Historical information

Status
Not open for further replies.

BedfordSaint

Player Valuation: Free Transfer
Hello guys and girls... I'm new here, so be gentle!

What I want to know is this - does anyone out there remember going to Goodison and seeing a team play in Man Utd colours, but not being Man Utd?

I remember going to the game and it being in the old days before sponsored shirts could be shown on the BBC and the visitors had shown up with a shirt that had sponsorship on it. They didn't have a change available, so someone had to leg it down the East Lancs to Old Trafford and borrow their kit.

SO... were you in the area? Do you have any information about this?
Because its been bugging me for years...

Cheers BedfordSaint.

Hello guys and girls... I'm new here, so be gentle!

What I want to know is this - does anyone out there remember going to Goodison and seeing a team play in Man Utd colours, but not being Man Utd?

I remember going to the game and it being in the old days before sponsored shirts could be shown on the BBC and the visitors had shown up with a shirt that had sponsorship on it. They didn't have a change available, so someone had to leg it down the East Lancs to Old Trafford and borrow their kit.

SO... were you in the area? Do you have any information about this?
Because its been bugging me for years...

Cheers BedfordSaint.

Wrexham in an FA Cup tie back in the 80's played in a strip similar to Uniteds, is that of any help, when was it, give uis more clues.

Welcome to the forum mate

Couldn't help you Bedford but wanted to welcome you to the forum just the same. Lots of knowledgeable old timers on here, Monty being one of 'em so you're bound to get an answer.

Tough question. Must have been the 80s if it was sponsored. Was it just their top?

I wonder why they didn't just put masking tape over it? Or get Tranmere's or Liverpool's top, or even Duuny's Triangle XI?

I have a vague (even more vague) memory of watching the game on Match of the Day that night and Motty saying something like Liverpool were using their "unsponsored" kit, so were Man City and everyone else they tried, and Man U were the nearest available.

Not sure if it was just the shirts, or the whole kit... I thought it was the whole kit, but no reason for that, I guess.
Blimey this middle age lark is playing havoc with my mind... ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back