It was only a matter of time...

Status
Not open for further replies.

GrandOldTeam

Staff member
... before Neville said something :lol:

Was actually going to post asking everyone to guess what he'll say. It could become a feature on here? :lol:

Anyway...

http://www.evertonfc.com/news/archi..._medium=rss_feed&utm_term=NEV: ONLY THE START

Despite the Carling Cup semi-final exit, Phil Neville believes the Blues are on the verge of something special.
Joe Cole’s exquisite strike on 69 minutes ended the Toffees’ hopes of a Wembley date next month with Spurs.
Roared on by the magnificent support inside Goodison, David Moyes’ men could not find a way past the impressive Petr Cech but the Blues skipper was proud of his players and the fans.
He told evertonTV: "It was always going to be a tough game but as captain I was proud of the players.
“I was proud of the fans - they got behind us. It was just not to be - even though we have been knocked out of a major semi-final this has got to be the start at Everton Football Club and that is the message I have said to the players.
“It is the start of something special and if you asked us what cup final we wanted to get to, we would have said the Uefa Cup although that does not mean anything today when we are all hurting.”
The England international is urging his teammates to bounce back accordingly in the Premier League and the Uefa Cup.
Neville continued: “We are still in the Uefa Cup and doing well in the league, so let's make this the beginning and a great end to the season.
“And let’s not get too despondent, it is how you bounce back from something like this.
“The disappointing thing for me was for a 20 minute period in the second half when we were on top we did not score and against the top teams you have got to score. And they scored when we were on top - as soon as they scored it was a mountain to climb."

good upbeat comments from the captain!!

Yeah maybe...

Still a little hollow to me though. Would have been nice to hear his views on why the lost the match and what went wrong, did they play the wrong tactics, etc.

I thought Johnson was effectively neutralised throughout the whole game.

It wasn't until Anichebe was pulling defenders away and Vaughan was pinning the full backs down that Johnson started to look more threatening.

I said before the game that we need someone with height on that pitch from the get go, and lo and behold he plays Johnson against some of the best defenders in the world and the tallest keeper I've ever given the fingers too.

Hard to blame Johnson for his performance, he really tried, and for the scraps he was getting he didn't do too badly. The final ball in to him was usually cut out or 90% of the time fairly poor.
I don't want to blame Moyes for his team selection up front because it could have worked if Chelsea hadn't anticipated it, but I would have liked him to go with his head and play Anichebe/Vaughan up front instead of Johnson.

Spilt milk and that though :)

Yeah maybe...

Still a little hollow to me though. Would have been nice to hear his views on why the lost the match and what went wrong, did they play the wrong tactics, etc.

That's one's simple.

Chelsea's why we lost the match. We didn't lose it. They beat us.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back