Hibbo return perfect timing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bainsey

Player Valuation: £20m
Certainly is would bring him back in at right back and put Neville into midfield.

The 2006/07 campaign can be summed up in one word for Tony Hibbert - 'frustrating'.

The right-back has started just five games for the Blues this term thanks to injuries. Having started the season suffering from a rare tropical parasite picked up during an exotic summer holiday, Hibbert sustained a serious groin injury in the defeat at Middlesbrough in November.

He finally returned to fitness in January, only for a knee problem picked up in training to rule him out once again.

The shortage of reserve matches has not helped Hibbert's cause. But with a little over a week before Everton take on Arsenal at Goodison, Hibbert is closing in on a return to action once again.

He opted to miss the squad's break to New York this week in order to figure in the reserves' draw against Blackburn at the Halton Stadium on Tuesday.

It is a decision he is confident will benefit him ahead of the clash with the Gunners.

Hibbert told evertonTV: "I asked to play in the reserve game before I knew we were going away. I needed a game - the Liverpool (reserve) game got called off but I need as many games as I can now and hopefully I can play a couple more for the first team.

"The pitch was heavy for the reserves and I started tiring towards the end which is how I knew it would be, but at least I got the full 90 minutes and I am made up with it.

"I have got a game in now though and hopefully I can keep pushing on."

Indeed, Hibbert believes his availability could be perfectly timed following the news Tim Cahill is likely to miss the rest of the season with a broken foot. His return to action would allow skipper Phil Neville to revert to his favoured midfield position - allowing David Moyes to plug the gap left by Cahill's absence.

The defender explains: "For me to get back into the team and start playing football will be good. Tim getting injured is a bad blow for us.

Now I am back we may have more options for different formations and to play people differently so I think it will help."

we will need nevilles physical stature in midfield to compensate for losing cahills tenacity.

i wonder if moyes will continue faith in naysmith for le-arse game, or could it be stubbs in and lescott to LB.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back