Howard

Status
Not open for further replies.
its not the first time we've conceded a goal of this type,the problem is that howard lets his defence drop to deep, that means to many bodies in and around the six yard box if he makes the defence hold a high line anything played beyond them toward goal can be dealt with much easier simply because there are less bodies between him and the ball.

When the ball hangs in the air that long your GK has to take charge and deal with it... Howard didn't even go for it. Completely his fault IMO.

He has been poor this season but still has made some top saves at times to keep us in games. In an ideal world where we had cash available yes a Butland or simlar to really challange would be great. As money is tight there are 2/3 players needed before another GK.

Just watched the game again and although I do blame Howard, Heitinga just watches it and is literally stood there in front of Howard watching Basson head it. No challenge, nothing. Poor from Jonny

Worst of all was the timing of being a puss; when you've got that little time left and you're only up a goal and you need those points, you better well come out and kill a motha' to get that ball. He didn't...that's bad team play if you ask me. He needs to man up, end of story.

Just watched the game again and although I do blame Howard, Heitinga just watches it and is literally stood there in front of Howard watching Basson head it. No challenge, nothing. Poor from Jonny

Jonny has been this way for a long time I really have never been a big fan. Howard has had a difficult season this year and might be on the downhill. We need more clean sheets and we have to solidify back to front. I feel with Gibson back we will be back to are old selves a la Carsley. Our back four needs protection it's coming.

It's not just this year, though. We were having this exact same conversation this time last year. It's coming up to a year and half before he was last in good form.

How long before it's actually decline rather than bad form?

And Gibson does bugger all about set pieces. He'd give the other guys less chances but if the only way we keep clean sheets is by not letting them ever get near our final third, we have big problems.

It's not just this year, though. We were having this exact same conversation this time last year. It's coming up to a year and half before he was last in good form.

It's come up almost every year really (the failure to command crosses). I don't understand it...he's built like a brick sh*thouse and is usually as big or bigger than anyone else on the pitch, so he needs to use that. Add to that all the protection the keepers get these days, there's not much excuse for him to be so lightweight in his domain.

I have always wondered why he has reaction problems over 15 yards away. I know it sounds crazy but he may be experiencing ocular problems and it's becoming worse as time progresses.

You have a go at me whenever I have a go at Howard, hence the 'excuses'.

And yes, I've given Heitinga a go in the Heitinga thread, wanting Duffy to come in too. But this is the Howard thread...

I have a go at you Dan because you seem insistent that I'm protesting that Howard is great right now. I do have eyeballs. I don't rate him as poorly as some others, no. But he is off form, that is very apparent right now. I hope Chris Woods is doing something about it and working with him. It's the same guy that he sees in a national team uniform and he's leaps and bounds better there, so theoretically there's gotta be some training that works unless he has lost complete and utter faith in his back line. I don't think they've been that awful, and Howard is causing some of his own problems though, so his problems to fix.

I hope he does so that we can worry about something else other than how our defense is failing on multiple levels, and we are playing Arsenal this week.

Also - I believe we are hosting the Philadelphia Union GK (McMath?) for training again with Woods and Howard/Mucha. If so, perhaps we can spend double time working on set pieces, crosses and positioning since we are also training someone. Could be good to clear Howard's head.

It's disappointing to see Timmy perform so well for the United States (I'm a US supporter) but make these sorts of mistakes with Everton. He has been nothing short of rock solid for the States, we would've lost against Russia had he not made a couple of huge saves.

It's come up almost every year really (the failure to command crosses). I don't understand it...he's built like a brick sh*thouse and is usually as big or bigger than anyone else on the pitch, so he needs to use that. Add to that all the protection the keepers get these days, there's not much excuse for him to be so lightweight in his domain.

This is the area where he is consistently poor with us and his National Team, so it's a weakness. Some people pick on his positioning and shot stopping, but I've seen him be excellent with the US in those areas, so I don't believe those are weaknesses - the reason I rate him higher than some.

But I think it's fair to say he's strung together a few months of head scratching form now. I don't think it's 1.5 years like Artetafan, but I do think he's been on several months. So I'm worried and hope he turns things around. At some point theoretically that is what Mucha is for - Moyes has to risk playing him, right? I don't think Arsenal is the right time myself, but I'm worried.

But the crosses - consistently poor across all teams (hell, even the MetroStars). Everyone has to have a weak area, that's Howard's. Combine that with CBs that suck at heading the ball (Heitinga), well, you get yesterday.

It's disappointing to see Timmy perform so well for the United States (I'm a US supporter) but make these sorts of mistakes with Everton. He has been nothing short of rock solid for the States, we would've lost against Russia had he not made a couple of huge saves.

Right? I was hoping he would carry that form back, but nope. And good lord, he had Clarence Goodson back there. Even Heitinga at his worst is not as crappy as Clarence Goodson (bambi on skates). Maybe that's the issue? He knows his back line for the US is worse so he's more emphatic in his play and with Everton he expects his CBs to do more so he's less vocal??????? It's like Jekyll and Hyde the performances this year have been so different.

I have a go at you Dan because you seem insistent that I'm protesting that Howard is great right now. I do have eyeballs. I don't rate him as poorly as some others, no. But he is off form, that is very apparent right now. I hope Chris Woods is doing something about it and working with him. It's the same guy that he sees in a national team uniform and he's leaps and bounds better there, so theoretically there's gotta be some training that works unless he has lost complete and utter faith in his back line. I don't think they've been that awful, and Howard is causing some of his own problems though, so his problems to fix.

I hope he does so that we can worry about something else other than how our defense is failing on multiple levels, and we are playing Arsenal this week.

Also - I believe we are hosting the Philadelphia Union GK (McMath?) for training again with Woods and Howard/Mucha. If so, perhaps we can spend double time working on set pieces, crosses and positioning since we are also training someone. Could be good to clear Howard's head.

Thought he went back home to phily? says so on his twitter, unless he's coming back?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back