Joleon Lescott

Sell Lescott?

• Yes, for £18m to £20m - with all money being given to Moyes to spend

Votes: 116 45.0%
  • No way - we must keep him at the club.

Votes: 142 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Stop Fookin about over Lescott and.....

.....just state clearly to the watching world, if Man City (or anyone else) wants him the bidding starts at £30m. He's not worth that of course, but they seem happy to pay over the odds for everyone else to work on their "project" so why shouldn't they do the same for Lescott if they really want him ?

Most players have loyalty clauses in their contracts that entitle them to a bonus in the event of their transfer to another club. If a player requests a move, then those bonuses are forfeited.

Would he give a [Poor language removed] if citeh were paying him 120 k a week tho?

We don't want to sell him so saying "give us 30mill" isn't hard for citeh to just say ok with the money they've got.

They don't want to spend 30mill on him and I think they don't even want to spend 25mill on him because they wouldve offered that already

I can honestly see him not going especially the longer it's drawn out. I'm more worried about us not buying any players at the moment

Yeah ditto kenada.

Why would they stump their offer up a measly £3mil (i dont mean to sound like bill gates there)

Surely if Glen the Hen Johnson was £16mil they should at least be looking at £25 mil for a top scoring international defender. I think Lescott will stay, cos ManCity obviously aint gonna match £30mil (which seems to be the magic number).
That and the fact Onhuauuahan guy has just signed a new 5 year deal.

More importantly, who are WE getting?

if lescott wanted to he'd have asked to leave already, I mean does he want to be the best paid player over there or something? 120k a week is what would turn him, and he hasn't been turned. 19mill is also a good price. But I've also said we already have a bit of cash in the kitty and still can't buy anyone. And extra 19 mill is going to add to a players fee that we are looking at

I have no faith in that scenario. They're throwing the bags over the side of the balloon to keep in the air. Whilst this stadium theoretically is still there to be paid for the club wont extend themselves financially beyond sell to buy (and they'll even cream some of that off if they can).

Not sure what else they could have said, Dave. They don't want to sell him but they also know that everyone has a price. If they offered £30m we'd be bonkers not to at least think about it....So it's bit pointless saying 'keep your hands off our player' City are only doing what the prospective buyer has a right to do.

I agree. My point is that they are arseing around in a media farce knowing full well that they will eventually sell at the right price/right moment and that the game is to deflect responsibility for that strategy onto questions surrounding the loyalty of the player. And it works for them, as we can see.

As for the club hiding behind fans who can call a player a traitor; this isn't Lescott's decision in the end. He's a commodity that - if the right price is offered - will have no say in where he goes.

I don't think that the club are hiding. They're trying to hold on to one of their own and being pretty clear that they don't want to sell. But money may yet talk

What do you suggest that they do, Dave?

I suggest they do what they're unwilling to do: keep the player and beg borrow and steal to give Moyes a budget that will allow him to take a chance on a few Bosman's. The alternative, for me, is unthuinkable: the sale of Lescott and the devastating effect it'll have on the morale in the squad and amongst the support.

If Johnson is worth £16m then anything over £20m for Lescott we should be snapping their hands off. He's a fine player, no doubt but a bit of reality wouldn't go amiss. He's also 27 so the chances of us getting this kind of bid for him ever again are pretty low.

I have no faith in that scenario. They're throwing the bags over the side of the balloon to keep in the air. Whilst this stadium theoretically is still there to be paid for the club wont extend themselves financially beyond sell to buy (and they'll even cream some of that off if they can).

So having fees rejected for defour and the 5mill or so for naughton not going through didn't happen then?

Citeh will not pay 25mill for lescott, if we needed to sell lescott we wouldn't have rejected this new bid. It's a bigger gamble on our part holding out for 25mill because they can easily just say no and well get nothing.

What are you holding out for davek? Is 25mill too little?

I think it would be great to keep him because the fact is we don't have much money, we can't bring players in, and we can't offer lescott a pay rise.

Me saying we've got a bit in the kitty doesn't mean were minted or it will do to take us to the next level. But what it does say to moyes is this is your budget or you can sell a player to make funds. Moyes has said 3 times he's not selling key players and we've flat out rejected 2 bids. If it's gets to silly money he might have to think twice, but I don't think it will or he will sell

Last edited:
Even all of the Lescott snizz is getting to Pip:

However, on the subject of City, Neville was less flattering. He believes their approach has been too open and accused them of arrogance in the way they go about luring players to Eastlands.

"The club have turned down two offers and the manager is not prepared to sell him. Let’s move on and let’s look forward to the new season.

"Will City get the message? The way they are going about their business, I don’t think they will. There are ways and means of doing things - and Everton do it the right way."

Love that Pip.

Full article: http://www.goal.com/en/news/8/main/2009/07/30/1412310/evertons-phil-neville-praises-joleon-lescotts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back