Goodison - help or hindrance?

Status
Not open for further replies.
How does such nonsense persist after the lockdown Goodison form?? Leave it out mate.
Because the results of them lockdown games mean nothing, there was no home and away form, no such thing, you really think we would of won at Anfield?

These guys are professional footballers on thousands of pounds a week, if they can’t play in front of an audience then should they be in this profession. If they churn out the same cack every week then what to they expect.
They can play in front of an audience, theyjust dont wan to play in front of ours, why would they, DCL knew what he was doing pulling a sicky

I fear people are missing the point.

Our fans ARE a joke. Every other supporter base in the land with at least a passing interest thinks we are a joke. They think we're crap fans, and they're probably right.

It's alright people saying 'we need something to cheer about' but, really? Even when we were chasing Europe and stuff, Goodison and our online fan base could still be shockingly bad.

Sure, Goodison would be rocking for games against Man U or another one of the big boys. But, sat in 5th place and 0-0 vs (hypothetical example) Hull after 20 minutes, and people would be grumbling about Phil Neville, Leon Osman, or the old favourite of Moyes not playing 2 up top.

Like I say, players and fans up and down the country think we're self entitled, crap fans. Deny it all you want, 'Putin,' it's how we're seen by everybody else.

We spent the best part of a decade sneering and looking down our noses at other clubs, whilst we overachieved. Now we're under achieving and there's players and fans up and down the country rubbing their hands in glee. And how have we responded? After talk of Goodison being the 12th man before Leeds, it appears many have now thrown the towel in.
I've no doubt that some fans of other clubs think we're rubbish fans, but to say it's a universally held opinion is clearly just nonsense. We're just fans, same as fans of any other club, sometimes we create a great atmosphere and sometimes it's like a morgue, same as at all grounds up and down the country.

This stuff is getting a bit daft now, and fans are having a tough enough time dealing with the current situation without some people taking glee in blaming them for it.

I've no doubt that some fans of other clubs think we're rubbish fans, but to say it's a universally held opinion is clearly just nonsense. We're just fans, same as fans of any other club, sometimes we create a great atmosphere and sometimes it's like a morgue, same as at all grounds up and down the country.

This stuff is getting a bit daft now, and fans are having a tough enough time dealing with the current situation without some people taking glee in blaming them for it.

I'm not blaming anybody mate. Fans can only really make small differences. I don't feel our fans are making any small positive differences at the moment though. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm not stupid enough to think that if we all turn up at Goodison and raise the roof every week, then we'll suddenly turn into world beaters. So I'd be daft to say it's the fans fault that we're in this situation.

But right now, we need that small difference. One bleeding goal in our favour (even in a defeat) might be the difference between relegation or survival.

We're literally scrapping for everything now. Like I say, a last minute goal in our favour in a 2-1 defeat might be the difference. We simply HAVE to TRY and make what small difference we can now, and it's really infuriated me that people would rather point the finger than accept this small and simple reality.

I'm not blaming anybody mate. Fans can only really make small differences. I don't feel our fans are making any small positive differences at the moment though. Quite the opposite in fact.

I'm not stupid enough to think that if we all turn up at Goodison and raise the roof every week, then we'll suddenly turn into world beaters. So I'd be daft to say it's the fans fault that we're in this situation.

But right now, we need that small difference. One bleeding goal in our favour (even in a defeat) might be the difference between relegation or survival.

We're literally scrapping for everything now. Like I say, a last minute goal in our favour in a 2-1 defeat might be the difference. We simply HAVE to TRY and make what small difference we can now, and it's really infuriated me that people would rather point the finger than accept this small and simple reality.
That literally is blaming the fans though. You're saying it's not entirely the fans fault, but they could have saved us and didn't, so ultimately it is their fault. It's just a crap thing to do really.

As i've said a number of times, if all the people who keep saying this type of stuff just turned up at Goodison and sang and shouted and danced and made little cardboard signs saying 'please don't go down it will make me really sad' then the atmosphere wouldn't be an issue. The only explanation is that these people either don't go (and so have no business moaning at people who do) or they do go and don't practice what they preach.

That literally is blaming the fans though. You're saying it's not entirely the fans fault, but they could have saved us and didn't, so ultimately it is their fault. It's just a crap thing to do really.

As i've said a number of times, if all the people who keep saying this type of stuff just turned up at Goodison and sang and shouted and danced and made little cardboard signs saying 'please don't go down it will make me really sad' then the atmosphere wouldn't be an issue. The only explanation is that these people either don't go (and so have no business moaning at people who do) or they do go and don't practice what they preach.

Yeah, but it's not though.

So supporters make no difference then? There's moments in our history that have literally been attributed to the Goodison crowd.

It would seem though that our fans are not interested in making the best possible atmosphere.

It's a pathetic argument. A fervent Goodison can inspire performances, and intimidate opposition and officials. It might only be the difference in us getting one more point all season. Who knows? That point might keep us up. But a lot of our fans seem to think 'why should we?' Fair enough, I can't tell people how to act.

This is OUR club. Even if we go on an unprecedented run, and win the FA Cup followed by the title next year, only one or two of these players might still be here in 10 years time.

The fans need to remember that. Goodison NEEDS to be THAT ground where the fans make a difference now. If people really can't be arsed trying to make a difference then that's up to them, but it saddens me that people will point the finger before just trying to make a bleeding difference,

Oh, and try going to work with a bunch of impatient hecklers watching your every move. Works both ways.
Congrats on completely missing the point. Never said anything whatsoever about not getting behind the team. The point 'again' was that competence and effort are an expected bare minimum requirement from every player same as it is in every profession on the planet. You get paid to do a job that you are employed to do and are expected to do it without needing to have your hand held. Everyone has off days of course but if the off days become the norm and you hardly ever have a day when you are able to do your job properly then you are not meeting even the bare requirement of your employment.

You have to have an incentive to put an effort in and try and do a good job but so long as at least the effort is there you will be rewarded. Ditto on a football field. You are being paid an extortionate amount of money and are expected to be able to do your job competently and put an effort in at the bare minimum. That is all any supporter wants to see regardless of the result. If the effort is there they will be behind them. Too often at Goodison the supporters are criticised for not fully being behind a group of players who practically every single game not only are incompetent but don't even put the effort in. The supporters try to gee them up but that most often doesn't work either and then other than being able to run on the pitch themselves, they find the whole situation frustrating and feel unable to do anything about it and it just goes downhill from there.

So in a nutshell, it works both ways. The supporters should and definitely do get behind their team but the players must have competence and effort at a bare minimum, something that has been missing practically the entire season with this group of players and for some of them several seasons.

Status
Not open for further replies.