Transfer Rumour Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quick introduction. I'm a Swansea fan myself, but my uncle is a long-time Everton fan who goes up to Goodison a couple of times a season, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Everton because of that.

I've been monitoring the Gylfi Sigurdsson story for a while now after hearing that the player was interested in a move (although nothing public yet). What I will say is that, in a market where Keane and Pickford are bought for fees worth up to £30m, we don't want to let go of our most valuable asset and one of the best number 10s in the league for peanuts. Gylfi covers a hell of a lot of distance (6th in the league last season), is far and away the best set-piece taker in the league, has three years remaining on his contract and qualifies as home-grown. You could argue that some of his creative stats aren't as great Barkley's, but the stats are skewed by, A) The fact he was playing out of his favoured position for most of the season (on the wing, as a false nine) and, B) The sheer amount of tracking he did negatively impacted on his decision-making in the final third. I don't think you'll pay £50m for him, but it needs to be a fair bit more than the £32m previously offered. Anything upwards of £40m and I think our board will be quite happy to accept it.

Either way, good luck for the coming season. I think Koeman is building a good project and it would be nice to see Everton challenge for the Champions League places.

You seem a lot more respectful than our last Swansea fan on here; mr @BrianSwan was a grade A bell

Good post and good luck

Quick introduction. I'm a Swansea fan myself, but my uncle is a long-time Everton fan who goes up to Goodison a couple of times a season, so I've always had a bit of a soft spot for Everton because of that.

I've been monitoring the Gylfi Sigurdsson story for a while now after hearing that the player was interested in a move (although nothing public yet). What I will say is that, in a market where Keane and Pickford are bought for fees worth up to £30m, we don't want to let go of our most valuable asset and one of the best number 10s in the league for peanuts. Gylfi covers a hell of a lot of distance (6th in the league last season), is far and away the best set-piece taker in the league, has three years remaining on his contract and qualifies as home-grown. You could argue that some of his creative stats aren't as great Barkley's, but the stats are skewed by, A) The fact he was playing out of his favoured position for most of the season (on the wing, as a false nine) and, B) The sheer amount of tracking he did negatively impacted on his decision-making in the final third. I don't think you'll pay £50m for him, but it needs to be a fair bit more than the £32m previously offered. Anything upwards of £40m and I think our board will be quite happy to accept it.

Either way, good luck for the coming season. I think Koeman is building a good project and it would be nice to see Everton challenge for the Champions League places.

welcome. 30M is worth it there (funny how times changed. he was pretty much the same player a few years back and went for 6M? to spurs and 6M? back to you, just older now)

I believe anything over 35M and you robbed us blind, even though I think he's excellent. However crazy money is going around and I can understand putting a huge pricetag on him just in case someone bites. The RS, to my annoyment often do this with their players that want to leave and it works.

Who would you like in part exchange? You can have any of:
Niasse
Robles
McCarthy
Funes Mori
Calvert Lewin for a year.

Welcome mate, thanks for all your insights. I agree with you 100%.

Have to say I empathise with looseing your most valuable player, we have been that solider far to often during the years ourselves.

Ha come to think of it, we sold our most valuable player a couple of days ago.

Thanks for the info mate. I think people underestimate Gylfi as well. Your owner is only trying to do what is best and get the best possible price.

Welcome mate, thanks for all your insights. I agree with you 100%.

Have to say I empathise with looseing your most valuable player, we have been that solider far to often during the years ourselves.

Ha come to think of it, we sold our most valuable asset a couple of days ago.

I know the memories seem like it was yesterday but actually Jo left 7 years ago.

I watched this guy regularly at Reading and was 10x the player ive ever seen before wearing a Reading shirt. (Sorry for having split loyalties, but i have lived down south since i was 6). so anyway in my view this player is absolute quality, but 50m, go take a walk. There has to be something in the swap deals mentioned above, McCarthy seems the obvious choice

colt-45-malt-liquor-beer-online-1382593044.jpg

+

JS81656145.jpg

=

billy-dee-williams_t580.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back