2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
Rewriting history again. Lukaku was good against Bournemouth and Sunderland. Not so good against better teams. Something that hasnt changed for him. Ergo doenst play for Manchester United or Chelsea anymore.
Lukaku was one of those odd No9s you could bank on getting goals season in season out, yet somehow next to none of them ever seemed to be against the top teams. Strange record for such a quality striker.

Just have to get players in asap in January.

The lack of character and fight in the last two games is a real worry and I put that in large part down to frustration on the players part that the team has such a paltry attack.

We got somewhere off the back of spirit and work ethic for the earlier part of the season but when you go a goal down they think they have no way back and heads drop.

The core group is ok and can still rally and reunite but not without support.

We don't have the luxury of waiting. The World Cup may be a hindrance in that respect but shouldn't be too much of one. We need to get going with signings as a matter of urgency in January.

I'm as concerned as I was in March-May. They have to get players in, at least two.

Yes Dave, as I said he conceded few goals in his first season, 39 I believe, when his defence was still the one well drilled by Moyes. Once we stopped practicing silly things like defending corners, we conceded 58 the following season.
There was no change in the system form 1st to 2nd season. What happened was that opponents pressed us much more and the players we had at the back (apart from Stones) couldn't handle it.

He needed cash to upgrade the defence and the GK. His biggest fault in that 2nd season was buying Funes Mori and not VVD.

Lukaku was one of those odd No9s you could bank on getting goals season in season out, yet somehow next to none of them ever seemed to be against the top teams. Strange record for such a quality striker.
That's not true. He scored a lot against the top 6. He obviously scored more against the rest of the league but that true of every striker. I remember him scoring 3 against Liverpool, and 2/3 against United and Arsenal. Scored against City a few times and scored against Chelsea in the cup. He was the perfect striker for us. The only issue was a missed a few gilt edged chances in big games e.g. the FA Cup semi final.

There was no change in the system form 1st to 2nd season. What happened was that opponents pressed us much more and the players we had at the back (apart from Stones) couldn't handle it.

He needed cash to upgrade the defence and the GK. His biggest fault in that 2nd season was buying Funes Mori and not VVD.
Not my recollection. I remember us having lots of possession in games but just passing side to side endlessly with no idea how to create chances and being extremely open at the back.

Status
Not open for further replies.