2017/18 Gylfi Sigurdsson

Status
Not open for further replies.
He made one run behind yesterday that I thought 'that's what we have been waiting for.' Unfortunately he is never a left winger and his lack of pace watching their right back fly past him reminded me of mark pembridge getting sprinted past by a linesman!! Needs to play in the yep n position or not at all in my opinion.

Probably just because he is being played out of position, but apart from the odd decent dead ball and the European goal, I haven't seen much from him to justify the price tag yet.

That said, the clear problem is that he is playing on the pitch with Rooney and Klassen and all 3 want to play a similar role.

He just doesn't suit the role in the team Koeman has given him. Should be played centrally.

I would at the very least like to at least see it happen

Seems a bit silly to slosh so much on a player without first having a clue of how to use him

Back in the day, Spurs supporters used to chant "Gareth Bale - He Plays on the Left!" because Ol' Wobblychops didn't have a clue how to use him (and apparently even tried to sell him to Forest).

I'd be amused if we did something similar, though 'Sigurdsson' is more of a mouthful.

How is it possible that a player who cost us nearly 50 million euros coming of the back of a great year, looks completely lost?
It,s shocking because the fella is a player no doubt.

I keep banging on about this but he is playing at the same level he was for Swansea.

The amount of touches are actually up on his Swansea average.

The only difference is we haven't scored off one of his set pieces yet.

Truth is and I sure he would admit it his set pieces have left a lot to be to be desired. He just seems still out of step being here. Maybe trying to hard to prove himself after such a proactive move.

I keep banging on about this but he is playing at the same level he was for Swansea.

The amount of touches are actually up on his Swansea average.

The only difference is we haven't scored off one of his set pieces yet.

...that's an interesting stat but I'm not convinced it represents that 'he's playing at the same level'. It probably reflects more that he's not a Barkley or Rooney type in demanding the ball off defenders and wanting to make the play. The stat is incredible given his goal return and assists as it shows he's most effective and efficient playing close to an effective striker.

We've talked lots elsewhere about blend and forming effective partnerships. I think RK targeted Sigurdsson after watching Lukaku last season, the trouble is we no longer have that striker.

"Needs to play in his correct position."

How many times have we said this over the last ten years about players? Seems like we're always shunting players in to positions that they aren't fully comfortable with.

Sigi, Klaassen, Rooney, DCL, Barkley, Anichebe, Osman, Cleverly, Kone, Holgate, Lescott, Stones have all played in positions that really don't maximise their skill sets. I'm sure there's more.

What is it about our club we decide to do this all the time? Or is this just modern futbol?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back