Inspector Moyes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Basil Fawlty

Player Valuation: £35m
Everton reveal plans for summer transfer activity
May 13 2009
Everton manager David Moyes will ensure there is plenty of "detective work" done on potential transfer targets so that he is able to bring in the right sort of player this summer.

Moyes has spoken in the past about how the character of his injury-ravaged squad has got the club to the FA Cup final and maintained their challenge for fifth place in the Barclays Premier League.

The loss of key players like Phil Jagielka, Mikel Arteta and Aiyegbeni Yakubu to serious injuries could easily have derailed the Toffees' campaign but it appears to have made the remaining players more determined.

Everton played most of December and January without a recognised centre-forward and Moyes said attitude was just as important a consideration as talent when looking to recruit players.

"For me it is important you get the correct characters," said Moyes.

"Sometimes you have to bring people in who aren't just the exact same because they help enhance the team in the dressing room as well.

"It is not always easy to get all the details about the players' personality.

"You have to do your homework and find out from the people who are close to them - but you tend to find they say they are great guys and everything is good.

"You have to do a little bit of delving and detective work to try to find out about them.

"But footballers are like anyone else. They want to come and play and be part of a team and part of a good set-up.

"I think when they get that they tend to mould together. Anyone who doesn't you can tell becomes a little bit of an outcast and the good ones shove them aside

"You just have to weigh it up, get it right and get the right people if you can."

In addition to Arteta and Jagielka (both knee) and Yakubu (Achilles) Everton have also been without forward Victor Anichebe (knee) and defender Nuno Valente for much of the season.

Even when he gets those players back Moyes knows he must strengthen in the summer if they are to progress again next season.

"When we add the other new ones we want to add to the squad we will be even better because the squad is tight," said the Toffees boss.

"We still have to wait to see these boys come back from their serious injuries and see if they are still as good as they were when they went out.

"Hopefully if they are we can have a real strong squad and that is what we will need now we are back in Europe again because we want to try to do well in all cup competitions."

A bigger squad creates greater competition for places but Moyes said he could handle any resentment that may create.

"If players sulked then we would have to do something about it," he said.

"Nowadays if you are out of the team then you have to get on with it.

"Leighton Baines was out the team for a long time and he has progressed no end now he is back in the side.

"It happens and you have to be patient in football and take your opportunity."

Thought this was a pretty interesting article some might not have read, as it is from the Birmingham Mail

Last edited:
Well he's already picked up 3 players - Peterlin, Mustafi, Coleman - that will be hopefully looking to eye a game or two in Europe and the Carling Cup. Then you've got Vaughan, Anichebe, Rodwell and Gosling already breaking into the 1st team.

Moyes is eyeing up a few more young players, so with that and maybe a few loans and one big signing the squad will be very strong next year.

Can you change the thread title to Inspector Moyes please Dan? Don't know why I didn't think of that in the 1st place

As good as it is we have such a strong team spirit and all it does slightly worry me that Moyes will sign a player based on his personality rather than abilty.

And when looking to break into the top four like we can't really turn down top quality players just cause they might have a bit of an ego or attitude problem.

But fair enough it seems to be working for the team and we wouldn't be where we are without it right now but i just hope looking for the perfect player to fit in doesn't stop us finding the perfect player to take us further.

I love David Moyes and I'm glad character is so important to him. If he thinks Joe Ledley will do more to improve us than Manuel Fernandes then that's good enough for me.

I suspect that's why Moyes hasnt delved into the foriegn market as much. He places so much emphasis on player's character and can't find out as easily.

I read recently that SAF has done exactly the same at United, obviously passed on that bit of advice to his young protege.

I wonder who the ones are that turned out bad apples?

Obviously AVM is a nice guy, otherwise he'd have been out on his arse moons ago.

I wonder who he means when he says;

"But footballers are like anyone else. They want to come and play and be part of a team and part of a good set-up.

"I think when they get that they tend to mould together. Anyone who doesn't you can tell becomes a little bit of an outcast and the good ones shove them aside"
"

???:huh:

Moyes to do homework as he seeks right recruits - Scotsman.com Sport

Tbh Des', (for me) it's the manager's who can deduce a (any) players character in the blink of an eye that make the best manager's. So, what Moyes says, as far as I'm concerned, is/should be given as a prerequisite (as one of the reasons a guy who wants to manage, gets to manage).

Actually it's a bit silly. I mean, could anyone see Joey Barton playing professional football.

:D

Nah, in all honesty, it's a softener toward all Evertonians in readiness to who exactly Dave Moyes is going to draft-in this summer -- call it, a psychological 'Fistful Of Shirt'.

Status
Not open for further replies.