Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
Everyone keeps saying he needs to play that number 10 role to see the best of him, could be wrong like, but hasn't he already played the number 10 role for us a few times?

He played there for 20 minutes yesterday. He got into that position where he should have scored.

Other than that it's been bits and pieces. He's never played there with wingers either side other than when Rooney went off vs B'Mouth.

Think he played there vs Atalanta, but with Rooney and Vlasic - both of whom drifted inside.

If we have to pick one player to play that role, which we do, I'd rather it be him - given the players we currently have available.

I do believe he had mate, it's just that nobody noticed

He started there vs Atalanta.

Other than that he's mainly been played wide, where most of his work has been defending. Odd 10-15 minutes of games where he's gone to a central role.

Probably his best performance for us so far was when he came on against Lyon at home and played as a central midfielder.

I do believe he had mate, it's just that nobody noticed

...Davies started there yesterday, then Unsworth made the obvious switch with Sigurdsson. He still disappointed, though, and it’s looking like those who suggested we were paying over the odds were right. He does take up great positions in the box but when that one chance fell to him yesterday he failed to take it.

he was awful yesterday, people are trying to paint a different picture and roll out the excuses to suit their agendas, but he was still crap and still refused to get involved, that's not to say he can't still be a good player for us, but he needs to show some bottle and start from there, right now he is tom cleverly with a decent set piece delivery

I haven't got an agenda.

He hasn't been good enough.

But I thought yesterday he did okay. Didn't set the world alight, but an improvement. He should have scored but that chance came about because he was playing as a second-striker/10, which is his best role.

For that to work he needs to be playing behind a striker or striker(s) who run in behind and split the defence. Not behind Rooney.

Well, it was an improvement on what went before, I think.

Nobody was brilliant.

Tom Davies has been abysmal this season. So has Keane since his form dropped off a cliff in late August.

So has Rooney.

Only players with any credit so far for me are DCL and Niasse.

But I think Gylfi should feature in our strongest XI. Playing in his correct role, with players around him who actually make forward runs...
No argument about the others, but that doesn't make his performances any better.

There is genuinely some dispute as to what his best position is, I know you think it's central but there are plenty of Swansea fans who'll tell you he was most effective on the left for them. I know a ST holder at Spurs who says he was better out wide for them, drifting into space rather than being a focal point in the middle. Whether he's in his most effective position at the moment or not, it isn't one that's alien to him, and he should be producing much much more than he is. He just doesn't get involved anywhere near enough at the moment, Davies was shocking yesterday but he was at least showing endeavour and willingness to try things, Sigurdsson just seems to want to hide.

Well, it was an improvement on what went before, I think.

Nobody was brilliant.

Tom Davies has been abysmal this season. So has Keane since his form dropped off a cliff in late August.

So has Rooney.

Only players with any credit so far for me are DCL and Niasse.

But I think Gylfi should feature in our strongest XI. Playing in his correct role, with players around him who actually make forward runs...

Niasse never stops running, DCL also makes plenty of runs forward. Lookman came on and put a ball through for Niasse within minutes that he ended up scoring from. There's no excuse for Sigurdsson's lack of attempts to create anything from open play.

I haven't got an agenda.

He hasn't been good enough.

But I thought yesterday he did okay. Didn't set the world alight, but an improvement. He should have scored but that chance came about because he was playing as a second-striker/10, which is his best role.

For that to work he needs to be playing behind a striker or striker(s) who run in behind and split the defence. Not behind Rooney.
All true, but even when out of position I want to see a bit more from him, just in terms of desire to be on the ball etc, hopefully they all take a lift from yesterday, we finally realise the benefit of pace, and maybe even get Ross back

Niasse never stops running, DCL also makes plenty of runs forward. Lookman came on and put a ball through for Niasse within minutes that he ended up scoring from. There's no excuse for Sigurdsson's lack of attempts to create anything from open play.

Good point that mate, all game Niasse was running the line, running into space, making forward runs, and I'm struggling to remember if Sigurdsson actually played any decent through balls.

If we were looking for someone with "world class" set piece and free kicks, should have gone for Calhanoglu for €20 million.

Was adamant at the time he was never someone we needed, still stand with it.

Didn’t he take the corner for Calvert Lewins goal yesterday? If so he got an assist.

Should have scored when he was 1:1 with the keeper, but looked better in that position that Rooney or Klaassen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back