• Participation within this subforum is only available to members who have had 5+ posts approved elsewhere.

Just learned about Man Utd’s European ban in 1977. How bad was English hooliganism in the 1970s?

Status
Not open for further replies.

artetas_biggest_fan

Player Valuation: £6m
I’d been watching YouTube footage of Man United being relegated via Denis Law’s backheel in the mid 1970s, then this popped up as a recommended video...

Man United banned in Europe in 1977 due to riots and fighting before a Cup winner cup game in France with 33 people taken to hospital. (BBC news report starts 3 minutes in)

Complete news to me. The only major European ban for English hooliganism I was aware of this decade was Leeds United who were banned for four years due to rioting after the 1975 EC final.

Says in this article, “In 1975, hooliganism was on the rise but still a far cry from its peak in the 1980’s”

So how bad was it in the 1970s? Were club’s hooligan firms fully established at this stage or did they really kick off in the 1980s?

Pretty bad. I wouldn't blame them for bann8 g any club where the fans behave like Neanderthals.

Of course when the inevitable happened and the rs did the same, uefa couldn't just ban them could they? Oh no, they had to ban the innocent as well. To lump every team together like that was an unmitigated act of institutional racism.

Pretty bad. I wouldn't blame them for bann8 g any club where the fans behave like Neanderthals.

Of course when the inevitable happened and the rs did the same, uefa couldn't just ban them could they? Oh no, they had to ban the innocent as well. To lump every team together like that was an unmitigated act of institutional racism.

Personally I’m not sure If the PM hadn’t started the discussion of withdrawing English teams that UEFA would have carried out the blanket ban . It made things easy for them

Personally I’m not sure If the PM hadn’t started the discussion of withdrawing English teams that UEFA would have carried out the blanket ban . It made things easy for them
This is true, Maggie Thatcher the most detestable icon of tory britain practically invited the ban. She was looking for everything and anything to subjugate, humiliate and destroy the will of the working classes.

And she won.

Which is why I would never, ever vote for that party of sociopaths.

This is true, Maggie Thatcher the most detestable icon of tory britain practically invited the ban. She was looking for everything and anything to subjugate, humiliate and destroy the will of the working classes.

And she won.

Which is why I would never, ever vote for that party of sociopaths.
There's at least one person on here who voted for her and regards her as a political centrist. Insane IMO.

There was little or no segregation on the terraces so the police were really up against it.

I remember going to Leeds v Hibs in mid 70s and there were mounted police charging about trying to keep order before and after the match.
It was absolutely ridiculous in hindsight.

There was little or no segregation on the terraces so the police were really up against it.

I remember going to Leeds v Hibs in mid 70s and there were mounted police charging about trying to keep order before and after the match.
It was absolutely ridiculous in hindsight.
I recall going to Upton park where there was segregation, but there wasn't.
About 1980 if you went you'll understand.

I’d been watching YouTube footage of Man United being relegated via Denis Law’s backheel in the mid 1970s, then this popped up as a recommended video...

Man United banned in Europe in 1977 due to riots and fighting before a Cup winner cup game in France with 33 people taken to hospital. (BBC news report starts 3 minutes in)

Complete news to me. The only major European ban for English hooliganism I was aware of this decade was Leeds United who were banned for four years due to rioting after the 1975 EC final.

Says in this article, “In 1975, hooliganism was on the rise but still a far cry from its peak in the 1980’s”

So how bad was it in the 1970s? Were club’s hooligan firms fully established at this stage or did they really kick off in the 1980s?

Totally normal behavior.

It's a bit like that saying 'the older I get, the better I was'.

As time passes the mythology around hooliganism expands to fill the void.

It was bad but there were still plenty of people that went to every game home and away and were never involved in anything.

It's a bit like that saying 'the older I get, the better I was'.

As time passes the mythology around hooliganism expands to fill the void.

It was bad but there were still plenty of people that went to every game home and away and were never involved in anything.

As someone who went to Everton away games all over the place in the late seventies and through the eighties I’d have to agree with this! My feeling at the time was there would be trouble to be had if that was your thing and you wanted to get involved, but if you didn’t go looking it was quite avoidable! A couple of noticeable exceptions were Old Trafford where they’d wait in the side streets as we got herded back to the coaches (irrespective of whether or not you’d gone on a coach!). For some reason it also got interesting outside Wolves a couple of times!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back