Joleon Lescott

Sell Lescott?

• Yes, for £18m to £20m - with all money being given to Moyes to spend

Votes: 116 45.0%
  • No way - we must keep him at the club.

Votes: 142 55.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am inclined to disagree with the fact the Rooney sale moved us up another level. Firstly, we never recouped the full transfer fee for Rooney upon completion of his move to United, secondly, we did'nt exactly buy massive to enable us to move a step further. That has been achieved by Moyes foresight to work on a small budget and having the ability to get the best out of his players.

The season after we sold Rooney we spent £20m net on transfers. So clearly that money helped.

We bought a load of average and injury prone players, it's didn't help much to be honest.

Joleon Lescott £5,000,000
Andy Johnson £8,600,000
Alan Stubbs Free
Andy Van der Meyde £2,000,000
Nuno Valente £1,500,000
Phil Neville £3,500,000
Mikel Arteta £2,000,000
Per Kroldrup £5,000,000

Your so right, none of those players turned out alright did they..........

Step back stat man.

Joleon Lescott £5,000,000
Andy Johnson £8,600,000
Alan Stubbs Free
Andy Van der Meyde £2,000,000
Nuno Valente £1,500,000
Phil Neville £3,500,000
Mikel Arteta £2,000,000
Per Kroldrup £5,000,000

Your so right, none of those players turned out alright did they..........

Step back stat man.

Johnson and Lescott where signed the season after, with the TV money.

Valente, Van der Meyde, Davies, Ferrari, Kroldrup and Neville signing for a club that's just finished 4th. Yes, fantastic signings, really pushed us on.

These players were funded in part by the Rooney money, lets not argue over facts mate. Lescott, Arteta and Neville are still very much part of the team, the others not as much so.

Johnson and Lescott where signed the season after, with the TV money.

Valente, Van der Meyde, Davies, Ferrari, Kroldrup and Neville signing for a club that's just finished 4th. Yes, fantastic signings, really pushed us on.

Well said TB, you put them straight mate. (y)

These players were funded in part by the Rooney money, lets not argue over facts mate. Lescott, Arteta and Neville are still very much part of the team, the others not as much so.

Are these really facts?

Not saying your wrong like but I do remember it being mentioned that the Lescott and Johnson deals where paid for by the TV money that we recieved that season.

Anyway, Moyes wasted alot of the Rooney money on [Poor language removed] players, the wrong players.

I still say we never got the full £30 million for Rooney in any case, so those players signed after shrek left was only partially from that deal. Did'nt we get £10 million straight up for him?? We then lost big time on Kroldrup, spent £2 million on a Dutchman that drank much more than he played and signed Arteta for an absolute bargain. Dont think for one minute we stepped up a level once Rooney left because we did'nt. I can tell you how we improved, because when Rooney played for us, it was all Rooney this, Rooney that. Once he left, we where looked at as a team and not just soley on one individual player. We got stronger mentally form his departure to prove that we was not a one man team.

Last edited:
Are these really facts?

Not saying your wrong like but I do remember it being mentioned that the Lescott and Johnson deals where paid for by the TV money that we recieved that season.

Anyway, Moyes wasted alot of the Rooney money on [Poor language removed] players, the wrong players.

Well he hasn't wasted any money this summer... Yet.

Are these really facts?

02 Net £975,000
03 Net £8.25m
04 Net £1.5m
05 Net -£20.2m
06 Net £25.1m
07 Net £4m
08 Net £10.5
09 Net £4.5m

Transfer League

Those are just the figures I have to hand really mate. Moyes clearly made some wrong buys over the years, but hes decent with the wheeling and dealing and for every Koldrup, there is an Arteta and a Pienaar.

The Rooney money help us to where we are today, it gave us more leeway with the Banks and cleared some debts, it clearly gave us a foothold.

17th to 4th, mate. Argument over.

But did'nt we finish 7th before finishing 17th followed then by our 4th placed finish? That was just one bad season for Moyes finishing 17th, finishing 4th the following season had nothing to do with the £10 million Rooney money. Case still not closed mate. (y)

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back