January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've just had a quick look, and would say 8 at City are currently getting regular game time, with maybe 7 at Chelsea.
So 8/29 or 8/13 whichever way you look at it in total for City and 7/11 for Chelsea.

How many are 'hits' for us comparatively? I'm too ill to be bothered doing the research right now aha

Was including youth... but even so, take that out.

10 new players in the space of six months, costing over £200m. It's a hell of a lot. It's probably been felt moreso because the players who have left were our better players, as well.

IMO anyway, it felt worse because of several factors outside of what you've said mate, Baines it became clear was finished completely this season, Coleman missing has been an absolutely massive blow as he was IMO the 1 world class player in the squad (including Lukaku btw), and Schneiderlin decided to effectively retire whilst still being played, throw in Davies not pushing on (second season syndrome) and thats 4 very good players we lost on top of Lukaku and Barkley

So 8/29 or 8/13 whichever way you look at it in total for City and 7/11 for Chelsea.

How many are 'hits' for us comparatively? I'm too ill to be bothered doing the research right now aha
Yeah my point wasn't so much about the hit/miss ratio (although I reckon you could argue that only really Pickford and Rooney have been genuine hits in that bunch), more that signing a load of new players doesn't necessarily preclude you from having a good season, as some people have suggested this year.

IMO anyway, it felt worse because of several factors outside of what you've said mate, Baines it became clear was finished completely this season, Coleman missing has been an absolutely massive blow as he was IMO the 1 world class player in the squad (including Lukaku btw), and Schneiderlin decided to effectively retire whilst still being played, throw in Davies not pushing on (second season syndrome) and thats 4 very good players we lost on top of Lukaku and Barkley
Stones/Delboy.

Koeman has really stuffed things up. Absolute mug.

Yeah my point wasn't so much about the hit/miss ratio (although I reckon you could argue that only really Pickford and Rooney have been genuine hits in that bunch), more that signing a load of new players doesn't necessarily preclude you from having a good season, as some people have suggested this year.
True say.

But going back on ourselves again I bet all those players at other clubs were signed for proper positions and with some sort of actual plan.

As it is, our best XI changes every week because in truth, there isn't one

I'm certain almost that it's all connected to Man U and if they bring in a left back mate, Rose comes in Shaw will leave - and to here i reckon.

The recalling of the young lad from his loan for me is a way to circumnavigate any fume over Shaw leaving by making the appearance that you trust one of your academy lads to be Roses back up and the future in that position etc

..yep, you seem convinced about that and you might be right. You have to think there’s some reason he’s leaving it until the last minute before registering Garbutt.

Oh he's made mistakes mate.

But yeh, he was part of a defence that was changing every week, had no pace and no communication.

Which is why Sam needs to go back to the settled back four that was doing well defensively at first. Okay, we need to oust Martina, but that will improve things.

Can't stand him - but Sakho would have been a very very good buy for this side mate

That's kind of what I was getting at to be honest. It's pretty normal to sign that amount of players, and there's no reason it shouldn't work - as evidenced by the performance of many teams both at the top end and who've just been promoted (Huddersfield and Brighton brought in 14 and 13 players respectively this summer and are probably overperforming in respect to expectation). It's basically just that we're not used to it, and have put 2 and 2 together to assume that it's the number of signings that have been the issue.

One thing we can easily deduce is that people at this club like it the way it is, old boys club mentality, and maybe that includes the playing staff who where here as well.

That's kind of what I was getting at to be honest. It's pretty normal to sign that amount of players, and there's no reason it shouldn't work - as evidenced by the performance of many teams both at the top end and who've just been promoted (Huddersfield and Brighton brought in 14 and 13 players respectively this summer and are probably overperforming in respect to expectation). It's basically just that we're not used to it, and have put 2 and 2 together to assume that it's the number of signings that have been the issue.

One thing we can easily deduce is that people at this club like it the way it is, old boys club mentality, and maybe that includes the playing staff who where here as well.

I can't wait until all our 'old guard' are gone. Stinking the place out something rotten and have done long enough to stain my fond memories of them.

Ie. I genuinely think Baines is awful now. Why did we let this happen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back