Is this the season when Shane Duffy breaks through?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'll go back to my original statement. If he 'breaks through' this year, then a bad chain of events would have happened (significant long term injury(s)) for this to happen.

He likely won't hardly get a sniff of the bench, let alone the pitch if we stay healthy at CB. His chance of 'breaking through' this season are very slim...not saying I don't think he can do a job...I just think he has too many bodies in front of him.

yes, he "lacks a yard of pace", but that is hardly the deciding factor in a central defender. Just look at Per Mertesacker at Arsenal or Daniel van Buyten at Bayern Munich. Both are hideously slow but manage to do a job in teams with very similar playing styles to our own.

To address your second point, "always looks prone to a mistake", we've hardly seen enough of him recently to say that. That fact is, he had an impressive showing while out on loan last season and deserves a chance now. At the very least, I would give him a chance ahead of Alcaraz at the moment.
Not sure about van buyten but mertesaker is a brilliant ball playing cb he's perfect apart from the lack of pace

It will be interesting to see for sure. Against him is that he's undoubtedly at least got three players ahead of him in Jags, Stones and Distin, and possibly Alcaraz as well, who Martinez obviously rates. I know we have a lot of games (hopefully) this season, but I don't know that centre backs are rotated as often as other positions. If he can get 15-20 appearances this season I'd say he could be exceptionally happy with that.

Of course, there's also the prospect of Martinez playing three at the back, which would of course give him more opportunities. You also have to throw into the mix someone like Browning, who everyone at the club seemed excited about last year. Is he ready for first team exposure yet or will he go out on loan this year?

If Duffy was a young up and coming CB at another club, or was being judged on his performances on loan last season, No one would want us buying him.

With blue tinted specs and the obsession with any youngster who gets anywhere near the first team, Duffy is now the next lothar Matthias in waiting if only he's given the chance to play and have some coaching off Roberto!

Truth is, more than likely he's not gonna make it here and be of the quality required to push on and eventually replace a jags, Distin or even alcaraz!

I think this pre-season will prove to be his last here and like lundstrum it's decision time from bobby, which is why they are getting a last look at.

in-catalonia-spain-kids-beat-the-ti-de-nadal-log-with-a-stick-so-he-drops-presents.jpg

I would have this log with a face as 4th choice centre-back over Alcaraz. I think Duffy would be even better.

In my humble opinion, the lad is currently not at the level required to be in Everton's first team on a regular basis. Unlike John Stones, it will take Duffy a few more seasons of playing competitive football week in week out to learn his craft. Stones is naturally gifted when it comes to reading and anticipating the play which usually only comes with many years experience, so the notion that Duffy might follow Stones into Everton's first team this season is almost certainly not going to happen.

Can see Duffy going on to have a successful Premier League career with another club - possibly a bit like Richard Dunne - although Dunne was quite far ahead of him at his age.

Although Duffy, I hope for the lads sake, has a better head on his shoulders than Dunne.

If Duffy was a young up and coming CB at another club, or was being judged on his performances on loan last season, No one would want us buying him.

With blue tinted specs and the obsession with any youngster who gets anywhere near the first team, Duffy is now the next lothar Matthias in waiting if only he's given the chance to play and have some coaching off Roberto!

Truth is, more than likely he's not gonna make it here and be of the quality required to push on and eventually replace a jags, Distin or even alcaraz!

I think this pre-season will prove to be his last here and like lundstrum it's decision time from bobby, which is why they are getting a last look at.

I'd like him to go out on loan for another season or half-season alternated with Browning, at a very good footballing team at the top end of the championship. This will allow RM to see if he can hack/develop the required distribution for playing the Everton way. There is always a need for a dominant centre back to counter the big target men, even when using three at the back - or particularly when doing so - for which he is more than suitable.

Watched him quite a lot at U18 and U21 level and hope that he makes it with us but think that he will need to go elsewhere to develop into a top level premier league centre back.

Will be harder for him to break through while we have Stones and Jags, Distin, but he could be our 4th CB cover as we have more games, and cant see us buying another defender, also like the look of Browning as well who looks like he might over-take Duffy

He looked a lot more composed on the ball against Tranmere which is good to see. It'd probably be a mistake to get rid of him with Alcaraz having dodgy fitness.

I'd like to say I rate him as he seems a nice lad, but... lacks a yard of pace and always looks prone to a mistake.

I think he's came around in the wrong era. Stones looks well more suited to being a modern defender, whereas Duffy is more of the Dave Watson type.

With respect, and not just because he is a family friend, but Waggy at his peak would waltz in to most sides in the country. He was on another planet to Shane Duffy.

.....RM will already have a view but even if its not a positive one at this point he will at least give the lad a chance to prove himself. There appears mixed reports regarding his performance at Tranmere, I didn't go but the feedback I received was that Duffy will be disappointed that he didn't take his opportunity. Only time will tell.

With respect, and not just because he is a family friend, but Waggy at his peak would waltz in to most sides in the country. He was on another planet to Shane Duffy.
Dave Watson was great, like.

Perhaps it's a little unfair to compare Duffy to him.

One is a young player, one is a trophy winning club captain. There's only one outcome there at the moment. Let's see how he does though, he may do a Coleman and turn out to be great.

Agreed - all I said was Duffy is the same type of player; strong in the air, dependent on good positioning rather than pace, not exactly reknowned for ability on the ball. In short, an old fashioned centre half.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back