Kevin Thelwell - New Director of Football

Status
Not open for further replies.

The players linked sound quite uninspiring.

Clearly going for British/PL experience if links are true. Seems like Lampard is in the driving seat with regard to the identification of targets.

Can understand the need for caution but excessive caution can just result in a shuffling about of the squad with little gain.

I've said it elsewhere but my feeling is both Lampard and Thelwell have been chastened by what they've seen over the last few months.

Allocating severely limited finance to signing virtual unknowns has either gone out the window or was never an objective to begin with.

Despite overwhelming fan support and goodwill, Lampard probably still has an eye to ensuring he still has a job by the World Cup break and equally Thelwell wants to ensure stability on that front too.

Combine tight finances and nobody wanting to go out on a limb for a player and you get what we seem to be seeing.

…absolutely.

Head of Recruitment appointment suggests to me that Thelwell will be a Line Manager and Co-ordinator, rather than a talent spotter. The transfer record of the HoR might what we need to consider, perhaps he should be the one with the office next door to Lampard.

i don’t mind the set-up at all, at least we appear to be moving away from different individuals bringing in their own players. I can see Lampard and Thelwell working closely with HoR, with the DoF having the final say.

Who is the bloke at Wigan?
Let’s hope it’s Dr Who because he’ll need a time machine if the window has already shut before the season starts.

Clearly going for British/PL experience if links are true. Seems like Lampard is in the driving seat with regard to the identification of targets.

Can understand the need for caution but excessive caution can just result in a shuffling about of the squad with little gain.

I've said it elsewhere but my feeling is both Lampard and Thelwell have been chastened by what they've seen over the last few months.

Allocating severely limited finance to signing virtual unknowns has either gone out the window or was never an objective to begin with.

Despite overwhelming fan support and goodwill, Lampard probably still has an eye to ensuring he still has a job by the World Cup break and equally Thelwell wants to ensure stability on that front too.

Combine tight finances and nobody wanting to go out on a limb for a player and you get what we seem to be seeing.
It definitely feels like we’re playing the short game. Frustrating but understandable. The squad needs emergency surgery.

I just want one or two young prospects brought in, even with little fanfare. Just something to show there’s at least one eye on the longer term.

Given how things are looking it's safe to say that Thelwell was not involved in any of the transfers at Wolves and it was all Mendes.

I think Lampard has an English bias too. Seemed so at Chelsea too. The fact he said Richarlison is hard to talk to(albeit lightheartedly) does point to it a bit too. I can understand if it is harder to get his message across he would want to rectify that and it can only be a good thing for the academy, I just hope it doesn't cause us to miss out on some other targets and end up with someone like Harry Winks

Status
Not open for further replies.