January 2018 transfer window thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Kone was 6m and shot. Didn't have one good game for us and would rank alongside Niasse, except he didn't have the latter's drive.
Even with our current defense having aged 3-4 years since then, anything we have now is better than Alcaraz was then. Holgate is just as mistake-prone but will hopefully learn. Funes Mori is as injury-prone but miles better.
The fact that we look like we haven't practiced defending in 5 years is both down to Martinez and Koeman. Our current centrebacks are Jags, Williams, Keane, Funes Mori, Holgate. Alcaraz would not even play for the U23s.

The fact that neither Martinez nor Koeman bothered to bring in a decent back up striker to Lukaku is enough for me to write them off completely. The defense needs sorting, but how do you do that without bringing in a new player since it's october? I think Jagielka and Keane are our best current partnership, but with Baines being wildly underwhelming lately and the right side looking a shambles I'm not sure how you shore things up.
Kone scored a hattrick in one game so that is just nonsense plus he wasn't shot when he joined us. He was just unlucky to get a ACL injury plus he's far better than Niasse. Don't confuse him being awful with being awful relative to what we currently have. Valencia was awful but I would have him over what we currently have too.

Again rubbish. Alcaraz was bought as a 4th choice backup. The problem we have now is we can't field two half decent CB starters. Funes Mori is injured. Holgate is rubbish - sorry I know he's a kid but just like DCL neither are ready and I doubt either will ever be for a premiership club. Holgate is just the 2017 version of Galloway.

Our defence is terrible but it is down to the players. We simply have gone from one of the best defences with Coleman, Jags, Stones, Distin and Baines to Dad's Army down to lack of investment in the defence from the board. I think they have thought due to the fact it hasn't been an issue for so long that these players had longer left. Now they have all gone to poo at the same time.

Martinez didn't have the money to bring in a decent backup striker so Kone was about as good as we could hope for especially considering we couldn't offer them game time. Koeman and Walsh have no excuses including last year.

Personally I don't think we can fix the defence at least without killing any kind of attack which is why home games will be key.

The game at Leicester showed this. First half we started with a reasonably normal attacking lineup. 1 holding mid, 2 wingers etc and were torn apart. 2nd half we steadied the ship but didn't look likely to score.

I think we are a poisoned chalice for anyone however I guess Big Sam has kept worst teams up although he has always had a goal scorer.

An SPL winners medal with Celtic in the current climate isn't worth the pewter its imprinted on. If he comes here even for half a season and does well he gives himself an outside chance of making the France World Cup squad. Any of these Celtic players over the last few seasons look for the first exit door they can get. It's proven a very reliable market for Southampton recently and I like what I see from the likes of Dembele and Tierney. The question would be would Celtic sell knowing there would be takers in the summer anyway...

fingers crossed your right and that he would give up a medal for a relegation fight

b6245f64bbcc59670d278d6791065003--gorgeous-men-luke.jpg
Swerve, looks to be trying out for a boy band

Hopefully he's not the only one, we're in dire straights right now with big problems at both ends of the pitch. 4/5 players needed minimum right now.

its amazing how 3 months have tuned us upside down, we made loads of signing thought we would be rock solid at the back, how wrong was i lol, also made like 8 signing and we need like 8 more haha

its amazing how 3 months have tuned us upside down, we made loads of signing thought we would be rock solid at the back, how wrong was i lol, also made like 8 signing and we need like 8 more haha

I don't want to give up on any of the players we've signed as I was very happy with the business we did (Martina aside) but reality has set in now and its clear that some of our older heads (Jags, Williams and Baines) are barely serviceable now and need replacing. We also can't rely on Coleman coming back to his high standards either imo, a competent right back is definitely needed.

I don't want to give up on any of the players we've signed as I was very happy with the business we did (Martina aside) but reality has set in now and its clear that some of our older heads (Jags, Williams and Baines) are barely serviceable now and need replacing. We also can't rely on Coleman coming back to his high standards either imo, a competent right back is definitely needed.

Yeah same really i was happy with the signings we made but could do with a solid center back left and right back (we should try garbutt again, wingers, the center mid and #10 role im happy with and then 2 strikers. I wishing sandro comes good as well

so far pickford and vlasic have been the best signings ..

Spend big on Gameiro, and get it done now so that he's ready to arrive in the first week of January.

Also, while I'm not a huge fan of his, I would seriously consider Walcott, too. This team needs pace and variety in attack, and the likes of Bolasie and Sandro aren't good enough to provide it.

Would take either Shaw or Blind from United to play left-back. No idea what level of centre-halves are likely to be available, though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back