Confirmed Signing James Tarkowski

Status
Not open for further replies.
Newcastle and Villa didn't want him. Newcastle are going after younger players with potential and trying to reduce squad age and Villa are aiming up market. Tarkowski had one game left in town really.

If it really is 120k per week I'd have this as a catastrophic bit of business showing lessons have not been learned. We have no business paying anyone anything near that amount and Tarkowski is simply a very average centre back that would not get into any non-promoted side bar Leeds and Southampton and just possibly Brentford.

Not sure mate. Looks to be that Gerrard is making sure they're competitive in the immediate to facilitate his move to Liverpool.

Digne 28, Coutinho 30,, Ings 29, Diego Carlos 29.

[edit] just realised was Newcastle you said going after younger players with potential.

I have heard more than enough of the “PL experience” argument. The following are players who we signed, with PL experience (off the top of my head):

Sigurdsson
Walcott
Ashley Williams
Yannick Bolasie
Salomon Rondon
Anwar el Ghazi
Dele Alli

In a vacuum your point would be correct but we have our own, extensive, proven experience of signing failure after failure so we MUST protect ourselves to some degree even when doing deals that look otherwise pretty safe. Instead, we’ve jumped straight into another 4 years for a player who hasn’t shown a thing outside of Burnley’s bus-parking style of play.

I’ll say it again: I hope I’m wrong. I am very confident, though, that we’ll be seeing some widespread shouts for his head in his player thread by Jan, and in 3 years the usual lot will still be scratching their heads wondering why we can’t sell him.
We also signed Distin, Barry, Richarlison, Pickford and others wit PL experience.

If a player is performing in the Pl, it’s less of a risk than buying from abroad or from lower leagues, but it comes with a premium.

We have been very bad of those sorts of signings under Moshiri, but the whole recruitment team has changed. All we can do is watch and wait.

We also signed Distin, Barry, Richarlison, Pickford and others wit PL experience.

If a player is performing in the Pl, it’s less of a risk than buying from abroad or from lower leagues, but it comes with a premium.

We have been very bad of those sorts of signings under Moshiri, but the whole recruitment team has changed. All we can do is watch and wait.
When all we can do is watch and wait, signing off on four years seems that bit more crazy.

Not sure mate. Looks to be that Gerrard is making sure they're competitive in the immediate to facilitate his move to Liverpool.

Digne 28, Coutinho 30,, Ings 29, Diego Carlos 29.

[edit] just realised was Newcastle you said going after younger players with potential.
Think he is bang average and likely another Keane and signing him commits us to some form of low block football if our defence is not to be picked apart. But times are what they are and maybe he is all we can aspire to.

But if that salary is anything like reported then this is a horror deal. We are where we are by overpaying on salaries and yet here we go again offering to make Tark one of highest earning CBs in the country - and by extension the world - and refusing to acknowledge the concept of a salary structure.

No one else seemed interested in him at all really and the window isn't yet open. Why?Just why?

Newcastle and Villa didn't want him. Newcastle are going after younger players with potential and trying to reduce squad age and Villa are aiming up market. Tarkowski had one game left in town really.

If it really is 120k per week I'd have this as a catastrophic bit of business showing lessons have not been learned. We have no business paying anyone anything near that amount and Tarkowski is simply a very average centre back that would not get into any non-promoted side bar Leeds and Southampton and just possibly Brentford.
We really don't know which clubs were interested in him .
Villa have paid a lot of money for a player of the same age that I would guess most of us know very little about.

Tarkowski starts for every single team in the league outside of the top 5.

Tripper 32 - £12m
Wood 31 - £25m
Guimarães 25 - £33.3m
Burn 30 - £13m
Targett 27 - £15m

Total: £98.3m since January.

This is proper debatable tbh.

Status
Not open for further replies.