Gordon Lee

Status
Not open for further replies.
We've had worse since tho - the nightmare of his reign was what the shoite did more than what he did wrong!

Yip.

The biggest reason the 70s appear so desolate for us is because we went seven long years, between 1971 and 1978 without once beating the buggers.

In fact, I don't believe we even scored a goal during that period..maybe one or two at the most :mad:

Yip.

The biggest reason the 70s appear so desolate for us is because we went seven long years, between 1971 and 1978 without once beating the buggers.

In fact, I don't believe we even scored a goal during that period..maybe one or two at the most :mad:
Martin Dobson got our first in a. 1-3 defest since Dave Johnson in 71 a year or two before Andy King's winner - a very grim run of results (lots of 0-0's tho I think)

Pretty much every player who played for him hold him in great esteem.

But , in hindsight, he had a decent side, unfortunately, Clough chipped up, and Liverpool bought players like Souness, Hanson and KK.
KK?, Otherwise known as KD I think

Year: Pts Place
1969–70 66 1
1970–71 37 14
1971–72 36 15
1972–73 37 17
1973–74 44 7
1974–75 50 4
1975–76 42 11
1976–77 42 9
1977–78 51 3
1978–79 51 4

That's not bad.
It is bad in the sense that anybody and I mean anybody that saw the 69/70 side win the league, taking into account the age of the squad, would have expected them to dominate British football for at least 5 years.

Built some decent teams for us and came close to winning the league. I never really forgave him for getting shut of McKenzie. Was a little bit lucky at the beginning because it was Binghams side which took us to the final. But overall had some good times following his sides and he seemed a decent bloke, which is better than some we've had since.

I went to my first match in 1975 (FA Cup v Fulham. We lost) I went a few times after that but the Gordon Lee era was probably the first time I went to watch Everton on a regular basis. His teams were my first heroes and those players are still closest to my heart. Bob Latchford, Martin Dobson, Dave Thomas, Andy King, Mick Lyons. So, by default I also love Gordon Lee.

If anybody of my vintage hasn't read Brian Viner's book "Looking For The Toffees:In Search Of The Heroes Of Everton" may I recommend it. Warm, nostalgic look at the players and manager of the 78-79 season.

We had some decent teams under him , never had a good keeper to back them up with unfortunately.
Met him a few times coming back from games always time for a few words for the fans decent manager and bloke

allegedly a racist who told an Everton supporters forum that no black players would ever be signed under his tenure?

mind you more reflective of the times really.

A few random memories,Gordons sheepie,Davie Jones late winner in his first game v Swindon,manager of the month and giving miniature bottles to the fans,Goodison Derby 1978(Kingy RIP),icy/snowy pitches,Wolves away,"My "pliers"are risking their loives out there",Maine Road,Elland Road,heartbreak.:)

A few random memories,Gordons sheepie,Davie Jones late winner in his first game v Swindon,manager of the month and giving miniature bottles to the fans,Goodison Derby 1978(Kingy RIP),icy/snowy pitches,Wolves away,"My "pliers"are risking their loives out there",Maine Road,Elland Road,heartbreak.:)
Do you remember the MP Bessie Braddock, she used to sit in the Main Stand, Christ she was an Evertonian, and she used to scare the sh..out of me, had a face like something out of Halloween .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back