2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
We spent £50m on Maupay, Beto and Chermiti. Now, maybe Chermiti will come good, god knows we all need that to happen, but £40m on Maupay and Beto is a ridiculous outlay and is a terrible indictment on Thelwell's ability to spot a forward. I'm also not convinced that DCL is here next season. If he doesn't sign a contract in the next couple of weeks then we'll have to sell him, if only for the PSR boost.
Without any evidence I'm pretty convinced Betos price effectively includes a loan with interest to us - if we'd have been able to pay up front I doubt he would have cost that. And the job Thelwell has had is not just identify a forward, but identify a financial plan that we can manage. Maupay was relatively cheap, Beto was bought on credit.

Without any evidence I'm pretty convinced Betos price effectively includes a loan with interest to us - if we'd have been able to pay up front I doubt he would have cost that. And the job Thelwell has had is not just identify a forward, but identify a financial plan that we can manage. Maupay was relatively cheap, Beto was bought on credit.

People keep banding this 50 mill pounds number about for Beto Maupay Chermiti. I’d be amazed, absolutely amazed if 50 mill English pounds have ever, or will ever, leave Everton’s accounts for these players. No one knows what we really paid for them, some sites have figures in pounds, some in euros, if it’s euros then it’s significantly less than that figure being banded around. There’s then a number of clauses and stipulations in all deals linked to add ons etc. which unless someone here works for the Everton commercial team is a complete unknown to us. So people just taking the highest figure they’ve seen in a newspaper and screaming about 50 million is ridiculous. I’d wager the money that leaves Everton’s bank account for these three players is significantly less and when all three eventually leave the club one day it will net off as a minimal loss at worst (a potential gain if Chermiti develops anything close to Calvert Lewin)

The exact same way we didn’t pay 40 mill for Dele Alli, and we almost certainly didn’t pay 50 mill for Richarlison or Siggurdson. Just because the Echo or Sky sports has a huge headline number, it doesn’t mean that’s what we actually paid for them.

Its not so much a loan with interest its just a premium for how we want to pay I think its absolutely guaranteed that is part of the deal Udinese would have to have been crazy to accept the same figure as they would normally expect but without any downpayment so it is almost certain to have affected the price.

The issue with Beto is that KW and Dyche probably couldn’t have banked on Dom playing as many games as he did; they must have assumed Beto would play a lot more games, which is scary.

He may have got better with more starts, but a lot of his shortcomings don’t look to be due to lack of PL experience, they look to be caused by coordination and ability generally.

Must have been tough to find a club willing to accept our embarrassing payment terms, but surely once the price went past a certain amount someone should have pulled the handbrake. We do have a history of going all in on players, with deals either falling over last minute leaving us scratching round for what’s left in the market on deadline day, or seemingly getting blinkered and bent over to get deals over the line.

Kev has done a lot of good I think under hopeless circumstances, but there are a couple of stinkers thrown in.

Its not so much a loan with interest its just a premium for how we want to pay I think its absolutely guaranteed that is part of the deal Udinese would have to have been crazy to accept the same figure as they would normally expect but without any downpayment so it is almost certain to have affected the price.
Yes, premium describes it better - ultimately a financial instrument that reflects (and factors in) the fact that we can't pay now.

The issue with Beto is that KW and Dyche probably couldn’t have banked on Dom playing as many games as he did; they must have assumed Beto would play a lot more games, which is scary.

He may have got better with more starts, but a lot of his shortcomings don’t look to be due to lack of PL experience, they look to be caused by coordination and ability generally.

Must have been tough to find a club willing to accept our embarrassing payment terms, but surely once the price went past a certain amount someone should have pulled the handbrake. We do have a history of going all in on players, with deals either falling over last minute leaving us scratching round for what’s left in the market on deadline day, or seemingly getting blinkered and bent over to get deals over the line.

Kev has done a lot of good I think under hopeless circumstances, but there are a couple of stinkers thrown in.

Kevin Wellthell?

Id be interested to know if he led the calls to rehire Dan Purdy (head of recruitment) Purdy was previously let go and then given his job back, also if you get a list of the scouts up, we have roughly had the same group of guys for a quite a while now. It's all this lot who go out actually looking for the players and I think maybe it's time for a refresh amongst them.

I agree Thelwell is working under difficult circumstances but £15m for Maupay, who had one year left on his contract, wasn't especially cheap and Beto being bought "on credit", as you put it, isn't unusual, almost all transfer fees are scheduled over the duration of the players contract. The only unusual but of that transfer was that we didn't pay anything for a year. As I stated earlier in this thread, in other areas of the pitch Thelwell's done ok, up front he's done a very poor job, imo.

Id be interested to know if he led the calls to rehire Dan Purdy (head of recruitment) Purdy was previously let go and then given his job back, also if you get a list of the scouts up, we have roughly had the same group of guys for a quite a while now. It's all this lot who go out actually looking for the players and I think maybe it's time for a refresh amongst them.

Major caveat here. Purdy was pretty much forced out by Benitez, and I believe he technically resigned. I think the way you've phrased this isn't very fair

He's got one of the most difficult jobs in PL footy.
How he's expected to carry out his role without any funds and an absent owner is a credit to him.
I think he's doing a sterling job given the absence of sterling. Saying that he would have been better signing Sterling than Maupay.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back