2022/23 Frank Lampard

Status
Not open for further replies.
There was no change in the system form 1st to 2nd season. What happened was that opponents pressed us much more and the players we had at the back (apart from Stones) couldn't handle it.

He needed cash to upgrade the defence and the GK. His biggest fault in that 2nd season was buying Funes Mori and not VVD.
Have a look at how many goals we conceded from inside the 18 yard area in Martinez second and third season. By his own admission, he didn't care how many goals we conceded as long as we scored more.

The thing is, he was too naive and tactically inept to realise that we didn't have the quality to play his way.

I think most of the problems revolve around not having a striker. Not scoring when we are on top puts pressure on the rest of the team and we don't have an outlet/threat on the counter. It basically means as soon as we concede we are pretty much guaranteed to lose.
Fully agree. If we had a Striker putting chances away then I think we would be much better.

I'd play Maupay and Rondon together at home if DCL isn't fit.

Trossard, Ings etc all scoring for teams around us.

Lukaku was one of those odd No9s you could bank on getting goals season in season out, yet somehow next to none of them ever seemed to be against the top teams. Strange record for such a quality striker.
To be fair he had a decent record against the top teams all things considered. He scored 14 goals for us against the top 6 in 4 seasons, which obviously isn't as good as his record against dross, but is pretty decent in it's own right considering our record at most of those teams. Calvert Lewin has 11 in 5/6 seasons as reference point.

Have a look at how many goals we conceded from inside the 18 yard area in Martinez second and third season. By his own admission, he didn't care how many goals we conceded as long as we scored more.

The thing is, he was too naive and tactically inept to realise that we didn't have the quality to play his way.
The very worst we did under Martinez would now represent a successful season. ?‍♂️

If I were in Lampard's shoes I'd pick the Wolves starting XI now and then tell people they have 6 weeks to train so well they cannot be ignored.
Begovic (Pickford late return??)
Patterson - Coady - Tarkowski - Mykolenko
Gana - Onana
Iwobi
Mills - Cannon - Gordon

There is no point in persisting with Maupay as a lone striker - we need wingers who can get crosses in. We wont be able to get anyone in on transfer until January so we have a week of playing the youf upfront.
If we don't Wolves will come to goodison expecting a win.
Too radical?

I’d play Cannon for sure.

Gana needs to sit.

I don’t know enough about Garners game to be sure about the formation I’d want. If dom is healthy maybe an old fashioned 442 with Onana and Garner, two wingers, and Cannon and Dom up top? Since we’re not Barca we might as well

Status
Not open for further replies.