Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.
…supports my view that he won’t be the person directly identifying targets. He’s described himself as a ‘Line Manager’, I think he’ll co-ordinate effort across the club to ensure a joined-up, strategic approach.

i imagine he’ll have a Head of Recruitment who, along with Lampard will suggest which players come & go. The Head of Recruitment will manage scouting network. Just my thoughts.

Yeah, he's the full director of football from top to bottom, not just the transfer negotiations man

I feel this too Eggs I think he is very much someone who is focused on getting the structure in place to allow the first team to be a success, while building the academy up to allow players to progress, the fact he has held academy roles says this to me.

I imagine that Head of Recruitment/Scouting will have a much bigger job under Thelwell... Who is in this role now? it was Gretar Steinsson whatever role wasn't it, so this role is pivotal at the moment, lets hope our current scouting network has got a clear remit and players lined up for evaluation.
I think under brands it was him doing all the buying/selling/loaning and everything else then having to get permission off the board and Moshiri. He even said himself he done way to many transfers. I think he basically got overwhelmed and wasnt allowed to dictate responsibility. Unsworth had control over the academy and both where Separate entities.

Under Thelwell it seems much more he’s in control of the football side and setting up departments that report to him and he over sees everything rather then doing everything so he can focus on what’s important

Think that was the problem. We bought in a completely unqualified DOF who didn’t have a clue what he was doing. Then bought in a DOF who had no idea how to spend money and wasnt given control over managers and didn’t like the managers or build like his previous jobs in Holland

Feel finally we got the right DOF at the right time. A builder who’s done it before and seems to have much more control

Hopefully someone who finds decent loans for our players instead of us currently sending them out to the worst possible teams and ultimately stunting their growth as players!!
Perhaps, it's also a shift away from the days of focusing on wining the U23 league as we saw under Unsworth, or at least that's how it came across.

Ensuring as many as of our players as possible receive competitive football at teams/under coaches that will significantly develop them is vital.

Even if it's x-amount of months in a year at the club and another y-amount of months in League 1/2, Scotland or abroad, we need to players developing.

People may say he's shifting responsibility to others or whatnot, but the setup under Brands, for whatever reason, didn't work. We need this to work!

I mean that’s not really a full time job is it? Teams only play once a week. Maybe it only pays part time, who knows.
We have a lot of players on the books and finding loans has been a serious problem at Everton. So having someone who finds the right loan, goes to see the player and does all the analysis that goes with it

I mean that’s not really a full time job is it? Teams only play once a week. Maybe it only pays part time, who knows.

Players train all week, they have to settle in, he might go see how they're doing living on their own for the first time, make sure they're on top of their nutrition etc. Lots of things.

No job is busy full time, every day of the week and if you say you have one you're a liar.

Status
Not open for further replies.