Goodison Park

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love Goodison but we are falling behind due to the stadium facilities.

I have been in the corporate section a few times and we are well behind other clubs.
The money generated in this area can dwarf the match day ticket intake.

Sad but a reflection of the modern game.

We need to move.

I love Goodison but we are falling behind due to the stadium facilities.

I have been in the corporate section a few times and we are well behind other clubs.
The money generated in this area can dwarf the match day ticket intake.
True

Sad but a reflection of the modern game.

True

We need to move.

False.

The plans have been available for years to show how we could adapt Goodison to have a mix of corporate facilities and a classic stadium.

True

True

False.

The plans have been available for years to show how we could adapt Goodison to have a mix of corporate facilities and a classic stadium.

Well we need to move with the times at the very least. Goodison needs a massive overhaul which if money is no object, would be my preference.

think anyone wouldlove to stay. everyone has memories of standing in the terraces for their first time. Hell my first memory was walking through Stanley park with everyone else going to the ground, its special, from the first to the last.

I don't need a fancy new stadium for everton, but unrestricted views are a must. At what point then do you rebuild the stands and then still call it home? Same location, but your seat is no longer your own.

Probably thinking too much into it tbh, but the bullens road wouldn't be the bullens road for example if it was re built from scratch and perhaps that would be worse than just moving altogether and leaving the past in the past.
the ground has changed over the years so it would be no different if re developed again. give me an improved GP over a new stadium any day.

I've only been coming to Goodison for a few years but I've totally fallen in love with the place. My son and I still get goosebumps when we set eyes on the stadium on our way to Stanley Park. There's no doubt that improvements are badly required, we've endured some awful views on some visits, but the place just oozes history and I'd personally prefer to stay put and do whatever it takes to upgrade the stadium and get rid of as many obstructions as possible. There's nothing worse than enduring the drive down from Glasgow only to find that your view is badly obstructed.

We're coming down again this Saturday and have seats in the Lower Gwladys for the first time. No mention of any obstructions so fingers crossed we have a good, clear view and see another good win for the Toffees.

....very interesting perspective from you and @mezzrow. I suppose those of us who have grown up with the place take it for granted a little. I have been of the view that a new ground is the way to go but I'm increasingly doing a u-turn. You describe Goodison as special and steeped in history and perhaps we should exploit what other grounds don't have.

....very interesting perspective from you and @mezzrow. I suppose those of us who have grown up with the place take it for granted a little. I have been of the view that a new ground is the way to go but I'm increasingly doing a u-turn. You describe Goodison as special and steeped in history and perhaps we should exploit what other grounds don't have.
Consider what has been done with Fenway Park in Boston and is currently being done at Wrigley Field in Chicago. After years of bargaining and buying up surrounding territory, in residential neighborhoods, in very highly regulated cities, both have managed to redevelop in place and preserve two of the most cherished places in the game. They have improved the "gameday experience" and have created additional revenue streams for themselves as a club and as investors in the club, not to take into account the increased value of the property they now possess.

Goodison is one of the most cherished places in the game, for all its familiarity and all its faults, and it is a treasure you walk away from with a very heavy opportunity cost. What is history worth? What is Everton without its history? If Evertonians were to walk out on higher ticket prices due to changes in the market because tickets get more valuable due to upgrades at the facilities (ahem...) then you'd do exactly what is required to keep this kind of transformation from happening, for example.

The whole thing will be determined by what the new bosses want and of course, by events. If you want to keep Goodison, make it as easy as you can while protecting the things you find most important. Easier said than done, isn't it?

With Highbury, main road and countless others gone, Upton park, White heart lane and Stamford bridge all about to be leveled, and OT, St James's and Anfield all unrecognizable from their earlier forms, Goodison and Villa Park are the only Classic top tier grounds left. If Villa get relegated, it'll be Goodison on her own. To tear the old lady down and build an Identikit box a mile away would be a crime in my opinion.

The issue with Goodison park perversely is that it is a victim of its own success, it was the first and the best football ground in the country for ages and as time wore on its shown its no longer fit for purpose as a modern sports arena. Last time I was there I couldn't see the ball when in the air due to the sight lines.

I would prefer to re build the old lady but either way a new ground is needed and achievable an example is Espanyol's stadium which they built for 75M euros on a similar footprint to Goodison park and it was a great place to watch a game.

The game it self was [Poor language removed] if your wondering

It can be done to rebuild Goodison if there is a genuine will or a new stadium is needed but standing still is unacceptable and is a Danger to the club in my view long term.

I'd leave the Leitch stands untouched as the legacy of our great past, although changing the roofing could mean the removal of the roof supports. They could be the cheaper sections of the ground to get into. I'd expand the Park End, with Exec Boxes (though I hate them), and for the Main Stand I'd just re-roof it so as to remove the need for the three supports there. Job done. A 45-50,000 capacity perhaps. A mixture of the old and the new. Unique. And at a relatively small cost, certainly when compared to a new ground or a complete revamp.

If our new American overlords swoop in with some cash they may be willing to do a re-develop. American iconic stadiums have done this over the years rather than build new stadiums (Fenway Park, Wrigley Field, Lambeau Field, and Soldier Field have ALL gone this route.) Baseball was meant to be played at Fenway or Wrigley, and footie is meant to be played at Goodison Park.

It might actually cost more money to modernize GP, for I'm squarely of the mindset I'd rather have a remodeled GP than a brand spanking new stadium without the old charm.

Status
Not open for further replies.