2022/23 James Garner

Status
Not open for further replies.
Garner is a midfielder who can do everything e.g Pass, tackle, shoot, dead balls, solid positioning etc...a real all rounder.

He has been compared to Carrick as a deeper midfielder, but he has bite in his tackles and can also play box to box.

If were going to play 3 in central midfield then theres no one else in the squad with the skillset to sit deep and hold their position.

So maybe if Gana is injured you'd put on Garner (Gana / Garner sound the same anyway)

Would never have been able to predict our midfield 3 this year , from that one / two match run when Gomes - Doucoure - Allan looked really good, this is the first time I feel good about our depth in midfield in ages.

So maybe if Gana is injured you'd put on Garner (Gana / Garner sound the same anyway)

Would never have been able to predict our midfield 3 this year , from that one / two match run when Gomes - Doucoure - Allan looked really good, this is the first time I feel good about our depth in midfield in ages.

….back four much stronger, CM much stronger. Perhaps a single signing in January - potent attacker, be it a winger or striker.

I expect this lad would have had some game time by now, but Frank cant drop the middle 3 at the moment. He will get his chance, but it might be from the bench next time we have a 2 goal lead, or in a cup game.

Makes me sad that Tom Davies was chosen before this lad at the weekend - as though Tom Davies' 60 yr old legs are thought to be more reliable...

Scrap that at once, Frankie boy.

…..I think Lampard was using his man-management skills. He said Davies was ‘unlucky to be dropped’ so I think he was trying to reward him for a much more focused approach this season.

After match, Lampard suggested Garner was training really well & he was looking forward to getting him involved. it’s only a matter of time before he gets game time.

…..I think Lampard was using his man-management skills. He said Davies was ‘unlucky to be dropped’ so I think he was trying to reward him for a much more focused approach this season.

After match, Lampard suggested Garner was training really well & he was looking forward to getting him involved. it’s only a matter of time before he gets game time.
Yeah I understand why he's done it I suppose @Eggs . Just frustrating as a supporter when you can already see the inevitable (Garner = superior to Davies) and you're excited to see it manifest ?

Suppose that's why I'm not in charge of managing a multi-million pound group of players.

BRB.... just going to find a better roach...

Doucouré won't get the extension he's hopeful for. He'll leave on a Bosman next summer or maybe a nominal fee in Jan.

The club are still in cost-cutting mode (understandable) and he's possibly the best paid midfielder at the club. (I'm not sure what Gana is on.) We can't afford to have a high earner as a rotation option.

Davies will likely always be here and that's fine. He's a decent player but playing under multiple managers with different styles in multiple positions at a key stage of his development has hindered his progress. I'd guess he's our lowest paid established first teamer and is generally reliable. I really don't get the stick he gets. Proper weird fans.

Hopefully Warrington continues to progress and he's brought back into the squad next season.

Short version: We have decent options for the first time in ages and Garner will probably end the season with 15/20 appearances. Ease him in and see how he does.
Think I read he's on £25k pw which sounds about right given he was just 21 when he signed it. His contract is due up next year and there's been no paper talk surrounding this as far as i can see. I can't believe that the club haven't discussed renewal with him, but I reckon he realises he is well down the pecking order here and has decided to move on to get more playing time. Who can blame him. I think a few lower end premier teams will be interested in him as he has tons of premier experience for somebody his age. It's fair to say that he hasn't really developed as much as we would have hoped from the 16 yo who burst on the scene, but agree he's nowhere near as bad as some n here would make out. Not even close. I actually he Warrington takes Toms place in the squad.

Pretty certain we have an extra years option with Doucoure and I think we will exercise that rather than let him go on a free next summer. We may end up selling him anyway to help finance the purchase of somebody younger. I'm really excited about Garner though. I think he has the making of a top midfielder and hopefully we'll see him introduced more from the bench before too long and rotated with the other 3 first choice to keep players fresh. A lot of football to play before the world cup.

Think I read he's on £25k pw which sounds about right given he was just 21 when he signed it. His contract is due up next year and there's been no paper talk surrounding this as far as i can see. I can't believe that the club haven't discussed renewal with him, but I reckon he realises he is well down the pecking order here and has decided to move on to get more playing time. Who can blame him. I think a few lower end premier teams will be interested in him as he has tons of premier experience for somebody his age. It's fair to say that he hasn't really developed as much as we would have hoped from the 16 yo who burst on the scene, but agree he's nowhere near as bad as some n here would make out. Not even close. I actually he Warrington takes Toms place in the squad.

Pretty certain we have an extra years option with Doucoure and I think we will exercise that rather than let him go on a free next summer. We may end up selling him anyway to help finance the purchase of somebody younger. I'm really excited about Garner though. I think he has the making of a top midfielder and hopefully we'll see him introduced more from the bench before too long and rotated with the other 3 first choice to keep players fresh. A lot of football to play before the world cup.
We definitely have an option on Doucoure but he admitted recently that it's not even been discussed with only around 7 months to run.

The point is he's a rotation option at circa 100k a week vs a rotation option (Davies) at around 50k if renewed.

He done exactly the same with Patterson ( injuries aside ) don't see a problem getting the lad tuned into how Lampard wants him to play.
He's a long term player for us.

We definitely have an option on Doucoure but he admitted recently that it's not even been discussed with only around 7 months to run.

The point is he's a rotation option at circa 100k a week vs a rotation option (Davies) at around 50k if renewed.
Isn't it only an option from our side though. We either exercise it or we don't. Not sure we need to enter discussions with him at this stage.

As regards Davies I think we definitely want him to sign a new contract. For me, it's more a case of him wanting to move on for more game time.

Could be completely wrong like. On both counts.

Status
Not open for further replies.