Goodison Flops

Status
Not open for further replies.
Andy Van Der Meyde will always be the biggest flop for me. I soooooo thought he was gonna win us the league, or something...

Per Kroldrup must surely be no.1 of the Moyes era?

Van Der Meyde, crap as he was, did provide the assist for the goal that knocked Liverpool out of the FA cup, en route to the final. So at least he did something.

He was the sign of a downward spiral for me.

To be fair we had been in one already for a while.

I thought he did well when we first signed him along with Kevin Campbell. Campbell is always remembered for keeping us up that season and rightfully so, but Gemmill played a big part in it too.

The season after he was good. Linked up play well by giving the ball simple and was a key component of us demolishing teams by 4 and 5s at the start of the season. Then he got injured and never did anything for us again which is a shame.

Dont get me wrong I dont think he was brilliant or anything but he did a good job for us at the time. I always see people slating the likes of Phelan, Tiler and O'Kane as being bad for us too but I cant agree with them at all. They all did a decent job in a limited amount of time for us.

Per Kroldrup must surely be no.1 of the Moyes era?

Van Der Meyde, crap as he was, did provide the assist for the goal that knocked Liverpool out of the FA cup, en route to the final. So at least he did something.

I once watched Everton reserves v West Brom reserves at the Harriers stadium a few years ago. Even then, he looked mighty woeful and was given the run around by Darren Carter

I once watched Everton reserves v West Brom reserves at the Harriers stadium a few years ago. Even then, he looked mighty woeful and was given the run around by Darren Carter

VDM was woeful, no argument, but surely someone who played about 4 minutes of football before being sold has to go down as an even bigger flop?

Nothing will ever live up to the expectations and disappointment I had courtesy of Andy Van Der Meyde. Ever.

That reminds me of Li Tie. I saw him play a bit and was made up, I thought he was ace. And then he vanished into thin air.

Just about all of Smith's last ditch signings:

Ginola
Gazza
Linderoth

at least Carsley worked out for us.

On the subject of Ginola....WTF was Smith thinking with that one?! Didn't Smith leave about 2 weeks after signing Ginola. I remember a mate of mine ringing me to tell me that we'd signed Ginola, I thought it was a wind up until I saw it for myself.

to the list...
danny williamson
mitch ward
tony thomas
espen bardsen

disagree with gazza...he did ok for us for a short period
disagree with mike madar...he scored a few when he first came
Li Tie did well in his first season too as people have pointed out
Bilic, huge reputation, huge pay packet...and really, he wasn't much good
Speed- was truly excellent...maybe one day the truth will come out

Am glad noone has said Earl Barrett. I know he had lots of detractors, but he remains the best defensive full back we have had in the last 30 yrs

Never will forgive that prick. I cried buckets when he left. I was like 8 or something. What a bell.

If you mean someone whose purchase stirred the fans imagination and then hardly made any impact then I'd go with Van der Meyde.

Kroldrup also. (Oh I've pointed out many times on this forum that the Kroldrup affair was testimony to the genius of Moyes and not to his detriment)

Re: Scott Gemmil. Limited player of a bygone everton age. He wouldn't get in the squad much less the team today.

Alex Nyarko had the hopes of a generation for awhile. That went poorly.

The worst players are the ones that continue to get games put flop every time. Pistone was a massive flop albeit allowing for one season when he was solid.

Linderoth - the invisible man. Regularly flopped on the goodison park. As did his countryman Alexandersson.

Slaven Bilic
Alex Nyarko
Danny Williamson
Scott Gemmill
Tony Cottee
Idan Tal
Gazza
Ginola
Alec Cleland
John Spencer
Mo Johnston
John Oster
Richard Wright
Steve Simonson
Li Weifeng
Jesper Blomquist
Per Kroldrup
Norman Whiteside
Tony Thomas
Stuart Barlow
Brett Angell

don't think either whiteside or cottee can be considered flops

but your list reminds me of the utter sh1te we have wasted money on

don't think either whiteside or cottee can be considered flops

but your list reminds me of the utter sh1te we have wasted money on

I think we paid a decent fee for Whiteside, he was only 24 at the time but his career was already over due to his knees. Cottee we paid 2.2m for in the late '80's, making him the most expensive player in british history, he never did it for me. Just my opinion like

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back