Install the app
How to install the app on iOS

Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.

Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.

January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
That's true, but it's why a left-back who is

a) willing to get forward
b) willing to use his left foot
c) not Martina

is so crucial, mate.

That gives Sigurdsson the freedom to cut inside then. Defensively Gyfli does a great job of tracking, but if - when we're going forward - he doesn't always have to be out wide, because there's a player overlapping, then he suddenly gets the entire final third to operate in.

See his goal vs Swansea.

Davies drives forward a bit, gives it Rooney, who feeds Gylfi.

For once Martina had made a good run forward and that took a defender with him. That allows Gylfi that 5-10 yards to drive into before getting his shot off.

YES YES YES YES sorry ahem.

I agree.

All we have to do is to persuade said "top quality" to sign for a pretty average side, with a manager who, 50% of fans don't want here.

if you believe everything when we have been in for "name" signings we have failed miserably. On the basis of gossip alone we are dysfunctional in transfer terms. Split between an Owner who wants big names, a manager with his own preference and Walsh moneyball/potential talent. I've seen it explained that to increase turnover to enable growth we have to engage heavily in player trading but then go out and by Gylfi for a sum we will never recoup.

Any sign of the left back crisis being sorted?

Im all over this and the answer is no.

No links
No rumours.
Nothing.

Cuco Martina will be our left back again at the wide open spaces of Wembley this weekend.

Can imagine Pottechino playing Son, Erickson and Trippier all on the right this weekend. Which will pull us completely out of shape as our midfield all go left to cover Cuco.

Then when we clear the ball there are no midfielders to collect it, because they are all in our left back position, so we hoof it to our CF , who looses the header and they start all over again.

It'll be like the alamo back there this weekend.

And all for the want of a left footed ,half decent left back.

But then again i'm not a premier league manager, scout or DOF, so what do i know?

Looks like we can cross Van Aanholt (spelling) of the huge list of left backs we might be in for, seems that Sclupp has got himself injured and will be out for a while

Good news this

praise-jesus-meme.jpg

Order of priorities for this window should be;

1. A quality left back.
2. A pacey front man.
3. A playmaker.

First 2 are obvious been crying out for a new left back for over 2 years. Bainesy still has something to offer but his days are coming to end and will be affected by more an more injuries. Hopefully Tosun will help add something to our toothless attack but he should not be the only arrival, still crying out for more options up front. In the middle of the park our ball retention is so poor and is often where we lose possession. We need someone who can put their foot on the ball, shift the play quickly an get up an down the pitch, easier said than done I know. Was hoping Davy Klassen would bring this to the team but doesn't seem like it is going to happen for him now.

Those who should be moving on in this window...Schnieds, Lennon, Niasse.

Then in the summer we can reassess and rebuild further.

Ill be honest right now, I would move Schneiderlin on if we got an offer we would accept... I can see Lennon going to the likes of a Burnley, and Niasse is obvious.

I would keep Klaassen and maybe send him on load, I think (maybe its the old romantic in me) given time he will still be a good option at the club, its clear he hasn't settled and got uptown speed like we hoped - but thats happened to plenty of good players in the past.

Need to trim the squad and bring in better players to replace... not just numbers, Quality, not Quantity.

Ill be honest right now, I would move Schneiderlin on if we got an offer we would accept... I can see Lennon going to the likes of a Burnley, and Niasse is obvious.

I would keep Klaassen and maybe send him on load, I think (maybe its the old romantic in me) given time he will still be a good option at the club, its clear he hasn't settled and got uptown speed like we hoped - but thats happened to plenty of good players in the past.

Need to trim the squad and bring in better players to replace... not just numbers, Quality, not Quantity.

I am confused about these schneiderlin shouts, he hasnt been playing well...but allardyce keeps picking him, i cant see him selling him

I am confused about these schneiderlin shouts, he hasnt been playing well...but allardyce keeps picking him, i cant see him selling him

I know, its just my personal opinion something isnt right - and I still dont see the partnership with him and Gana being right - it just feels off, its force Gana to be more expressive, which is sound cos he has an engine but is rubbish in the final 3rd.

I would rather Gana be the holder and someone next to him moving, Schneiderlin to me seems off.

Like you I dont see it happening right now, but if the right offer came in I would definitely look to sell and restructure the midfield.

Dedoncker is good on FM.

Well he's slow as anything in real life. Class on the ball, good long shot, but not what we need IMO. We need a better box to box athlete.

I also disagree that McCarthy is on some sort of tactical string. Doucoure is also defensively aware, but has pace and skill that can drive an offense up the pitch. McCarthy does not have that. Maybe a little bit, but not like Doucoure. Doesn't mean he's bad, just means that I don't think he's going to help improve the offense.

But left back, man. PVA is terrible so thank heavens he's not coming.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back