we were nearly relegated, today its the fans that kept us up.

What's the point in having a manager if they don't have any impact on us going down or staying up. As you make Benitez out to be blameless and give no credit to lampard.

For what it’s worth;

Benitez’s PL record: 19 games, 19pts, 5 wins, 4 draws and 10 losses. PPG: 1
Totally split the fan base and oversaw a span of 9 games without a win.

Lampard’s PL record: 18 games, 20pts, 6 wins, 2 draws and 9 losses. PPG: 1.1
United the fans with his honesty and his passion and picked the squad up off the floor.

Is Lampard the perfect manager for us? In the long run, no. But he is perfect for the 2/3 year project that we need to settle the squad and the fan’s expectations and take us between 9-12th for a year or two. He ideally puts us in a position for the next manager to come in and hopefully take us up a little further.

The truth is, the club is on its arse, we’re basically a championship club playing in the Prem and we have to approach this season as such and look to consolidate our league status again. The squad can’t be completely overhauled for reasons we know all to well. We as fans just need to continue with how we finished last season. That’s all we can do. Arguing with each other on social media and forums isn’t going to help anyone, we’re either all in this together or we may as well just jib it now and watch the cricket instead.

We all go on like we’re experts in the field of football ownership, management and playing ability, we’e just normal people who follow a footy team. Accept others opinions without having your ego bruised or offended just because they don’t agree with you. Have a discussion, absolutely, but don’t be a t**t about it.

UTFT!!!

Yesterday it was the fans fault we were nearly relegated, today its the fans that kept us up.

What's the point in having a manager if they don't have any impact on us going down or staying up. As you make Benitez out to be blameless and give no credit to lampard.

As @SLAVEN BILIC pointed oot:

You accuse Benitez of being the worst manager of all time and Lampard our saviour when they have similar records here.

Next season is the acid test - you can't blame the previous manager any more if Fronk doesn't push us on.

You accuse Benitez of being the worst manager of all time and Lampard our saviour when they have similar records here.

Again, some context...

Benitez started out ok - majority of his points came in the opening half dozen games or so. He then presided over the worst run of form in the history of the club (whether you think injuries etc were the major contributing factor here, we will never know), he alienated our only left back, he managed to push out the DoF and he was sacked with us in free fall and a mess behind the scenes with recruitment and medical staff resigning or being sacked all over the place. Now there's an argument there that the scorched earth thing he did might actually benefit us in the long run, but essentially Lampard inherited a team/club which was in the midst of the worst run of form in its entire 144 year history, in chaos off the pitch and, without doubt, he took some time to turn that around.

Putting up the overall points record doesn't even begin to tell the full story. It's like the kopite stuff about Lampard being lauded for taking Everton from 16th to 16th.

Next season is the acid test - you can't blame the previous manager any more if Fronk doesn't push us on.

4 of those 5 wins were in the first 6 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.