2023/24 Kevin Thelwell

Status
Not open for further replies.
He never broke in cos he was loaned out and injured. It's mind boggling. The Hunt one I'd worse in my view, with 1st team most of season, sometimes through necessity admittedly but cut adrift. Barking.

We don't know the full picture. They'll have weighed up giving them a contract if they thought they'd break in OR have a resale value.

Or some of these will have other clubs lined up.

Well it’s a better chess move than extending their contracts which is what previous DOFs did.

Do you think he negotiated the lower wages for new signings too?

What a convenient argument though. Anything good isn’t down to him, every single bad thing is though. It’s exactly the same argument people have for Dyche.

Must just be a massive coincidence that the two most critical roles on the footballing side of the club are responsible for everything wrong on the pitch yet we’ve coincidentally improved at the same time (nothing to do with them of course)

What an utterly laughable juvenile argument
Wages down - high earners left at the end of their contract.

Net spend down - The club hasn’t a penny to its name

Points up - He does not manage the team

But kudos for spending £40m on Beto and Maupay and not making any significant progress in the youth department

Congratulations to Kevin Thelwell for getting our wage bill down by allowing players on high salaries to walk out the door for nothing

What a 4d chess move
It's not really his fault that crap players on champions league wages couldn't be sold for actual money, as the last few blokes in his position found out. Buying Maupay for £15m is. But that's still an improvement on paying £25-30m for rubbish like Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Tosun, Walcott, & Keane, plus some I've deleted from memory. Crap, but better crap, is I suppose, an improvement.

It's not really his fault that crap players on champions league wages couldn't be sold for actual money, as the last few blokes in his position found out. Buying Maupay for £15m is. But that's still an improvement on paying £25-30m for rubbish like Schneiderlin, Bolasie, Tosun, Walcott, & Keane, plus some I've deleted from memory. Crap, but better crap, is I suppose, an improvement.

Nah disagree with this... best to not spend at all rather than spend on crap, even if the crap isn't quite as crap as our previous crap.

All DOFs/scouting systems etc will pick up the off duffer who don't work out, our problem is we have a list as long as your arm of them. Maupay would have fallen into the 'low cost who didn't work out' category if we hadn't been so chronically run beforehand, but because of where we are he's another to add to the long list of reasons why we are where we are financially.

Nah disagree with this... best to not spend at all rather than spend on crap, even if the crap isn't quite as crap as our previous crap.

All DOFs/scouting systems etc will pick up the off duffer who don't work out, our problem is we have a list as long as your arm of them. Maupay would have fallen into the 'low cost who didn't work out' category if we hadn't been so chronically run beforehand, but because of where we are he's another to add to the long list of reasons why we are where we are financially.
You know how fickle us fans are. Spend no money and it's "where's the new attacking players Kev!". Spend money on crap players it's "Yeah! New players!" Until after we've seen how crap they are.

Wages down - high earners left at the end of their contract.

Net spend down - The club hasn’t a penny to its name

Points up - He does not manage the team

But kudos for spending £40m on Beto and Maupay and not making any significant progress in the youth department

He didn’t offer them new contracts though! Do you not see this is a choice?! We could have kept on Coady Mina Gomes Dele if we’d wanted to. We didn’t, that’s partly down to Thelwell. We’ve then replaced these players with cheaper ones.

Ultimately it doesn’t really matter which thread of the jumper you try to pull at. Regardless of who has reduced the net spend, or who has improved the league positions both have happened under Thelwell’s watch and they weren’t happening under previous DOF’s who presided over increasing wage bills, increasing net spend and decreasing league positions. If you want to give Dyche the credit for improving league performance that’s great, who hired him though?

If wages were sky high, net spend out of control, and we’d have been relegated you’d be absolutely on here laying the blame at Yhelwell. You simply can’t have it both ways.

I'd take any of them ahead of £30m for Beto

Transfers............when you look at it objectively, don't work around 60% of the time!
Or if i want to counter argue myself..........you mid level transfers...........never seem to work!
Big money ones, you almost guarantee's on your wonderkids or superstars (like when the reds went and got Van Dijk, Allison & Fabinho for £200m) they tend to work!
Free transfers can also work, more on the basis is they cost you less than a £20-30m squad player!

