January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
If were in a similar position in January to what were in now, the qaulity of player who will join us will be lower than it was start of the season.
We should be looking for a left back, another centre back and proper centre forward
Maybe a proper central midfielder as well who isn't as limited as gueye & Schneiderlin but not a luxury player like sigurdssen.

Thinking positive, I'd like us to go after Giroud again, or maybe Jamie Carry or Troy Deeney.
A little more grounded and less exciting a signing Leonardo Ulloa

Martial although in cracking form does not have the best relationship with Mourinho any chance with a mega salary and guaranteed starting xi as rooney appears to have he could be swayed to be a hero?

Kone, Alcaraz, Robles, McGeady, Cleverley, Galloway. He signed some right cack.
I personally like Robles, and Galloway hasn't been helped by his loans but I see your point.

He also signed Lu, Del and Barry whom gave us something and I would say we miss all 3 in our squad right now.

Kone, Alcaraz, Robles, McGeady, Cleverley, Galloway. He signed some right cack.
Kone was 6m and would walk into the starting 11 of this team.
Alcaraz was a free and 4th choice backup. Who is our fourth choice backup now because Jags is 35, Williams is 33 and Holgate is a kid and completely untested as a CB.
Robles did really well. Kept coming in and getting a string of clean sheets and then getting booted for no obvious reason apart from looking a bit hapless.
McGeady was another free.
Clevery was another free who we sold on for a big profit who is now an important player for a team far higher up the league.
Galloway is a kid.

How much did that entire list cost? 10m->15m.

That's less than one Klassen.

The problem with Martinez is he blew his load with Lukaku and wasn't backed by the board in subsequent windows. He even tried to tell us this by saying we would have to wait 3 or 4 years before he could make another Lukaku like signing. What squad gets to wait 3 or 4 years.

I thought at the time Martinez wasn't great in the transfer market and just got lucky with Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu but christ I didn't know how bad it could get.

So yes, CB, CF, left back, we all know it. Think another wing would be lovely depending on Bolaisse's status.

Question is - can sales help fuel the purchases? If McCarthy can show he's healthy, he could be worth 15M maybe. Funes Mori isn't going to be healthy, so can't move him. If we get a CF and play Rooney up top, can we move Niasse? Robles seems content to let his contract expire, so he's not going to get us anything. Lennon? We need width and pace for sure and I don't think Henry is going to get here soon enough.

Ross being back will help, but he can't defend or play striker...I think we'd all prefer he stays. If he signs a new deal, could we turn around and sell Klaassen?

Kone was 6m and would walk into the starting 11 of this team.
Alcaraz was a free and 4th choice backup. Who is our fourth choice backup now because Jags is 35, Williams is 33 and Holgate is a kid and completely untested as a CB.
Robles did really well. Kept coming in and getting a string of clean sheets and then getting booted for no obvious reason apart from looking a bit hapless.
McGeady was another free.
Clevery was another free who we sold on for a big profit who is now an important player for a team far higher up the league.
Galloway is a kid.

How much did that entire list cost? 10m->15m.

That's less than one Klassen.

The problem with Martinez is he blew his load with Lukaku and wasn't backed by the board in subsequent windows. He even tried to tell us this by saying we would have to wait 3 or 4 years before he could make another Lukaku like signing. What squad gets to wait 3 or 4 years.

I thought at the time Martinez wasn't great in the transfer market and just got lucky with Barry, Lukaku and Deulofeu but christ I didn't know how bad it could get.
That was years ago, man. The market is different. And no one is free, the salaries were plenty high for several of those guys.

We still need a friggin RB because I doubt Coleman will be back much before the World Cup plus we have no idea in what state when he does.

Right now we have Martina, Holgate and Kenny. None are higher than league 1 standard.

Sorry but apart from center forward this is by far our most important position to fill.

That was years ago, man. The market is different. And no one is free, the salaries were plenty high for several of those guys.
The market has gone up by around 100% to 150%. Still makes them all cheap compared to Klassen.

Plus there are still frees to be had. Sanchez will be going on one in the summer, maybe even Barkley too.

The salaries are high for this current crop too or at least that's what we are told. We have always paid high salaries compared to those below us. It's what has allowed us to stay where we are without having to spend a lot in transfers.

Over to you Steve Walsh ! Needs to unearth a couple of European gems and just pray they can hit the ground running ... every game that goes by at the moment gives us less chance of signing any quality established forwards ..hard to believe even with all of the years of expectation and hope how bad it has become this year .. we need something positive to happen quickly !

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back