Injuries

Status
Not open for further replies.

Saint Domingo

Player Valuation: £80m
Every club has them. There's some when viewed in isolated incident that you cannot prevent against either. Is it just me or do Everton seem to get a lot of them? Not just your infamous 'soft tissue' ones either, but serious long term ones to key players?

Just this season we've seen Besic, Bolasie and Coleman go down to season ending injuries (all three face a fight to ever return to the same level). Funes Mori has also suffered ligament damage whilst McCarthy has missed most of the season. Now Walsh has broken his foot for the youth team.

Kone when he was brought in did his knee ligament straight away. Pennington missed the majority of last season.

Going back even further: Arteta Yakubu Jagielka all did ACLs, Anichebe did his medial ligaments and broke his leg, Barkley has fractured his leg, Cahill did his metatarsal numerous times. Vaughan splintered his leg.

Every club has the odd one player out through a horrific injury, but we seem to have a few a season, and they always seem to be key first team squad players. What's the reason? Poor medical programme? We buy cheap so get more injury prone players? We lunge into stupid tackles? We don't lunge into stupid tackles and therefore end up on the receiving end of them?

Chelsea and Leicester last season stayed remarkably injury free. Spurs have had a good run ever since Pochettino came in. Most teams have a few absentees with various ailments but I'm struggling to think of a team that loses so many key players to horrible injury year on year. It has more of an impact on our season that we give it credit for at times.

Seems to be bad luck more than anything, just like anything else associated with us.

If they were breaking down on the training pitch then i would see it as a much deeper lying problem. Always remember Distin had only missed like 3 games in 8 years before he signed for us and within a few months got injured was out for 3 months.

So you might be on to something there.

Every club has them. There's some when viewed in isolated incident that you cannot prevent against either. Is it just me or do Everton seem to get a lot of them? Not just your infamous 'soft tissue' ones either, but serious long term ones to key players?

Just this season we've seen Besic, Bolasie and Coleman go down to season ending injuries (all three face a fight to ever return to the same level). Funes Mori has also suffered ligament damage whilst McCarthy has missed most of the season. Now Walsh has broken his foot for the youth team.

Kone when he was brought in did his knee ligament straight away. Pennington missed the majority of last season.

Going back even further: Arteta Yakubu Jagielka all did ACLs, Anichebe did his medial ligaments and broke his leg, Barkley has fractured his leg, Cahill did his metatarsal numerous times. Vaughan splintered his leg.

Every club has the odd one player out through a horrific injury, but we seem to have a few a season, and they always seem to be key first team squad players. What's the reason? Poor medical programme? We buy cheap so get more injury prone players? We lunge into stupid tackles? We don't lunge into stupid tackles and therefore end up on the receiving end of them?

Chelsea and Leicester last season stayed remarkably injury free. Spurs have had a good run ever since Pochettino came in. Most teams have a few absentees with various ailments but I'm struggling to think of a team that loses so many key players to horrible injury year on year. It has more of an impact on our season that we give it credit for at times.

Sure I read something that the reason the Chelsea team under Mourinho (unlike his United team) stayed injury free was that they didn't train much at all and at low intensities. Helped keep them fit and injury free all season.

Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace, Hull, Man Utd., Sunderland and Watford have the same or more injured players at the moment. I don't think we're particularly exceptional, we just focus on us I think.

http://premierinjuries.com

When you write it down like that it does seem we've had a lot of serious long term injuries, but you'd need to know how many other teams have had in the same time period before you could say it's good or bad comparitively.

This link doesn't answer that but is related :

http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ed-are-most-injured-teams-since-201112-season
http://www.skysports.com/football/n...ed-are-most-injured-teams-since-201112-season
We've had 3rd most days missed through injuies since 2011/12. 8th highest this season (up till April 19th).

And to the surprise of nobody Darron Gibson has missed the 3rd highest amount of days since 2011/2012. With Tony Hibbert 4th and Steven Pienaar 5th.

Bournemouth, West Ham, Palace, Hull, Man Utd., Sunderland and Watford have the same or more injured players at the moment. I don't think we're particularly exceptional, we just focus on us I think.

http://premierinjuries.com

How many of them are bad injuries though? United have had a tough year this season but historically they're normal pretty injury free at least under Fergie. We're pretty bad most seasons.

When you write it down like that it does seem we've had a lot of serious long term injuries, but you'd need to know how many other teams have had in the same time period before you could say it's good or bad comparitively.

This link doesn't answer that but is related :

We've had 3rd most days missed through injuies since 2011/12. 8th highest this season (up till April 19th).

And to the surprise of nobody Darron Gibson has missed the 3rd highest amount of days since 2011/2012. With Tony Hibbert 4th and Steven Pienaar 5th.

Yeah I guess there'll always be days lost through niggles and stuff like that, but you can carry them when they're spread round the team over a season. We seem to routinely have 2 or 3 out for the season and then a collection of annoying muscle injuries to contend with.

How many of them are bad injuries though? United have had a tough year this season but historically they're normal pretty injury free at least under Fergie. We're pretty bad most seasons.
Let's get an unpaid intern in and research the comparitive records of teams' injury records.:)

A decent point. Pretty sure it's part of the rs's pact with the devil.

On the other side of that however, we've been massively fortunate that in the past four seasons Rom hasn't had one major injury that has kept him out for significant time. Considering we havent really had another out and out back up or second striker in that time we've done well there.

...it's not so much new injuries, it's the recovery from injuries and the recurring nature of specific injuries (McCarthy) that's the problem. The top pitches (and training grounds) might look like bowling greens but they are very firm from a stud length down. I think this is the reason there are so many knee injuries throughout the game these days.

Anyway, the strategy comes from the club doctor and I'm delighted Dr Irvine has finally put his slippers on and a replacement is being appointed. We need somebody innovative and bright to see our fortunes turn around.

Nah, I reckon other teams get similar amounts. This season and 08/09 seemed particularly unlucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.