But go and look at the Premier League transfers over the past few years, lets say at this point in time an average transfer would cost around £20-£40m! You dont get more than a squad player for that type of money

Jurien Timber
Pau Torres
Tyler Adams
Hammad Traore
Alex Scott
Nathan Collins
Kevin Schade
Carlos Baleba
Joao Pedro
Robert Sanchez
Nicolas Jackson
Axel Dissasi
Lesley Ugochuckwo
Adam Wharton
Matheus Franca
Beto
Alex Iwobi
Calvin Bassey
Ryan Gravenbach
Waturo Endo
Matteo Kovacic
Tino Liveremento
Harvey Barnes
Ibrahima Sangare
Cameron Archer
Pedro Porro
Dejan Kulusevski
Radi Dragjuan
Edison Alvarez
James Ward Prowse
Konstatinos Mavropanos

How many of those signings represent 'value for money' maybe 2 or 3? Majority of these players are just squad players similar to the level of what the buying clubs already have on the books!,and that's even before i go into the flops that cost £40m+
Unless your spending big big money, there isnt value in these mid level signings!

You are probably better keeping your powder dry if you have limited funds! And either go for the free's or under £10m players! Or build that ot up and go for a game changer!

Transfers............when you look at it objectively, don't work around 60% of the time!
Or if i want to counter argue myself..........you mid level transfers...........never seem to work!
Big money ones, you almost guarantee's on your wonderkids or superstars (like when the reds went and got Van Dijk, Allison & Fabinho for £200m) they tend to work!
Free transfers can also work, more on the basis is they cost you less than a £20-30m squad player!

But go and look at the Premier League transfers over the past few years, lets say at this point in time an average transfer would cost around £20-£40m! You dont get more than a squad player for that type of money

Jurien Timber
Pau Torres
Tyler Adams
Hammad Traore
Alex Scott
Nathan Collins
Kevin Schade
Carlos Baleba
Joao Pedro
Robert Sanchez
Nicolas Jackson
Axel Dissasi
Lesley Ugochuckwo
Adam Wharton
Matheus Franca
Beto
Alex Iwobi
Calvin Bassey
Ryan Gravenbach
Waturo Endo
Matteo Kovacic
Tino Liveremento
Harvey Barnes
Ibrahima Sangare
Cameron Archer
Pedro Porro
Dejan Kulusevski
Radi Dragjuan
Edison Alvarez
James Ward Prowse
Konstatinos Mavropanos

How many of those signings represent 'value for money' maybe 2 or 3? Majority of these players are just squad players similar to the level of what the buying clubs already have on the books!,and that's even before i go into the flops that cost £40m+
Unless your spending big big money, there isnt value in these mid level signings!

You are probably better keeping your powder dry if you have limited funds! And either go for the free's or under £10m players! Or build that ot up and go for a game changer!
A lot of those are young players whose value will appreciate and a lot of those are clearly more than squad players

Up to this point has done an OK job in my opinion.

He has brought the wage bill down (and it will reduce even further over the next few months) and moved players on for profit.

In an ideal world we'd probably have kept the likes of Simms and Cannon and loaned them out again to bump up their price tag further, but ~£20million for those 2 isn't a bad return really.

Jury is still out on Beto. He's not a DCL replacement in our current system as his strength isn't with his back to goal... he needs to be on the shoulder looking to get in behind. Hopefully with 12 months PL experience under his belt he can kick on a bit next season and give us a bit more of a goal return.

Chermiti is a youngster, will see how he progresses. Clearly a talented lad but very raw from the few occasions he got minutes.

His big job this summer is to get more pace into the team and replace any outgoings for less than what we sell for (whoever that may be) so we can at least maintain a lower midtable finish next season.

How hard can it be?
Jury’s come back in, yeah, just as I thought Beto is carp. He’s not up to it.

He’s another Keane, but he’s a forward, allegedly, rather than a defender. Only difference is Keane has been here longer, and been given a stupid contract so we know how shoite he is. Beto, we’ll give it another season.. he will be in the same boat as Keane, or holgate.

The whole "He bought Maupay" thing is true.

But Maupay is sellable. He's 27, average PL wage, decent PL goalscoring record, fits a certain type of playing style. He'll have suitors that we can get £10mill+ for him.

Everyone else we couldn't shift (pre Thelwell) were tied up on £100k a week contracts we couldn't shift.

A lot of those are young players whose value will appreciate and a lot of those are clearly more than squad players
Or a lot are young players who just wont adapt well to the PL, get used to the country, be to mush of a step up and be a squad option for 3-4 years until they are moved on for less!

Alvaraz, Porro, Iwobi, Pedro, Jackson & Torres are probably guarenteed starters for there club, and thats me being kind to Jackson

The whole "He bought Maupay" thing is true.

But Maupay is sellable. He's 27, average PL wage, decent PL goalscoring record, fits a certain type of playing style. He'll have suitors that we can get £10mill+ for him.

Everyone else we couldn't shift (pre Thelwell) were tied up on £100k a week contracts we couldn't shift.
im more concerned about the 'He bought Beto' thing!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Welcome to GrandOldTeam

Get involved. Registration is simple and free.

Back