2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m still waiting for the honeymoon period with Lampard, always get bounce when a new managers comes on board, we didn’t. Like I said lampard is a nice guy, don’t want it to get to a stage when it gets bitter against him, but he ain’t good enough as a manager with us. Hope he earns he’s stripes elsewhere.

1000006957.jpg

I’m still waiting for the honeymoon period with Lampard, always get bounce when a new managers comes on board, we didn’t. Like I said lampard is a nice guy, don’t want it to get to a stage when it gets bitter against him, but he ain’t good enough as a manager with us. Hope he earns he’s stripes elsewhere.
Yeah he never got one, all that happened was we didn't get relegated, that's it

What’s annoying me is that’s one thing I genuinely thought he did ‘get’. I saw him give an interview a couple of months back where he talked about the fans wanting front foot, aggressive football, with hard working players trying to win every game. He was saying the fans don’t mind if it’s passing football or direct as long as they can see you’re doing it with a purpose. I thought ‘yes, finally a manager who gets it’, and the derby and palace game were the blueprint for that type of performance. We seem to have moved away from it though, and recent games have been as far away from that type of football as you can get.
How much of that is on the players though? They played exactly what you’ve said and what he wants v Palace then seemed to regressed against what the manager wants for the last 3 games

We all know that the attacking third of the pitch is currently horrifying

But the midfield has been completely revamped and looks utterly aimless - and even the much vaunted defensive unit has just conceded 7 goals in a week to Bournemouth

Both the midfield and the defence have been put in place by Lampard/Thelwell - so who do we blame for the current failings in those areas?

I agree wholeheartedly that the team needs better players but is Lampard the best man to get the best out of them. I have my doubts after what I’ve witnessed recently. Really gutted as I want every Everton manager to be successful and I genuinely thinks Lampard ‘gets us’ but what has been served up in the last 4 games is dire. There is no worse team in the PL than us at present.

How much of that is on the players though? They played exactly what you’ve said and what he wants v Palace then seemed to regressed against what the manager wants for the last 3 games
If the manager is setting the team up and telling them to do one thing but the players are doing something different then surely questions need to be asked as to why. Players lost/losing confidence in what the manager is saying possibly?

We've missed Patterson so much. Hopefully more balance in the team again now. Although didn't go that way today...
He's not that good, like.

Like I said earlier, he had a perfect chance to set up a sitter today for Maupay but instead decided to lash the ball like he was aiming for Calvert-Lewin.

I think we are passing the ball aimlessly with no purpose. We dont play between the lines or create chances so whats the point of it?

We have far better chance bypassing our inept midfield and getting the opposition defence turned towards their own goal.

And by playing slow passive possession football, we are wide open on transitions when we lose it. And I mean wide open. Its frightening how easy it is to get to the edge of our box.

The style hes playing isn't working and will never work at Everton. It encourages lacklustre performance and a lack of intensity as well.

And on recruitment, if Thelwell thought Maupay and McNeil were what we need then we can draw 2 conclusions

1) He doesnt understand Everton and what our identity is
2) He's out of his depth
We do do that, because teams are happy to let us have the ball when we're chasing a game because they know we run out of ideas. We do this, we run out of ideas. We did it under Carlo, under Silva, under Bentiez, every manager.

The first 15 mins today we looked sharp. Yet nothing comes of it because it falls down in that final third, and that's down to a lack of quality.

Then after that, I do believe there isn't enough knowledge tactically from the manager/coaches and then talent on the field to change games.

But we are not trying to play possession football in the sense that it's possession for possession's sake. It's just that teams - two teams play the game, remember - are happy to let us have the ball if they have a lead, because they know the players up top offer nothing (zero threat, zero movement). Again, it comes down to that mate. There's just nothing up top so when we go long it comes back, and then we try to work our way through but nobody drops into space to receive the pass so we go sideways and then lose it. It ALL boils down to those shocking players up front.

In regards Thelwell, I think he had a ton to do in the summer and he, like Lampard, needs/needed time. I get it, but him and the board were not proactive enough. We had limited funds to change an entire squad, but this team doesn't have goals in it, which means we're struggling to play badly and win, obviously, whereas other teams with goals in them can eek out those results.

Interesting, and slightly concerning assessment.

Oh yeah the midfield set up has been garbage.

It ain't 433 though, it's 4141, and we don't have the players to make it work. It's on Lampard, but I do think he's wanting more numbers forward to try and break. Teams are playing around it so easily, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.