Goodison Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
As a kid in the 80's all I remember was an empty Park End other than the mancs and the [Poor language removed]. When did it become an all away end?

I was watching the highlights last night and at the end, the interview of RM which was on the pitch had me looking at GP.

I thought to myself the memories I have of this place going back to 60/61 which was when I started are just out of this world. I can recall games where the attendance was massive of course this was before all the crummy must sit down biz. But bieng in crowds of 50/60 thou or more and chanting Everton repeatedly still lingers in my mind. Funnily I never heard anything like that in the highlights last night, what the heck has happened with the fans.

Anyway back to GP, The Old Lady, I was struck that I do not want to see our club move from this age old location. The fans are so close to the pitch which makes for an incredible atmosphere unlike many grounds when fans are bit away from the action and roofs more open. I felt that ways must be found to modernise GP but keep the character of home. When I see pictures or vids of GP it makes me swell up with pride, the ground to me is awesome. I understand that mangers of the other clubs never quite keen to come because of the very nature of GP which I have related to above.

We have to stay, no two ways about it rather than some sterile place at WHP etc. Why not put another layer on the Park End, Take the Bullens Road roof off and create another layer and reroof without posts.
I am sure there are no such things as problems only solutions.

I do not know how other folk feel about GP, but this is it for me. STAY!

It has always been beautiful and there is no finer name in the whole world than 'Goodison Park'..........

think anyone wouldlove to stay. everyone has memories of standing in the terraces for their first time. Hell my first memory was walking through Stanley park with everyone else going to the ground, its special, from the first to the last.

I don't need a fancy new stadium for everton, but unrestricted views are a must. At what point then do you rebuild the stands and then still call it home? Same location, but your seat is no longer your own.

Probably thinking too much into it tbh, but the bullens road wouldn't be the bullens road for example if it was re built from scratch and perhaps that would be worse than just moving altogether and leaving the past in the past.

think anyone wouldlove to stay. everyone has memories of standing in the terraces for their first time. Hell my first memory was walking through Stanley park with everyone else going to the ground, its special, from the first to the last.

I don't need a fancy new stadium for everton, but unrestricted views are a must. At what point then do you rebuild the stands and then still call it home? Same location, but your seat is no longer your own.

Probably thinking too much into it tbh, but the bullens road wouldn't be the bullens road for example if it was re built from scratch and perhaps that would be worse than just moving altogether and leaving the past in the past.

Mate look at the designs that are out there. Especially Tom Hughes work. We can easily have everything we need without losing what is great about Goodison.

The thought just struck me - is there any preservation order on the Bullens Road stand given historic connection with Archibald Leitch??

The thought just struck me - is there any preservation order on the Bullens Road stand given historic connection with Archibald Leitch??

I might be wrong but I don't think so - no. The Bullens Road and Street end are more minimal examples of Leitch's work. If the old Goodison Road stand was still about, then I'm guessing it might have become a listed building like the stand at Fulham is.

(please note I am guessing here)

I might be wrong but I don't think so - no. The Bullens Road and Street end are more minimal examples of Leitch's work. If the old Goodison Road stand was still about, then I'm guessing it might have become a listed building like the stand at Fulham is.

(please note I am guessing here)
The Leith stand is a listed building though not sure what grade it is

As a kid in the 80's all I remember was an empty Park End other than the mancs and the [Poor language removed]. When did it become an all away end?
1979-80 I think,they bricked the rear up and segregated home and away fans with a wall,then in the eighties it just was for away fans including the seating apart from a couple of "special" occasions,QPR when we won the league an Bayern Munich when it was given to our fans iirc.

There are too many 'ifs' left on a prospective deal with the American group but..., if this deal goes in remember that these are baseball guys.

Baseball guys tend to love old stadiums that drip with history and pine for the loss of the Ebbets Fields and Comiskey Parks and the Tiger Stadiums of their youth. Those are not for sale any more. Those are gone.

I've been to Goodison, and the same thing that happens to me when I go to Wrigley or Fenway happens at Goodison, only perhaps greater. You can almost taste the history of the place. The old lady makes an indelible impression, even if you haven't had it as a large part of your whole life.
The current obstacles are only money and politics, after all.

I've only been coming to Goodison for a few years but I've totally fallen in love with the place. My son and I still get goosebumps when we set eyes on the stadium on our way to Stanley Park. There's no doubt that improvements are badly required, we've endured some awful views on some visits, but the place just oozes history and I'd personally prefer to stay put and do whatever it takes to upgrade the stadium and get rid of as many obstructions as possible. There's nothing worse than enduring the drive down from Glasgow only to find that your view is badly obstructed.

We're coming down again this Saturday and have seats in the Lower Gwladys for the first time. No mention of any obstructions so fingers crossed we have a good, clear view and see another good win for the Toffees.

Status
Not open for further replies.